Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tacoma 2021

Westelker - W. Colorado

Just wondering if anyone has pro and cons on the Tacoma SR5 4x4 4 door for 2021 or is it too early? Thinking about getting one and trade in my 150. Thanks for any info out there.

Not 2021 specific, but as a previous Taco and now F150 owner my first question would be how tall are you? I had a Taco from 09 to 16 and it was a great little truck but it is CONSIDERABLY smaller inside than a 150. When I first started looking for a new truck (just got my F150 not quite a month ago) I did drive a Taco for reference and I had forgotten how tight it is for both driver and passenger. Also, my Taco got MAYBE 1 mpg better than my V8 F150 is getting. My 2 cents.

I feel like new Tacoma's are a step backward from the 2nd gen. My sister has a 3rd gen and it is kind of a bummer. The engine is weak (which I think it shares with the Camry, so that says something...) and doesn't really work well with the transmission. It seems to always be revving and searching for gears. I'm also tall, so I don't really fit in it as the seating is kind of awkward. The midsize truck segment has a lot of good competitors now and I think the Taco has been outpaced a little bit. I also live in a place where pretty much everyone drives one so I like to give them a hard time!

I went from a 2nd Gen to a Silverado... Man, I like my big truck that can easily haul my ATV and RV but I really miss my Tacoma. That thing was an absolute beast and I put almost no money in that thing and I beat it to chit for 10 years.

The guy who bought it from me ships them across the border and said mine would most likely be sold in Montana. Somewhere, some lucky SOB got a great deal on a 2011 Tacoma TRD...

I have the 2015 version of that truck, so 2nd generation and not what you’re looking at, but it has been a fantastic little truck. I can’t tell my ass from a head gasket, so I wanted something with a reputation for long term reliability, something I could depend on to just turn the key and go. I’ve gotten that so far, never had a single problem with it. However, a number of times when I took it back to the dealership for routine maintenance, the guys working on the truck would tell me that 2015 was the last good year, and that the newer Tacomas have had a lot of problems, particularly with the transmission. Take that for what it’s worth, from a guy who admittedly knows little about cars.

Also, going from an F150 to a Tacoma, you will definitely notice the size difference. Since buying my truck I’ve had two kids, and squeezing a family of four in that thing for a week long camping trip is reminiscent of Chris Farley putting on David Spade’s coat.

I'm 6'2" and fit in my 98 Tacoma fine. Even had 5 in it once for a ride down to the lake,1/2 mi...lol. 335kmi.
Lots more room in my 01 F-150 tho. 135kmi.
No major problems with either.

IF I had the $ for a new truck now,I wouldn't buy new. I'd buy a used one in a year that was good and go thru it. Not impressed with many makers or models these days with reports of problems or worn out at 100k...........

I have 2020 TRD Offroad. I have not experienced the transmission issue that a lot of folks with the 3rd gens from the first couple years talk about. It has been nothing but spectacular in every aspect. Got way further into the mountains than my Ram could have gotten just because of the skinnier wheelbase. I'm 5-9 and have had no issues fitting in the cab. Comfortable ride for long trips.

I just sold my 2017 Taco. It was a great truck and would be perfect for two...there are three in my family and we are all taller. It really is a bare bones (TRD off-road model) truck that lacks a lot of the modern safety features. That said, the resale value is crazy.

I bought a 2020 Tacoma TRd Off road with the 6 foot bed and love it. I have a topper too so I can sleep under it. I drove a full size truck before but ended up the the Taco for its reliability and I like the smaller size since I’m not very big myself (5’10 and 160 lbs). I love how easy it is to navigate in the forest when I have to turn around, reverse out, etc. And it’s easier to park on regular life too. I didn’t need a full size truck and even though I admit the gas mileage is similar, I still like the mid-sized much better. I splurged for the highest trim package since I plan to keep this truck for at least 10 years so mine has all the creature comforts and then some.

After reading these posts I would go with the Tundra instead. For some reason hearing "Taco" multiple times in a post has soured me. Guessing those same guys threw out "get er done" multiple times a day as well. :D

Only sort of kidding. I had a '98 tacoma that treated me well as well as a 2006 and 2016 Tundra. I will get another tundra at some point. Talk of the '22 has me thinking.

Patiently waiting for a diesel Tundra, or even a Hilux style microdiesel Tacoma. That would be amazing. I just can’t get behind the crappy mileage on the newer Tundras or the complete absence of creature comforts in the Tacoma. Have had both. I still have a taco in the driveway.

Hey man dont limit yourself get the best of both worlds,
Toyota Tundra.
Its the real deal.

so far im liking my 2020 tacoma "sport",,,i opted for the 6 speed manual transmission as there are very few sticks available these days//only 7 k so far so good,,got it lifted 3"front ,2" rear and running 285,s on it now with no rub.

I'm 6'2" and fit in my 98 Tacoma fine. Even had 5 in it once for a ride down to the lake,1/2 mi...lol. 335kmi.
Lots more room in my 01 F-150 tho. 135kmi.
No major problems with either.

IF I had the $ for a new truck now,I wouldn't buy new. I'd buy a used one in a year that was good and go thru it. Not impressed with many makers or models these days with reports of problems or worn out at 100k...........
My first car was an 86 Subaru GL hatchback. Record was 13 people down to the lake.

I’ve driven Tacoma double cab 4x4’s since 2006. My 2nd Gens were better trucks than my new 2020, IMO. The 3.5 V6 is terrible, very sluggish out of the gate and the transmission is shifty. All of my 2nd Gen 4.0 engines was super quick and transmissions were great.
I have 8600 miles on my 2020 and do not really like the truck, can’t believe Toyota put this engine and transmission combo in the 3rd Gen.
I’ll probably trade this one soon.
Best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back