Super zoom Cam or New lense.

ZMT588

I'm looking at getting a new super zoom cam IE Canon SX70 or the Panasonic FZ80 or Nikon Coolpix P900. I'm partial to Canon as I already have a Canon Camera and like the user interface (thought I'm sure I can easily learn a new camera system). I'm not entirely set on a new cam or if I should Just get a new lens for my current Canon. My only gripe about a new lens is size and weight. Would like a more compact singular device that can do it all.

Is this a camera to carry hunting? I'd get a point and shoot with lot of zoom to it. I tried a number of different brands and all took pretty good photo's but either to fragile, to bulky or just not that good of photo's. I'm a Nikon user but my point and shoot is a Canon SX 730 HS. Haven't a clue how to operate all the stuff on it so always shoot on auto. Came with a junky little pouch that has a belt loop on it and it does stay out of the way well. 40X optical zoom.Have it with me ll the time!

This is a cow moose over 500 yards with the Coolpix900

DSCN2648_Compressor.jpg
These guys are 300+ yards
DSCN2063_Compressor.jpg

I'm a fan of the Nikon, its a little big but its all good. It takes very nice HDR images also

I'm looking at getting a new super zoom cam IE Canon SX70 or the Panasonic FZ80 or Nikon Coolpix P900. I'm partial to Canon as I already have a Canon Camera and like the user interface (thought I'm sure I can easily learn a new camera system). I'm not entirely set on a new cam or if I should Just get a new lens for my current Canon. My only gripe about a new lens is size and weight. Would like a more compact singular device that can do it all.
I’ve heard great things about the Nikon Coolpix P1000, mindblowing zoom, and around $700. Lots of additional accessories to put on it if you wish. Bulkier and pricier than that Canon mentioned above, but depends what you’re looking for.

Last edited:
Awesome Pictures at great yardages. I only have a 75-200mm lens for my camera and it kind of maxes out at around 200 yards. Would like to get something that can zoom more. The p1000 is a little out of my range. I was hoping to sell my Canon sadly too buy a p900 after doing some research on it.

Long term investment with consistent use, lens.
Occassional use, small zoom. Keep in mind that the super zooms need good light for action or distant shots.

I love my Nikon Coolpix right up to the point when I'm ninja'd into my hideyhole and want to shoot a strutting tom at 100 yards, and autofocus wants to focus on the grass/twigs/branches in the foreground and I have no way to manually focus. So frustrating!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back