Swarovski spotting scope Which one to buy??

Muley Crazy

Looking at up grading to a swaro spotting scope but not sure which one to get any recommendations would be of great help. which one do own use and why??:confused:

I have the 80mm straight tube. Not HD. I look at HD, and could not justify the price, unless I was digiscoping, or some other specialized application.

I love it. Everyone who uses it loves it. Almot have to hide it from people, as it has a habit of mysteriously ending up in the other guys pack.

If you do a lot of glassing, it will be worth it.

Looking at up grading to a swaro spotting scope but not sure which one to get any recommendations would be of great help. which one do own use and why??:confused:

Stay away from the angled eye peice IMO. They get a little tricky to find things in. I have used them some and don't much care for the angled, the glass is unbeatable. I am looking at up-grading from my Nikon HD to a Swarovski as well.hump

Don't overlook Zeiss if you have not completely decided what you want. Zeiss only makes "HD" versions of their Diascopes, and they are comparably priced to the Swaro's standard glass. I compared the two side by side and preferred the Zeiss. I know at least one other person who has used both and feels the same way. And I went with the big objective (85mm) and straight tube as well.

THANKS Big shooter that was one of my concerns straight or angled good info for sure !!

Oak I hunted with a Zeiss all last year, it was great for sure but I got a deal on Swaro's
%50 any 2 items so for the money I have to go with Swaro's. Why did you go with the 85 mm and not a 65 mm Thanks again for all of the great info !!

I had the same debate a few years ago. I bought the 65 instead of the 80. The price and weight were big reasons. The main reason was because I don't use my spotter to glass much, I should but don't. I mostly use it when something a few miles away seems out of place or just for judging the animal. When using a spotter it seems like the heat waves get bad so early in the morning anymore that no matter what obj I'm using wouldn't help.

I'd get the straight lens. I can't find a dang thing with the angled scope after I have found it with my bino's. I don't by the part where it is easier on your back/neck whatever when using the angled. Most of the time you need your scope and tripod really low so you can look down into your scope. Hard to do sometimes when in flat country unless your standing or kneeling. Just let me look straight ahead like every other optic we use and I'm happy.

Why did you go with the 85 mm and not a 65 mm

Greenhorn told me to go big or go home.

Actually, I was using an 82mm Kowa before I bought the Zeiss. I use the scope a LOT for work, and prefer the increased magnification of the larger scope (65mm is 15-45x, 85mm is 20-60x). I also like the wider field of view with the bigger scope. I'm willing to lug the thing around while hunting now. When I get to be noharleyyets's age, I'll probably want to drop down to something a little lighter.

I suggest laying the 80 and 65 side by side. Not much difference in weight (specially when you have cannons like IDBugle), an extra 2" in length, everything else is the same. I packed a loaner 65 for 2 years and loved it until I tested an 80 next to one in low light. I skipped the HD option also. I've been happy with my decision. Lely just bought the straight 80 last week.

My cannons look nothing like MR ID Bugler my belly yes ! HAHHAHA (by the way ID Bugler I enjoyed your mule deer info at the sport show!)My plan is once I get down to 185lbs I going to pull the trigger on the spotting scope so weight is not a major issue. Again great info guys thanks !! now my only worry is will the 80mm fit in my Eberlestock blue widow pack ??

I'll keep settling for Fin's hand me downs. Hurry up and get tired of the 80 Randy...you can send it with the rifle.:)

My cannons look nothing like MR ID Bugler my belly yes ! HAHHAHA (by the way ID Bugler I enjoyed your mule deer info at the sport show!)My plan is once I get down to 185lbs I going to pull the trigger on the spotting scope so weight is not a major issue. Again great info guys thanks !! now my only worry is will the 80mm fit in my Eberlestock blue widow pack ??
Man I wish you would have introduced yourself. I was pretty nervous up there being a virgin speaker and all. After it got rolling I was ok and got into it a little more.

I suggest laying the 80 and 65 side by side. Not much difference in weight (specially when you have cannons like IDBugle), an extra 2" in length, everything else is the same. I packed a loaner 65 for 2 years and loved it until I tested an 80 next to one in low light. I skipped the HD option also. I've been happy with my decision. Lely just bought the straight 80 last week.
Ha ha. I guess that's why I have the 65 and complain about the weight. I do agree that the 80's would be better at low light but by that time I'm hoping I'm using my rifle scope instead of my spotter.

I'll keep settling for Fin's hand me downs. Hurry up and get tired of the 80 Randy...you can send it with the rifle.:)

Standby Harley. Wife has threatened another "fire sale" of my stuff, if I don't get a few things taken care of around the house. Since I don't do handywork, might be some good deals to be had. :eek:

I have that rifle ready to ship, just need to break it in a little longer. Would hate to send it to you without making sure it was operating properly. I am sure you understand. ;)

I've been looking at the straight 80 for a while now. Hopin about Christmas time will be able to get one. Has anyone looked through the new 25-50 wide angle lens Swarovski just put out for them? Thoughts?

As an FYI, Cameraland has demo models of the 65mm Diascopes with variable eye pieces for $1200... They're the non Lotutech version (which does nothing to enhance the quality of image only for ease of cleaning from what Doug said). The eye piece retails for $500 alone. I picked one up about a month ago and so far love it. I think new this package is about $1600

Once I find a 85mm at a decent price it will go into my collection.

I have the 80HD angled. I don't really have a problem, finding things in it. Mine and I am sure they all do have that little sight that runs down the side. I just bought the 25-50 eyepiece. I have had it out a few times scouting for my Az Desert Bighorn sheep hunt this Dec.
I not sure I have noticed a big diference between the 20-60 and the 25-50. I used it a couple weeks ago and it did seem to make spending a bunch of time behind it easier, Take Care, JLG.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back