Caribou Gear Tarp

Starbucks Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairWeather

The recent thread on homelessness got me thinking about the labor market and today’s push for unionizing in low skill sectors, such as fast food.

The few Starbucks locations that are unionized are on strike today in response to Starbucks’ refusal to bargain with the unions, and retaliatory actions against union organizers.

I’ll start by saying it in no way affects me, so my opinion on the matter is of little concern. I just see both sides of the arguments that I’m seeing unfold.

After I left the army, I went to work at Starbucks while I was going to college. I held that job for 2 years and I will say it SUCKED. Not as much as being an infantryman, but for 25¢ over minimum wage it was a crap job.

If it weren’t for my VA disability and GI Bill payments supplementing my income, there’s no way I could have made ends meet with what they paid. As it was, my wife and I were often needing to use the campus food bank.

That said, the entire time there I was well aware it wasn’t intended to be a career. It’s a crap job you work until you find something better. I now work in a unionized environment and am a union member. I am not anti union by any means.
Being a multi billion dollar corporation, conditions for the workers should be improved, yes. That said, it’s still a very low skill job that is not meant to be a career. Should it provide a “living wage”, yes if you want to keep your employees housed. Should it provide a “family wage”? I’d say not.

It seems to me that where the union is at now, demands wise, is still pretty reasonable. Time off, benefits, wages to keep up w/ inflation. Pretty standard. Though, it sounds like they have much grander ambitions.

So, the way I see it, yes conditions should improve…but not to the point where this is now a potential lifelong career. A good compromise leaves all parties unhappy.

What does bother me is the way this has bled into a discussion around being a consumer.

There was a woman who posted a PSA in a local bulletin FB page about how the few Starbucks in town are closed (they’re among the unionized), and how the ones in the grocery stores are still open. This lady got absolutely dragged in the comments. People hurling all sorts of abuse about how she’s a scab and the scum of the earth, etc. because she “crossed the picket line” to get her coffee. By all means, let the union and the company duke it out, but those of us on the sidelines don’t need to be fighting over this.

I think it’s ultimately just another symptom of the tumultuous times we live in right now.

Alright, I’m done rambling. Discuss if you want.

I'm a union worker, it's not all its cracked up to be. Great money, okay benefits, 4% of my pay goes to Detroit, what they do with it, hell if I know. I would leave the union in a heartbeat if I could stay employed by my current shop, best managers I've ever had. Pretty much the ones who will benefit the most from Starbucks becoming unionized will be the union staff, management, execs and lawyers.

And I won't cross a picket line, but I ain't gonna judge anyone who will, this isn't the coal mines of the 70s for fox sake

I'm a union worker, it's not all its cracked up to be. Great money, okay benefits, 4% of my pay goes to Detroit, what they do with it, hell if I know. I would leave the union in a heartbeat if I could stay employed by my current shop, best managers I've ever had. Pretty much the ones who will benefit the most from Starbucks becoming unionized will be the union staff, management, execs and lawyers.

And I won't cross a picket line, but I ain't gonna judge anyone who will, this isn't the coal mines of the 70s for fox sake
I hear you. I’m fortunate that my union dues are capped at $900/yr, but my union is also pretty toothless. The best thing it does is provide a contract we can point to whenever labor disputes arise.

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson received a significant pay raise from 2020 to 2021, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission financial filing published last week.

The Seattle coffee chain CEO saw his overall compensation grow 39.3% from $14.67 million to $20.43 million last year. However, Johnson’s salary bump was a relatively modest 6.2% pay increase from 2019 to 2021, as overall, foodservice executive salaries wilted during the first year of the pandemic (with one exception being Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol, whose salary grew to $38 million in 2020).

I have been a part of 2 unions and have personally seen them keep people employed who should not have been employed. One of the unions I belonged to was while I was in law enforcement, so I certainly see the need for unions in that field as significantly more crucial than any other field. Unions served a great purpose in our history, but now with the vast amount of labor laws, I feel that they are not nearly as needed as decades past. I realize that I hold an unpopular and minority view on this, but after 2 union memberships in vastly different fields that I where I stand.

As for the wages of fast food and Starbucks employees, if we keep raising their wages to unreasonable amounts for the field/skill, we will continue to see inflation soar and hear more calls for higher wages because people can't afford to live... not that Starbucks or fast food are necessities to life.

As far as the job market is concerned, it will correct here shortly like the housing and car markets.

The days of all these people working from home but not really working, demanding higher salaries for what amounts to part time work, ridiculous perks, constant offers to move for better pay, businesses having to hire unqualified people because they are desperate, etc will come to an end.

I see massive layoffs and hiring freezes coming.

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson received a significant pay raise from 2020 to 2021, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission financial filing published last week.

The Seattle coffee chain CEO saw his overall compensation grow 39.3% from $14.67 million to $20.43 million last year. However, Johnson’s salary bump was a relatively modest 6.2% pay increase from 2019 to 2021, as overall, foodservice executive salaries wilted during the first year of the pandemic (with one exception being Chipotle CEO Brian Niccol, whose salary grew to $38 million in 2020).
Yet there’s working class folks who still oppose tax increases for the wealthy.
As true as it ever was.

I have been a part of 2 unions and have personally seen them keep people employed who should not have been employed. One of the unions I belonged to was while I was in law enforcement, so I certainly see the need for unions in that field as significantly more crucial than any other field. Unions served a great purpose in our history, but now with the vast amount of labor laws, I feel that they are not nearly as needed as decades past. I realize that I hold an unpopular and minority view on this, but after 2 union memberships in vastly different fields that I where I stand.

As for the wages of fast food and Starbucks employees, if we keep raising their wages to unreasonable amounts for the field/skill, we will continue to see inflation soar and hear more calls for higher wages because people can't afford to live... not that Starbucks or fast food are necessities to life.
I have heard a lot of union railroaders say the same, some of the laziest people end up getting promoted simply because they have been there longer. When in reality they should be fired.

I think the same thing happens for government jobs.

Some places once you get in it's really hard to get fired.

Why people would be against the working stiff having a seat at the table is beyond me. Corporate greed is off the charts and very few people are willing to fight against it...
How tf am I out here struggling to make the payments on 1 jeep and a 900sqft house and multiple mf’s in Florida got 4 v12 verados strapped to one boat?

Member of 2 unions and a association in my life. Carpenters, Ironworkers and county employee ass.
All benefited me and all had slackers, like life.

Folks need to get paid a living wage, when they earn it. They need to move on when they don't.
Companies need to learn to share when they win, with employees, again. Until then payfull pop on taxes.
Buckbucks will still have burnt joe that they are waiting to brew...when you just want a quick cuppa.

Union greed isn't that far behind.

I agree they’re not perfect and could use some reform. I can definitely see how they get a black eye but I have seen the good they can do. In my professional career I’ve worked two non union jobs, and one union job. I personally enjoyed having someone else to help me fight. I was not at the mercy of the company when it came to raises, equal wages, or my retirement. I wasn’t fearful of retaliation if I spoke my mind about something. I wasn’t fearful of my retirement going away if the company had a bad year. Without backing, a company can and will make examples of people that go against the grain. Everyone thinks non union people are protected by ‘labor laws’ too. What do you do when you don’t get promoted when you should because you bring legitimate issues? What happens when you don’t get promoted because you talk about organizing? Good luck proving that stuff to the department of labor. A company can spin it however they want and justify not paying you a fair wage. Yes a person can always change jobs but the point is, the working guy is not getting ahead in todays world and is at the mercy of corporate America.

I'm retired from a union job at an oil refinery. I guess you could say that I was active in the Union. I was the chairman of our group for a good number of years.

Are Unions perfect, far from it. Name anything that is. Do they give wage employees some voice and power concerning their livelihood, absolutely.

It is true that Unions at times protect less than ideal employees. I looked at it as protecting the Collective Bargaining Agreement. A company can successfully fire an employee if they have a legitimate just cause. Too often, companies do not make their punishment commensurate with the situation of the employee's work shortcoming.

Frankly, it made it easy for us to get employees their jobs back. It was not difficult to prove to an arbitrator that they had acted in an unfair harsh manner.

Every Union contract I am aware of provides for a probationary period of time where a company can terminate an employee where, the Union can't contest the termination. Most poor employees throw out red flags, right from the get go, in my experience. I encouraged management to make use of that management right. The one time they tried that during my time, they waited too long. The employee was past his probationary time and we proved that at arbitration and got him his job back. I heard recently that that man retired this year.

Been a Steward for several years with one of the largest federal unions.
It's helped keep crap peeps in their job, at the same time helped many more good peeps keep the same.

It's not the crap v good portion of a union, it's the measure of mutual compliance to abide by mutually negotiated agreement, aka Collective Bargaining Agreement.

When management and employee both abide by the agreement, life is pretty darn good.

Problems exist involve management's failure to comply with agreed processes. Typically this occurs when dealing with a piss poor, retired on duty, employee. When management follows the mutually agreed steps, the union has no leg to stand on to uphold the CBA! Not uphold the piss poor employee.

Management w/o unions is not good, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back