Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SVB - CAO šŸ˜³

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
The math doesnā€™t lie. You can debate on the number ( it isnā€™t eight), but the minority was running the supposed majorityā€¦

The 45% is an amount that banks who donā€™t want to get ā€œrunā€ keep as an average of deposits of customers with deposits of less then $250k The 4.5% is what SVB didā€¦

Last edited:
I agree butā€¦

What does liquidity mean when ALL the other big 20 banks have a diversified deposit portfolio with about 45% or 50% of their customers have less than $250k in deposits and the 1 bank in question had ALL their deposit customers with less than 4.5% of their customers? I am not a rocket scientist but that seems like an outlier to me.
I agree. It is/was a problem. I think trying to assign the failure to a single cause is silly. Itā€™s a little of everything. You seem to be wondering the same thing as me. How is the Silicon Valley tech eco-system so tied to SVB? I donā€™t know. But I pointed out that there may be a bank Texas bank with a similar concentration to oil. Hard to say. But clearly diversification of depositor base is not regulated.

I agree. It is/was a problem. I think trying to assign the failure to a single cause is silly. Itā€™s a little of everything. You seem to be wondering the same thing as me. How is the Silicon Valley tech eco-system so tied to SVB? I donā€™t know. But I pointed out that there may be a bank Texas bank with a similar concentration to oil. Hard to say. But clearly diversification of depositor base is not regulated.
Not since the crazy era of Hunts and Silver Thursday etc.

Most companies are using the big banks.

The 45% is an amount that banks who donā€™t want to get ā€œrunā€ keep as an average of deposits of customers with deposits of less then $250k The 4.5% is what SVB didā€¦
Sure. Like I said in last post, it was a problem. But the fact that they were all connected in the same ecosystem is the problem. Peter Thiel? Maybe. Twitter? Maybe. We have a banking system running on 1950ā€™s structure, 1970ā€™s technology, meeting an instantaneous 2020ā€™s culture. Not sure the solution.

We have to keep in mind that if 90% of JP Morganā€™s deposits were pulled in 48hrs it would be out of business too, without a Fed backstop. Hence why the gov stepped in. The whole US economy is levered, to some extent.

It's funny that the guy in the original meme wasn't even important enough at Lehman to make this list. He wasn't the "CFO" of Lehman just the CFO of a division. All of the execs at Lehman moved on to bigger and better things, no issues finding new gigs:

The 80k employees at Arthur Anderson all moved on to other Big 4 and national CPA firms. Pretty sure nobody at Arthur Anderson went to jail over Enron but its been a few years since I read the details. And even the Enron guys that went to jail are now running companies and own new businesses now that they are out. I think we could start with blacklisting anybody that has ever worked for McKinsey & Co. from ever being able to work again and we might be able to start making some changes to risk management in corporate America.

It's funny that the guy in the original meme wasn't even important enough at Lehman to make this list. He wasn't the "CFO" of Lehman just the CFO of a division. All of the execs at Lehman moved on to bigger and better things, no issues finding new gigs:

The 80k employees at Arthur Anderson all moved on to other Big 4 and national CPA firms. Pretty sure nobody at Arthur Anderson went to jail over Enron but its been a few years since I read the details. And even the Enron guys that went to jail are now running companies and own new businesses now that they are out. I think we could start with blacklisting anybody that has ever worked for McKinsey & Co. from ever being able to work again and we might be able to start making some changes to risk management in corporate America.
Dude - don't harsh an excellent meme-vibe on a Friday.

Frankly, it might be the best idea every offered on HT ;)
Why don't we put a pin in that idea for the moment, we can circle back in a couple of threads, right now I want to focus on the disconnect we are having between meme humor and angry old man rants.

Perhaps we could do some break out sessions and discuss how different modalities of expression on the forum can be used to create synergies in this space.

You and Ken seem to be real thought leaders, perhaps you could lead those.

Why don't we put a pin in that idea for the moment, we can circle back in a couple of threads, right now I want to focus on the disconnect we are having between meme humor and angry old man rants.

Perhaps we could do some break out sessions and discuss how different modalities of expression on the forum can be used to create synergies in this space.

You and Ken seem to be real thought leaders, perhaps you could lead those.
This thread has become too meta ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back