SVB - CAO šŸ˜³

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
So... SVB only had 4.5% of accounts with less than $250,000 and a normal bank that size would have 45%. One thing is for sure, the little guy isn't getting bailed out on this deal.

When the smoke clears the bank should be sold, gone. No way any management team this incompetent should survive. The shareholders will unfortunately be punished, but that is how capitalism works. You let it survive and you are seeing the future of governmental banking. It will be nothing more than a slush fund for the well connected. When mistakes get made, the tax payers will get stuck.

Except for the many little guys who would like their Friday payroll to clear.

what's astonishing is how many people in this country would actually be in some trouble if one, just one, pay check doesn't clear.

really that seems like one of the biggest problems in general. but alas, it is in most cases their own damn problem

So... SVB only had 4.5% of accounts with less than $250,000 and a normal bank that size would have 45%. One thing is for sure, the little guy isn't getting bailed out on this deal.

When the smoke clears the bank should be sold, gone. No way any management team this incompetent should survive. The shareholders will unfortunately be punished, but that is how capitalism works. You let it survive and you are seeing the future of governmental banking. It will be nothing more than a slush fund for the well connected. When mistakes get made, the tax payers will get stuck.

The little guy is always bailed out, but as @TOGIE points out, the typically boat of the little guy is already half underwater.
The government controls all banking, directly or indirectly. That is the core of the American system (we tried it the other way, when we were a younger and more reckless, and it was a bit of a disaster). If the current structure is a concern, I have a shovel and a coffee can I can sell you.

The little guy is always bailed out, but as @TOGIE points out, the typically boat of the little guy is already half underwater.
The government controls all banking, directly or indirectly. That is the core of the American system (we tried it the other way, when we were a younger and more reckless, and it was a bit of a disaster). If the current structure is a concern, I have a shovel and a coffee can I can sell you.
If you think that bank was well run... good for you.

Every little community bank is benchmarked on every metric in our area quarterly. You know the big regional banks do the same thing. Its a pitiful the SVB leadership ignored the obvious and the only reason this bank is in such a quandary is because of mismanagement pure and simple. They lived by greed and will disappear because of greed. Give the depositors their money back...just force a sale of the bank so the same idiots cannot repeat the process.

And since the politician and leaders in charge donā€™t want follow on bank runs, they wonā€™t let people or companies lose money. Nobody at the bank is held accountable and they know they can take more risk, get bigger bonus, and bailed out if needed.

The Federal Reserveā€™s emergency loan program may inject as much as $2 trillion of funds into the US banking system and ease the liquidity crunch, according to JPMorgan Chase, $JPM.

Why would up to $2T need to be injected if the banking system was healthy?

Every little community bank is benchmarked on every metric in our area quarterly. You know the big regional banks do the same thing. Its a pitiful the SVB leadership ignored the obvious and the only reason this bank is in such a quandary is because of mismanagement pure and simple. They lived by greed and will disappear because of greed. Give the depositors their money back...just force a sale of the bank so the same idiots cannot repeat the process.

I think the White House clearly stated a couple of days ago that the management of the bank is to be fired. So the idiots will be on the street, presumably looking for entry level positions in the lawn care and handyman industries.

I'm not sure you read the previous posts. My first reaction (not on HT) when this arose last week was "Someone doesn't know how to run a bank". I'm not sure it was criminal, but it was stupid. Here is a little tidbit from Bloomberg article...

SVB revealed in a 2023 proxy statement that Chief Risk Officer Laura Izurieta left the company in October but stopped performing the role in April. The company said Kim Olson took over the job in December. Olson is based in New York, across the country from most of the rest of SVBā€™s top brass.

The bank is gone. My only question is the legal aspect on the bankruptcy. Are the secured creditors going to get hit in favor of depositors? Roku had over $400m in cash at the bank. Yes, it has 3000 employees, so you have to think of them too. But that is equally irresponsible. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The facility allows a bank to turn the securities into cash. It's a repurchase agreement, not a helicopter money drop. It is adding liquidity to the system because depositors are freaking out...

Again, shovels and coffee cans for sale!

And since the politician and leaders in charge donā€™t want follow on bank runs, they wonā€™t let people or companies lose money. Nobody at the bank is held accountable and they know they can take more risk, get bigger bonus, and bailed out if needed.

The Federal Reserveā€™s emergency loan program may inject as much as $2 trillion of funds into the US banking system and ease the liquidity crunch, according to JPMorgan Chase, $JPM.

Our total outstanding US "currency" is about $21T. So telling markets the Fed is prepared to inject 10% if needed to smooth out any liquidity issues seems like sound messaging.

Roku had over $400m in cash at the bank. Yes, it has 3000 employees, so you have to think of them too.

I donā€™t mean to sound heartless, but that is what unemployment is for.

A lot of the types of companies most affected by the SVB implosion are the same types of companies that have thumbed their noses at many ā€œold schoolā€ fundamental business practices.

Some lessons are meant to be learned painfully.

I donā€™t mean to sound heartless, but that is what unemployment is for.

Loss of previously earned wages is not at all what unemployment insurance is structured for.

A lot of the types of companies most affected by the SVB implosion are the same types of companies that have thumbed their noses at many ā€œold schoolā€ fundamental business practices.

Please feel to provide a list of examples - otherwise, this just seems like a small town/big city gripe - just happy to see folks in Cali get their comeuppance with few facts at hand. Banking at a large FDIC-insured bank is a fairly "old school" approach to setting up a commercial bank account.

Some lessons are meant to be learned painfully.
Why should a business using an FDIC-insured bank have to learn a painful lesson about bank management? Seems very odd.

1. Loss of future wages because your company folded is. This is the professional world I come from, these are often risky places to make a living- high risk, high reward.

2. One key example that would have been quite helpful in this case: donā€™t keep all of your money in one bank, especially one with a poorly-diversified loan book and virtually no risk management in place.

3. FDIC protection is really low in this context. As I said, SVB had a very poorly-diversified loan book (focusing on a sector that was struggling badly as of late), I think this is what lead directly to the bank run.

The tech scene did indeed get quite high on their own supply in the past several years, watching the sector get brought back to reality in real time is interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
1. Loss of future wages because your company folded is. This is the professional world I come from, these are often risky places to make a living- high risk, high reward.

You are right, but that was not what we were talking about and not what you said.

2. One key example that would have been very helpful in this case: donā€™t keep all of your money in one bank, especially one with a very poorly-diversified loan book and virtually no risk management in place.

Not what you said - you said the customers of this bank were companies that "thumbed their noses at . . . fundamental business practices". Still waiting for your examples of such customers and they "thumbing".

3. FDIC protection levels are very low in this context. As I said, SVB had a very poorly-diversified loan book (focusing on a sector that was struggling badly as of late), I think this is what lead directly to the bank run.

I was using FDIC characterization as an example of what a reasonable depositor may view as a legitimate and regulated bank. And exactly which assets should they have held that were liquid, "safe" and had not lost paper value in the last 12 month? Only overnight paper is liquid enough for a bank run, but you can't hold all a banks assets in that form to backstop a run.

The tech scene did indeed get quite high on their own supply in the past several years, watching the sector get brought back to reality in real time is interesting to say the least.

And this is the real point I believe you are making - those damn woke Cali tech guys . . . I cheer their fall . . . Not exactly the basis of sound long-term banking policy.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back