Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Supplements

HowieNH

Looking to change my supplements thought who better then fellow hunters to ask for input! I take a joint supplement and use a plant based protein supplement mixed with fruit in the am. I'm an old guy trying to keep fit for years of hunting enjoyment!

Save your money and don’t risk your health with placebo effect snake oil.

Any substance that actually is useful as a performance enhancer either gets banned or made prescription only.

You can get all the nutrients you need from eating a good variety of foods.

Exercise is the best medicine.

I have a good friend of mine who had a heart transplant two weeks ago. The issue, per all the doctors, was all the over the counter “supplements “ he took while bodybuilding.

This is one topic that grinds my gears. You've gotten all great advice so far, supplements are trash, period. Plant based protein isn't horrible, but you're better off eating some chicken, beef beans, tofu etc.

Looking to change my supplements thought who better then fellow hunters to ask for input! I take a joint supplement and use a plant based protein supplement mixed with fruit in the am. I'm an old guy trying to keep fit for years of hunting enjoyment!
I like glucosamine, magnesium, and ashweganda. I also throw in omega 3 prefer salmon oil and a good multivitamin. I've tried some of the liquid IV and mtn ops stuff it's ok but I don't feel like it's necessary as long as I stay hydrated.

Eat veggies, salmon and nuts and you won't need any of that minus the ashweganda, which doesn't do much, and glucosamine which doesn't do anything. Placebo effects are powerful things. Mtn ops should be heavily fined for some of their bullshit, test booster and altitude helper are their 2 biggest piles of donkey manure

I suggest read,
Dead Doctors Don't Lie, by Joel D. Wallach
He has studied and published much about supplements. Who has short life spans? Who lives to where "80" is half way.
Another guy, Dr. Schulze, while a vegan dude , has great programs and supplements. I use products from a guy called the "Health Ranger". Health Ranger Store.
Couple years back, took an online course on "Ancient Secrets of a Master Healer" Dr. Naram, a truly gifted doctor. These docs made people well again. All these guys are considered QUACKS in the mainsteam.
Our bodies are engines, that need fluids, minerals, salts, and oils to thrive.

Mainly protein diet, fresh fruit and veggies as it lasts.
Dr told me lots of calcium and D,high doses. I also take B,C and omega 3.
My numbers are good.
I'd be in real trouble if I had taken supplements with testosterone in it.
Prostate cancer on the bone sucks. So far so good.

Supplements can be tricky to navigate because like anything with health care, it’s complicated. It can’t be boiled down to into binary terms like “will cure cancer” or “quackery”.

First, start with your need, do you actually have one? Do you have a deficiency (confirmed via testing) in B vitamins, methylation issues, high oxidative stress or a lack of essential fatty acids to name of few of hundreds. Once a deficiency has been identified you need to figure out how to fix it. Often it can be done with diet, but sometimes a quality supplement can work great. If it's bones, and joints, make sure to pack out bones. I’ll bring everything to the hoof to make bone stock.

Next you need to find a supplement company that has a quality product, this is probably one of the most difficult steps. Since there’s a lack of standardization this is where most supplements are garbage….or back to the original point “it’s complicated”. In short, supplements can have unnecessary fillers, lack of quality testing, and just sub par dosages. There are a few companies out there that pay to have their products tested and certified. Thorne is probably one of the most well known and they are used extensively in professional sports including the US Olympic team. Unfortunatley there’s not much stopping a sub-par company from putting the same named product on the shelf next to Thorne’s without the testing or QC work. Vital Nutrients, Metagenics, and Designs for Health are a few others.

https://www.thorne.com/sports-performance

Finally, your gut. If your gut is off, this could be why you have a deficiency and or why supplements aren’t “working”. A good probiotic is a great start, in our office it is probably the one thing that can almost be universally prescribed.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Supplements can be tricky to navigate because like anything with health care, it’s complicated. It can’t be boiled down to into binary terms like “will cure cancer” or “quackery”.

First, start with your need, do you actually have one? Do you have a deficiency (confirmed via testing) in B vitamins, methylation issues, high oxidative stress or a lack of essential fatty acids to name of few of hundreds. Once a deficiency has been identified you need to figure out how to fix it. Often it can be done with diet, but sometimes a quality supplement can work great. If it's bones, and joints, make sure to pack out bones. I’ll bring everything to the hoof to make bone stock.

Next you need to find a supplement company that has a quality product, this is probably one of the most difficult steps. Since there’s a lack of standardization this is where most supplements are garbage….or back to the original point “it’s complicated”. In short, supplements can have unnecessary fillers, lack of quality testing, and just sub par dosages. There are a few companies out there that pay to have their products tested and certified. Thorne is probably one of the most well known and they are used extensively in professional sports including the US Olympic team. Unfortunatley there’s not much stopping a sub-par company from putting the same named product on the shelf next to Thorne’s without the testing or QC work. Vital Nutrients, Metagenics, and Designs for Health are a few others.

https://www.thorne.com/sports-performance

Finally, your gut. If your gut is off, this could be why you have a deficiency and or why supplements aren’t “working”. A good probiotic is a great start, in our office it is probably the one thing that can almost be universally prescribed.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
...elks is probiotic. LOL

Tips for quality are needed. Most is junk.
It's kept me from trying any CBD's. That and fentynal in everything.
Lucky for me the herb itself is legal to grow...there ,I said it.

Dietary supplements are much like automotive additives in that they are a waste of $$. People use them simply because the believe they work but they do nothing.
While they most likely won't hurt anything to also don't help with anything.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back