Caribou Gear Tarp

Starbucks Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does someone filling a cup with coffee or putting frozen patties on a grill think they are owed "a living wage"? Those jobs aren't meant to be permanent careers. Unionization is fine, but stfu about how underpaid you are, nobody cares, you fill coffee cups and serve cookies. Do you think the Unions are pressing these issues because they wont benefit from it?????I can't wait for these businesses to automate, relocate, or simply close the doors. Reality check.

Starbucks isn't on my list of places to stop and poo when on the road. It IS high on my list of places to go if I were wanting to jack some smack into my arm or if I decide to identify as a feline I'll have a litter box at Starbucks.

Black Rifle coffee shops are 10x better if you can find one.

someone who has millions in the bank but hunts with a bow, is he wealthy? He can’t look himself in the mirror. I’d rather drink folgers and be able to look in the mirror knowing there isn’t wounded/lost animals out there because of me!

Why does someone filling a cup with coffee or putting frozen patties on a grill think they are owed "a living wage"? Those jobs aren't meant to be permanent careers. Unionization is fine, but stfu about how underpaid you are, nobody cares, you fill coffee cups and serve cookies. Do you think the Unions are pressing these issues because they wont benefit from it?????I can't wait for these businesses to automate, relocate, or simply close the doors. Reality check.
Cook your own frozen burgers and brew your own coffee then.

Why does someone bolting hoods on a ford truck think they're owed a living wage? Or someone else putting out a house fire? Or someone else programming a computer? Or someone else managing wildlife? Or _________fill in the blank.

What's the difference?

That attitude is why wages haven't kept up with inflation, just stfu and be happy you're allowed to grind it out for whatever wages someone else decides your time is worth.

Member of 2 unions and a association in my life. Carpenters, Ironworkers and county employee ass.
All benefited me and all had slackers, like life.

Folks need to get paid a living wage, when they earn it. They need to move on when they don't.
Companies need to learn to share when they win, with employees, again. Until then payfull pop on taxes.
Buckbucks will still have burnt joe that they are waiting to brew...when you just want a quick cuppa.

Agree with your observations. Workers which are not only bad for the company but for society can be protected by strong unions. The strongest unions in America today seem to the government-affiliated. I get it, the city manager has zero financial skin in the game when approves a union contract with the police or fire or custodians. That is why pensions remain in place and can have the "cramming" loophole where if I have a much higher "last year" salary then can retire at above 100% salary in my pension. Cramming is where my buddies give me lots and lots of overtime and I cash out 100s of hours of deferred vacation to bulk up my final 12 months. The pension calculation will look at that number rather than my earnings over the decades I worked. Sweet.

Now, companies deserve every union I have seen get certified. Amazon will get unions soon. They can bring on the robots but will not be fast enough. A local hospital got a union a couple of years ago. Lots of promises to the workers but no real change other than the dues taken out of gross pay. Likely will not get worse for the workers that were "heroes" but wages were locked down during the pandemic.

Union-dominated industries do not seem innovative in America and the success of overseas automobile, steel and textiles industries was kick-started by how big the delta was between union wages and overseas wages. After that foothold was established and reached modernization of the overseas factories, overseas beat up our non-union industries.

I don't begrudge a lottery winner, the government union worker that crammed their last year before pension or the CEO that makes 1000x what his assistant earns. I can dislike them, though, for the selfishness that creates anger in the voting populace that leads to well-intentioned but often very flawed voting trends and new laws and regulations.

We deserve to reap exactly what we sow. And, Starbucks is the current recipient of a harvest of treating employees like nuisances when the workers complain the local store manager is an a-hole which seems to be a key issue along with scheduling the pets for favorable shifts and more shifts. Petty people given manager stripes with a bit of discretionary power can turn 30 people against your company is about 30 days. I have worked for a few companies yet a couple of times after some time on the job I would get a new manager and I watched as teammates began freshening up their resumes. The first to leave were usually the last few I would want to lose off the team. The manager stinks, the team is imploding and I was not the first out the door but sure as heck was not going to be the last.

someone who has millions in the bank but hunts with a bow, is he wealthy? He can’t look himself in the mirror. I’d rather drink folgers and be able to look in the mirror knowing there isn’t wounded/lost animals out there because of me!
You need to read the current Hot Topics in the Elk forum.

I have heard a lot of union railroaders say the same, some of the laziest people end up getting promoted simply because they have been there longer. When in reality they should be fired.

I think the same thing happens for government jobs.

Some places once you get in it's really hard to get fired.
Agreed, but it also goes deeper than that. I witnessed 2 employees take a credit card that an elderly customer forgot and use it to but snacks on their brake. Store manager fired them. Two days later, they were back.

Good God, man. Give it a rest! We got it. You don't like bowhunting. Enough already! :rolleyes:

Cook your own frozen burgers and brew your own coffee then.

Why does someone bolting hoods on a ford truck think they're owed a living wage? Or someone else putting out a house fire? Or someone else programming a computer? Or someone else managing wildlife? Or _________fill in the blank.

What's the difference?

That attitude is why wages haven't kept up with inflation, just stfu and be happy you're allowed to grind it out for whatever wages someone else decides your time is worth.
Com on man, Really!? Where I’m from you started working on farms for $6-$7/hr when you were 15 years old working 5x as hard as these Starbucks barestas bucking bails of hay all day. We worked these jobs and didn’t expect to earn a livable wage. It covered gas and gave us some money to start saving for college, car payments, etc. the problem that we’re living through is parents don’t raise their kids to have a work ethic and everyone thinks they’re entitled to more and they’re above these jobs. Look at the student debt crisis. Now people think the government needs to bail kids out for their poor decisions. It’s poor work ethic, poor parenting and an entitled society. That’s why these places can’t stay running. If you have to pay a highscooler 20$/ hr to pour a coffee then everything else need to go up. It’s a capatialistic society driven by supply and demand. I’ll gladly make my own coffee and flip my own damn burger.

Last edited:
This is the right answer.

In my experience, it's not the union that saves the turd employees, but rather management not following the CBA. Management absolutely can fire bad employees, and if done by the CBA, there's nothing the union can do to stop it.

Fair to note too that the collective bargaining agreement is negotiated with management. In other words it's as much managements CBA as the unions.

I think a key to success for everyone is to put a lot of thought into the negotiations for the collective bargaining agreement/ contract from the start. I don't negotiate anything that's in the CBA, that's already been decided. Anything else I'll negotiate with management on anything else at the local level.

I believe both unions and management have a responsibility to act professionally and respectfully on any issue that's arise. They should also strive to solve issues at the lowest level first, that simply means having open and honest discussions right away.

There is no doubt that a solid CBA, good communication between the union and management, can make things safer, more productive, and fair for everyone.

In my time as a Union President of my local, I've developed a very good working relationship with management. That relationship solves a lot of issues before a problem develops and formal steps to correct them are very rare.
Pretty much nailed it from my experience, been in a labor union for since I was 18 years old and at times the shop steward (17 years) seems to run smoothly when you've got both a good business agent and good management. The whole can't flush a turd thing is bs. If a manager has half a brain cell wants rid of you and your not up to snuff, your days are numbered. It's when you have the punk kid fresh out of school as a manager who's gonna come in and reinvent the how things work with no respect for there guys or contract or a shitty business agent who isn't all that bright or has a shitty attitude. That's when things get ugly or worse yet if you have both those things. Communication is 100% key.

Fair to note too that the collective bargaining agreement is negotiated with management. In other words it's as much managements CBA
When I worked for a larger corporate company I always loved hearing "your guys contract" it's as much there's as it is mine. Work for a much smaller company now and we are pretty well taken care of so I don't have to deal with much of that as of lately.

be happy you're allowed to grind it out for whatever wages someone else decides your time is worth
It’s not what “someone else decides” it’s the fair market value for the service you provide to society. And it is constantly changing based on market needs.

Last edited:
If Starbucks could afford to pay 20$/hr while keeping the price of a cup of coffee reasonable they would of already done that. They’re not a charity, they’re a business. I’m not paying more than 2-3$ for a cup of black coffee, period. IF COGS go up, then the price of a cup goes up. No way around it. That means whatever they’re paying you at the union needs to go up next because they’re tired of everyone b1tching about how they can’t afford a cup of coffee anymore….

If Starbucks could afford to pay 20$/hr while keeping the price of a cup of coffee reasonable they would of already done that. They’re not a charity, they’re a business. I’m not paying more than 2-3$ for a cup of black coffee, period. IF COGS go up, then the price of a cup goes up. No way around it. That means whatever they’re paying you at the union needs to go up next because they’re tired of everyone b1tching about how they can’t afford a cup of coffee anymore….
No they wouldn't...not how business works. If they can get away with paying 50 cents an hour, they will do it in a heartbeat. Employees are viewed as a liability not an asset by employers in many cases. That's why unions still need to exist.

Being a successful business owner, working hard, and profiting from your time & investments seems to be frowned upon these days. Gimme Gimme Gimme is the new trend and unfortunately it will backfire drastically for the employees who have been suckered into the movement. This thread is going nowhere because too many lazy people want everything without putting in the effort or knowing what its like to sacrifice,,
Move to Canada, it's all peaches and cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back