PEAX Equipment

Starbucks Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point does the risk become stupidity?
I've been watching the program "The men who made America" on the history channel.

Every person on that show took huge risks. I have yet to see them discuss any people who just did easy govt jobs avoiding risk their whole lives and never accomplished much.

So yes there is a line, but most who take no risk never really know what it is to live life to the fullest. Always taking the safe way, doing what they are told, being afraid of risk, etc is not for everyone. Much like owning a business is not for everyone but it can also be really rewarding compared to "doing time" at work like many people who take no risk do. You see this in govt jobs where people do not want to advance their career, they just want to sit and do the same thing every year for the rest of their working life so they don't have to take on responsibility, learn new things, try, etc..

I've been watching the program "The men who made America" on the history channel.

Every person on that show took huge risks. I have yet to see them discuss any people who just did easy govt jobs avoiding risk their whole lives and never accomplished much.

So yes there is a line, but most who take no risk never really know what it is to live life to the fullest. Always taking the safe way, doing what they are told, being afraid of risk, etc is not for everyone. Much like owning a business is not for everyone but it can also be really rewarding compared to "doing time" at work like many people who take no risk do. You see this in govt jobs where people do not want to advance their career, they just want to sit and do the same thing every year for the rest of their working life so they don't have to take on responsibility, learn new things, try, etc..
I get it you despise government employees, and that’s fine.

I have a friend who works for an oil and gas company. He tells me stories that are as bad, if not worse than any government horror story I could tell.

I’ve had hopeless runarounds with retail businesses, both large and small.

But, do carry on.

I think unions have there place and can be good in order to secure bids for large jobs etc. and to negotiate fair pay among the industry. But when did $15+ an hour not be fair wage? As a single person and you only worked 200 hours per month.... that is $3,000 gross and roughly $2,400 take home pay per month. You may not be in the best housing of town and you may not drive a new car every five years but damn, I don't think a barista should get a starting salary higher than a teacher... who is represented by teachers unions. If you choose a barista as your career, then choose your lifestyle to fit your career.

What a joke, sorry bud, but work and business doesn't define who I am or what I value in life.

You can take all the risk you want, I don't begrudge you a bit for doing so. Neither should you concern yourself about what others prefer in a profession.

For me, I have ZERO interest in owning a business that I'm married to 365-24-7...none.

I don't want to worry about smoozing clients, I don't want to mess with hiring/firing employees, and all the other problems businesses encounter.

Plus that I don't view my job as "doing time"...its meaningful work to me, that provides raw and finished data about many aspects of forest health, forest management, forest planning, fuels, air quality, water quality, etc. etc. etc. Important enough work that Congress has mandated what I do by law and also provided funding for it for the past 70+ years. The American Public and many industries, NGO's, State, Private, Federal users are asking for more and more of our data all the time.

I also like being in the woods and getting paid to be there. I've seen vast amounts of our public, private, tribal, corporate, etc. lands and most everything that lives in those places. Pretty rare year when I don't encounter some real neat wildlife, just this I've seen 3 pine martens, otters, grizzly bears, black bears, elk, deer, moose, pronghorn, all kinds of cool birds, etc. etc. Met a ton of great folks and like being around and working with people that are science/resource management minded.

I really like what I do and I really like the people I work with and the last 35 years have not felt anything like "doing time" to me.

Finding value in your work is a lot more than just taking risk, its what you make it of it that counts.

If I want to take risk in making money, I can take as much as I want investing in the market, buying real-estate, rental properties, etc. Which is exactly where I take risk.

Its also a comforting feeling knowing I have a pension, medical insurance for my wife and I for the rest of our lives at an affordable price, a good 401 plan, etc.

I think you'll find yourself more happy if you quit worrying about what others choose to do for a job. Frankly, its none of your business.

I think unions have there place and can be good in order to secure bids for large jobs etc. and to negotiate fair pay among the industry. But when did $15+ an hour not be fair wage? As a single person and you only worked 200 hours per month.... that is $3,000 gross and roughly $2,400 take home pay per month. You may not be in the best housing of town and you may not drive a new car every five years but damn, I don't think a barista should get a starting salary higher than a teacher... who is represented by teachers unions. If you choose a barista as your career, then choose your lifestyle to fit your career.
I don't feel like the Barista is over-paid, more that perhaps teachers are severely underpaid...

I mean their job really isn't THAT important, they're only educating your kids...

Oh, and if you believe living on $2400 a month is easy...try it sometime. Get back to me, and I don't care what part of town you live in.

I think you'll find yourself more happy if you quit worrying about what others choose to do for a job. Frankly, its none of your business
Meanwhile Starbucks CEO is living rent free in your head for the last 2 days. Carry on.

I get it you despise government employees, and that’s fine.

I have a friend who works for an oil and gas company. He tells me stories that are as bad, if not worse than any government horror story I could tell.

I’ve had hopeless runarounds with retail businesses, both large and small.

But, do carry on.
Nope. I feel sorry for them.

They never really get to find out what they are capable of because they are afraid to take risks. That's' wasting a life IMO as all they do is count the days until they get out, like a prisoner. Only 2 groups of people in this country can tell you when they get out, prisoners and government employees. Both are just doing time, not living life.

I am not really clear what point you are trying to make here other than acknowledging what I said is true. I assume it's some sort of "Well yea, private businesses have bad employees as well" justification.

If a person is happy and feels like they are living life to the fullest with what they do then so be it. But if what I said bothers someone then it's likely true. Which means there are regrets.

Spending a life doing the same easy low level government job year after year is no way to live IMO.

What a joke, sorry bud, but work and business doesn't define who I am or what I value in life.

You can take all the risk you want, I don't begrudge you a bit for doing so. Neither should you concern yourself about what others prefer in a profession.

For me, I have ZERO interest in owning a business that I'm married to 365-24-7...none.

I don't want to worry about smoozing clients, I don't want to mess with hiring/firing employees, and all the other problems businesses encounter.

Plus that I don't view my job as "doing time"...its meaningful work to me, that provides raw and finished data about many aspects of forest health, forest management, forest planning, fuels, air quality, water quality, etc. etc. etc. Important enough work that Congress has mandated what I do by law and also provided funding for it for the past 70+ years. The American Public and many industries, NGO's, State, Private, Federal users are asking for more and more of our data all the time.

I also like being in the woods and getting paid to be there. I've seen vast amounts of our public, private, tribal, corporate, etc. lands and most everything that lives in those places. Pretty rare year when I don't encounter some real neat wildlife, just this I've seen 3 pine martens, otters, grizzly bears, black bears, elk, deer, moose, pronghorn, all kinds of cool birds, etc. etc. Met a ton of great folks and like being around and working with people that are science/resource management minded.

I really like what I do and I really like the people I work with and the last 35 years have not felt anything like "doing time" to me.

Finding value in your work is a lot more than just taking risk, its what you make it of it that counts.

If I want to take risk in making money, I can take as much as I want investing in the market, buying real-estate, rental properties, etc. Which is exactly where I take risk.

Its also a comforting feeling knowing I have a pension, medical insurance for my wife and I for the rest of our lives at an affordable price, a good 401 plan, etc.

I think you'll find yourself more happy if you quit worrying about what others choose to do for a job. Frankly, its none of your business.
Although I disagree with most of what you said on this thread, I do agree with that last paragraph. And sounds like a cool job. Good for you, count your blessings. I left a corporate job a couple years ago and couldn’t be happier.

You are trying hard to justify your life Buzz.

That means you have regrets over your choices. You are one of those people who have lived off taxpayers your whole life, never advancing your career, yet you think you know everything as part of your social media tough guy act you do so often because you have nothing going on during the day and no real responsibility at work. Funny stuff.

I think it's obvious which of us is worried about what the other thinks.

The reason it bothers you is because it's true. Funny how that works.

Even you have said the government employees need to be kicked out after a period of time, so deep down you know there is a problem.

Nope. I feel sorry for them.

They never really get to find out what they are capable of because they are afraid to take risks. That's' wasting a life IMO as all they do is count the days until they get out, like a prisoner. Only 2 groups of people in this country can tell you when they get out, prisoners and government employees. Both are just doing time, not living life.

I am not really clear what point you are trying to make here other than acknowledging what I said is true. I assume it's some sort of "Well yea, private businesses have bad employees as well" justification.

If a person is happy and feels like they are living life to the fullest with what they do then so be it. But if what I said bothers someone then it's likely true. Which means there are regrets.

Spending a life doing the same easy low level government job year after year is no way to live IMO.
I need to find a job where I can enjoy to live life...

09E39356-4FFF-4DC8-8442-A67AF1483A6B2.jpeg

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_20221020_091634017.jpg

4D4BABC6-0351-4AC8-A07C-4EE2B76E3C51221.jpeg

IMG_20221010_173905562_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20221108_170215835.jpg

39542.jpeg

Not true...but it seems you can't not comment on my posts.

You aren't getting any rent from me. Carry on.
I'm getting an oil change and tire rotation that's taking forever. I have nothing better to do, but annoy you and your utopian world. 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back