Swarovski rangefinder discontinued??

dainer

I am looking to replace my Leupold TBR DNA 1000 for long range work with my 300 RUM. I love the Leupold, but it can't handle the ranges I need. Anyways, I was leaning towards a Swarovski rangefinder to round out the collection, and everywhere I see them online says they are discontinued. Are they coming out with something better or exiting the market?? Don't really want to drop G7 coin and haven't been impressed with my buddies Leica. Any ideas??

I don't have any experience with long range rangefinders but there is a guy called Dartman that uses Vectronix rangefinders to shoot coyotes at extreme distances. I think these rangefinders are pretty expensive even compared to the G7

He has the Leica 1200 I believe. It's a few years old. I understand they have come out with newer model since. Have they improved much? Does anyone know why the swaro is discontinued? I could pick one of the few remaining up..but if they are coming out with a new model, kinda want that one.

They have come out with their EL Range binocular combination.

I would recommend trying a Swaro before buying one. I liked it much less than the Leica.

I have a Leica CRF 1200, and have gotten a chance to play with the 1600, as well as the Swaro. I would take a leica 1600 over the Swaro laser guide 8 days a week. The leica is faster to give ranges, have seen longer ranges with the leica, it has a smaller beam divergence and has a brighter display that is easier to read.

The Zeiss range finder is quite nice as well. I have played with the Zeiss some, but have not had a chance to see how it does at ranges over about 500yds.

I have also had limited time with a Vectronix Terrapin. Nice range finder, lower magnification that my Leica, and it has a BIG reticule, but it is a very accurate rangefinder at ranges I cannot touch with my CRF 1200. That being said, I'm not in a spot that I can drop $2K on a rangefinder. If you have a local leica dealer, play with a Leica 1600. I think you will like it.

I have a leica crf 1200 and love it. It is the predecessor to the 1600. I used it on my antelope hunt this fall and it was effective out to 600 yards because I couldn't hold it still with my hand. I have ranged my calves with it over 1000. As I understand it, swaro, zeiss and leica are the big three. They all have smaller beqms which does not deflect as much off of brush or flat ground ( flashlight effect). I like my leica because it was the cheapest and performed with the more expensive ones within its given range in unbiased trials. My problem with other brands is also the size of the sight picture. It is hard to tell if your on target when the bix is bigger than an elephant. I also think leica makes a an angle compensating model now. I got mine pretty reasonable off of ebay. Also I personally don't like all the extra "stuff" in the viewer of most brands. My leica only has the sight box and the range. Great glass too, I use it for a monocular bow hunting.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will check out the new Leica 1600 and see what I think.

I will attest to the Swaro El bino/ range finder combo. I was able to range trees and rocks at 2250 yds in Wyoming this fall. I was also able to range out to about 400 yds in a snow storm. They won't range less than about 35 yds or so but they will reach out a lot farther than I can. I have been extremely happy with them.

I love my new Lieca 1600. I ranged a ram in Alaska at 1900 on a rock outcropping. That's way farther than I need. I liked the idea of it being small enough for bowhunting but truly accurate enough long range ranging.

Make sure if you get the Leica 1600 that you check out the reviews between the standard 1600 and the 1600B. The 1600b has the incline and decline for bullet drop and I don't like it. The Leica 1200 has never failed me and Nikon, bushnell and Luepold are not reliable on bright days past 500 yards. The red colored display is a bounds in low light compared to black.

Another vote for the Leica 1200. I love the fact that it is small enough to keep in my front pocket. I have ranged rocks over 1200 yards in really heavy mist/clouds. On the other hand, I know a guy who is not impressed with his. I don't know if this is a QC issue, or the difference in model years.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back