PEAX Equipment

Tacoma 2021

Might be worth a read...
I’ve driven Tacoma double cab 4x4’s since 2006. My 2nd Gens were better trucks than my new 2020, IMO. The 3.5 V6 is terrible, very sluggish out of the gate and the transmission is shifty. All of my 2nd Gen 4.0 engines was super quick and transmissions were great.
I have 8600 miles on my 2020 and do not really like the truck, can’t believe Toyota put this engine and transmission combo in the 3rd Gen.
I’ll probably trade this one soon.
Best of luck to you.
Great minds thinking alike. Good link, NRPATE. Thanks for posting.

Here's my dilemma and reason for original posting. I have had two previous Tacoma's, a 1989, 4-cyl., 5-speed manual and a 1998 6-cyl., auto. (Why did I sell the 1998 beats me.) I really liked both of them, I only had to replace the starter in the '98 other than that I had absolutely no problems, very reliable and both would go anywhere, especially with chains. I do a lot of elk and deer hunting in CO and my F-150 is just to big to get into some of the spots I could easily drive a Tacoma. I don't need a tow truck or a tremendously big engine. The Tundra's size and 8-cyl., I don't need and the poor gas mileage I don't want. Now reading about the pros and cons of the 3rd generation Tacoma, the dilemma continues. Any additional 2021 Tacoma insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Go find a clean 98-2002 Tacoma and rebuild it. Even a half custom job would be better than any truck now,after 2 years, and cost less. IMHO
Then pick up a similar F-150 for bigger jobs and a comfort ride.
That's what I did. Now I have 2 reliable trucks and I can go thru the FEW things worn on my 98 Tacoma,with 365k on it. Only reason I don't drive it more now is Rio likes the room in the Ford. LOL

I guess I don’t understand the dilemma. Buy what you want and like. Like @hank4elk pointed out, you don’t have to buy new.

I sold my 2010 taco last September and am now in an f150. I loved my taco! But the 4x4 was frustrating with no lockers, and taking my family and the mother in-law was tight. So I sadly sold it to a guy who had a 3rd gen off road edition and hated it, and had been looking for a second gen. The f150 is fun to drive and has loads of comfortable room in the cabin. But I think it will take me a few years before I’m no longer skeptical. I do miss the narrow wheel base when I’m in the mountains. If I ever get another taco it will be a second gen and it will be getting lockers!47CFAB4F-CA2C-4089-BC4C-E7672A3B4E39.jpegB3E59A42-8F58-4917-92BF-CB974ACA798B.jpeg

I have a third generation Tacoma (2021) TRd-off-road and it has a locking rear differential. I love it. I think when something has been so good for so long, like with the Tacoma brand, people start to take it for granted and/ or begin to bash it. Kind of like how Lebron should probably win the MVP every year haha.

My 2014 Tacoma has never needed anything done to it. 145,000 miles and drives like new still. Kind of have been looking for an excuse to get a 2021 so it will be interesting to hear reviews of them as they roll out. I'll probably drive the 2014 for another 5 years though....

I have a 2018 TRD Off Road with 6' bed and my wife has a 2019 TRD Pro. Mine is like others have said, looks for gears a lot and shifts up and down more than I'm accustomed to. Other than that it runs fine and I've not found it lacking anywhere. I wish the cab was another 1" taller. I'm 6' and its comfortable but would be nice to have a bit more head room. I get around 17-18mpg on the highway.
Hers seems to be geared slightly different as it doesn't shift as much and feels a little more responsive. Could be the shorter bed, not sure. She gets 18-20mpg on the highway.

Might be worth a read...
As a Tacoma owner - I’m glad I read this article,
advice.

Currently own a 6spd Manual 2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab Short Bed. I’m 6’ 4,” I don’t have trouble getting in for what that’s worth.

Great mountain truck, gets me places most full-sized trucks wouldn’t fit. That being said - it’s not a truck for everybody. I don’t haul the family around in it, wanted a Manual, prioritize reliability, the new Jeep Gladiator was out of the price range, and I don’t use the vehicle to tow anything.

This picture is of the aforementioned truck at the top of a pass in the dead of CO 2nd season, numerous times this truck has gotten me home and out of a tight spot.

33EBC000-A6F8-4D62-AF66-5C80D5913320.jpeg

Last edited:
Since you asked...

IMO, and from what I know from my friend's trucks and my personal research; Tacoma's are underpowered, overpriced, outdated, uncomfortable, too small inside, have poor visibility, and are relying on a reputation built forty years ago in third-world countries. They do now have a power-adjustable driver seat, so that's good... in 1997.

After comparing them all, I bought a new Ranger. But I'd also get a Colorado before I bought a Tacoma. Maybe even a new Frontier.

But, it's never fair to begrudge somebody how they spend their own money.

Buy what you like and enjoy it!

Just wondering if anyone has pro and cons on the Tacoma SR5 4x4 4 door for 2021 or is it too early? Thinking about getting one and trade in my 150. Thanks for any info out there.
@westelker How old is your F150 and what are your main reasons for wanting to get a Tacoma over another Full-Size pickup?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back