Tactical - Assualt Rifles

You have the Acog on one rifle. What is your opinion of that VS the Eotech?? Better for long range? Dot or Chevron? BTW, anyone looking for an Eotech or Acog PM me and I will give you a smoking deal

The Eotech was initially faster for me but with trigger time my ACOG was just as fast. There is plenty of eye relief on the TA33R8 and the chevron acts as a dot on close shots. It does shine from 100 - 300 meters. Overall I like the versatility of the TA33R8. I can shoot quickly and accurately inside 25m and make precision hits out to 600m.

Just get one of these instead…. :)

scar_mk16_std_large.png

I think that I need to learn about the Optics for these guns too, right now I am somewhat confused.

Kevin

Don't let optics hold you back. Learn to shoot good with the iron sites first then worry about optics.

Please school on twist rates 1:7 vs 1:9 and bullet weights....

If you plan to shoot anything over 62 grain (M855 being most common 62g) then you would want the 1:7 to stabilize the bullet. If all you plant to do is shoot 55g and 62g 5.56 the 1:9 will work fine. If you like to be as close to the real thing then stick with 1:7 twist. There is some 1:8 twist out there as well.

Last edited:
Just get one of these instead…. :)

scar_mk16_std_large.png

The SCAR is pretty cool and I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers but for the money it doesn't do anything better than my AR's and doesn't do a lot of things my AR can (multi caliber)

The Eotech was initially faster for me but with trigger time my ACOG was just as fast. There is plenty of eye relief on the TA33R8 and the chevron acts as a dot on close shots. It does shine from 100 - 300 meters. Overall I like the versatility of the TA33R8. I can shoot quickly and accurately inside 25m and make precision hits out to 600m.

WV-

Have you taught yourself to shoot both eyes open with your TA33? I was able to do this with my ACOGs to good effect. However, I still believe for a true close in fighting sight, the EOTech is better suited. When the adrenaline starts pumping, tunnel vision kicks in bad enough, and my experience is that, the EOTech is the best to minimize this effect. I have shot both side by side, shooting live fires in shoot houses and urban combat settings, and the EOTech is faster.

I do think the TA33 is a good compromise though, between speed and precision.

A lot of this is about how your brain processes the sight picture and communicates with your limbs. As WV mentioned, get good with iron sights, and try out some different sights, and see what produces the best results for you.

WV-

Have you taught yourself to shoot both eyes open with your TA33? I was able to do this with my ACOGs to good effect. However, I still believe for a true close in fighting sight, the EOTech is better suited. When the adrenaline starts pumping, tunnel vision kicks in bad enough, and my experience is that, the EOTech is the best to minimize this effect. I have shot both side by side, shooting live fires in shoot houses and urban combat settings, and the EOTech is faster.

I do think the TA33 is a good compromise though, between speed and precision.

A lot of this is about how your brain processes the sight picture and communicates with your limbs. As WV mentioned, get good with iron sights, and try out some different sights, and see what produces the best results for you.

Yes, I shoot the TA33 with both eyes open. For me the site becomes very clear with both eyes open. Also, it is not my first choice for home defense which would be the only place I would be doing CQB. One of my Glock 19's and 870 Tactical are my first line of defense. I'm picking up a Sig P227 tomorrow so the 19 may find another role, perhaps sent off to get an RMR. For me an ACOG covers a bit of everything I might encounter if the AR were to be my primary weapon.

Having said that, I still have an itch to try an Aimpoint T-1. I have thousands of rounds invested in training with the ACOG though so I am not in a huge hurry to change things up.

Having said that, I still have an itch to try an Aimpoint T-1. I have thousands of rounds invested in training with the ACOG though so I am not in a huge hurry to change things up.

I understand the conundrum. Between my EO and ACOG, I probably have fired close to 100k rounds on oneway and two-way ranges ;) , they are almost like an extension of my eye. You spend that much time with them and you are bound to get a little biased.

I really hope most of those 100's of thousands of rounds are on a One way range! Seriously, Thanks for Serving!

I large majority were, thankfully. It is almost to the point now where I only shoot for work, and to practice/zero for hunting. Shooting for recreation has lost most of its luster. Also, you are very welcome.

I would suggest a gas piston operated AR-15 from Sig or HK. But that is going well beyond $1k. But there are several direct impingement AR-15 that are well under $1k that are very nice. You will get the best deal at a local gun show. Most AR's are chambered for 5.56 X 45mm or .223 these days. Here is a link to the best made AR-15's for $1,200 and under and why.
http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back