Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Suunto watch??

WyOpitz

Just curious if anyone has one of these for hunting/backpacking? Which model do you have and do you like it? Are there any comparable watches out there that are similar or you like better? Im not lookin for the GPS models, just mainly for altimeter, barometer, watch, alarm functions. TIA

Wyopitz

I've beat the crap out of my Core over the past four years with zero complaints except the original band crapped out too soon, Now that the original band has been replaced I can see this watch lasting for many years.

I still use my Vector (base model) I bought in 2003. On my third band, and it is missing the plastic cap on one of the buttons (cosmetic, zero effect on use), but considering it has seen some pretty serious use (13 years in combat and training), I cannot complain.

Compass: decent for orienting yourself, but not adequate for dead reckoning navigation. Buy a
Lensastic or one of the Suuntu orienteering compasses for serious navigation.
Altimeter: works good enough. It was valuable at time in AFG, but rarely use now.
Barometer: actually quite handy for indicating changes in weather, particularly rain.

I prefer it over the Casio pathfinder, and will buy another one once this one dies.

I've worn the Observer every day for 10 years. Love it. Not sure if it's currently produced anymore but you can still pick it up online. I picked it because it was a bit smaller than their others watches with all the same amenities. I've got dainty wrists.

Every four or five years I send it in for their reconditioning treatment which gives a new battery, wristband, glass, metal casing around the glass and a software update and battery cover all for about $75. You end up with a brand new watch basically.

I bought one for my dad, not sure the model at least 10 years ago. Has all those features you mentioned (no gps) he has worn it all around the world everyday and loves it.

Sweet, thanks guys. I just ordered the Core all-black military version for $202 after shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal. Can't wait to try it out this summer.

Sweet, thanks guys. I just ordered the Core all-black military version for $202 after shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal. Can't wait to try it out this summer.

Hah, I literally just did the same. Ebay? I did quite a bit of research and everything was really good. Only bad thing I could find was that it doesn't take much to scuff them up and they can be hard to see if there is a glare sometimes. Other than that they seem awesome. Excited to get mine!

Last edited:
You guys will be happy with the Core. I have used mine for five years and is a great tool in the field with zero complaints. Best of luck.

I got mine from Dexclusive. Com. There was a $20 coupon online, I did FedEx for $3. My buddy got his from there as well a while ago, and he has been happy.

Back