New Superzoom Point and Shoot results

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
In a previous thread about superzoom cameras, I told you I had bought the new Nikon P510. I have tried it out some, but not much. Tonight, I saw a buck out in a wheat field. Through the binos I could see some strange details of the rack, so I figured it would be a chance to test out the long-range values of this set up, even if I did not have my tripod and had to go handheld.

This camera has a 42X optical zoom, top in its class. It is a point and shoot, with my presets, allowing even a novice to get some default settings for certain conditions.

I could not get a good reading of the range on the long flat area these pics were taken. It was bouncing too much when I would try to hold on his antlers, pretty much the only thing I could see. I did range a fence gate he walked by just before these shots and it came to 280 yards.

So, here are images at that distance, handheld.

You will see the detail it provided, even when I crop and magnified the pic. I am very, very impressed. This is exactly what I bought the camera for. To get this detail, at that range, with no tripod, will give this camera a permanent place in my pack this year.

Just a very nice tall 4X5, right?
DSCN0013.JPG

Cool, even a cheater coming out of his base.
DSCN0024.JPG

Hum, looks like a cool piece of junk on his driver's side to go with some very good tine length.
DSCN0017.JPG

Hitting the car horn got his attention.
DSCN0020.JPG

Even some character stickers on the passenger's side.
DSCN0029.JPG

I suspect this buck is close to done growing. Whiteys in Montana usually rub their velvet around the 5th of September +/- a week.

If any of you are interested in looking at the camera, click the link below. It will take you to the Amazon.com page where the camera is sold.

Nikon Coolpix P510 Superzoom

If by chance you end up buying this camera from Amazon, I hope you will click on the link above when you make the purchase. If not buying it from them, please disregard. We are doing some experimenting with our affiliate account at Amazon and using these links helps us accumulate data we are trying to establish before we try other ideas with Amazon and a few other large retailers with whom we have started affiliate relationships.

ir

Randy, what's your opinion of the video quality. I'm looking seriously at the Canon T2i and T3i as a replacement for my point and shoot, but those pictures and the reviews on Amazon are making me reconsider.
I'd like to have an option of videoing when I'm carrying a gun without having to lug my Xha1 everywhere.

Randy, what's your opinion of the video quality. I'm looking seriously at the Canon T2i and T3i as a replacement for my point and shoot, but those pictures and the reviews on Amazon are making me reconsider.
I'd like to have an option of videoing when I'm carrying a gun without having to lug my Xha1 everywhere.

Gerald - I have this and Canon's top of the line Point and Shoot, the G12. Both take good video, but the best video on a point and shoot is only good out to about ten yards.

All the point and shoot cameras lock the focus once you start to record in video mode. So, if you move at all, or your subject moves at all, your focus is messed up.

The close up video is pretty darn good on these two cameras, though both are towards the top end of the point and shoot scale.

I would not rely on those for the type of video you are trying to get with an XHa1. You would be disappointed.

Now, some of the other stuff we have experimented with, if you can get it on a tripod, is pretty darn good. You will see a self-filmed a kill shot from 275 yards that was shot with the Canon Vixia HF G10. Very impressive for its size and 10X zoom.

Amazon link to the Canon Vixia HF G10.

Very good chance this will be Randy's POV camera for the foreseeable future. A lot lighter than the XHa1. Yeah, missing a few features, but very packable and convenient.

ir

Thanks Randy,
My main focus on a new camera is having high quality stills, my point and shoot Canon G9 has a scratched lens. I would also like to have good close up video quality, especially for scenery, closeups and such like.

I'm not really trying to replace my Xha1 for dedicated filming trips, it would just be nice to get passable video when I'm hunting on my own.

In all reality, even though I'm shooting in 1080HD, most of my edited material ends up 720 or less due to my editing software limitations. It may be that the P510 video would not affect the finished product as much as I think it would.
Thanks for your input, I'm still going to give this camera a hard look. My videography and editing style has evolved to where I rarely try to get pan or zoom shots anyway. I prefer to shoot only off a tripod and cut out any video that is shaky or out of focus, so I may be able to get around that focus lock feature by stopping recording, then zoom, refocus and press record again.

I really like the 42x zoom. Even if it is only high quality to half that distance, it would still be great.

Cool possibilities for a point and shoot camera. Nice buck too!

Given that explanation, Gerald, this might be a fit for your solution. I might take some long distance video and post it up, merely for purposes of you being able to see the quality. Probably when I return from NV.

If you are not needing full 1080, then you have a full range of P&S cameras. I suspect it is the zoom you are wanting. And, if you are always on a tripod, you will get decent footage.

My Canon G12 has the best sensor and greatest picture quality of any P&S I have ever seen. Just not much zoom.

It would be great if they would make a super sensor of the G12 in a superzoom of the P150. That would cover every base the active outdoor photographer could ask for. I looked long and hard and found nothing of the sort.

Randy, what's your opinion of the video quality. I'm looking seriously at the Canon T2i and T3i as a replacement for my point and shoot.

Gerald,

Check out www.philipbloom.net and his vimeo channel at www.vimeo.com/philipbloom . Tons of info on shooting video with still cameras.

I recently bought a Canon 5d Mark3, to film with.

I have to admit I love the look it produces, but shooting video with manual focus is still a bit overwhelming. Another issue is sound, the still cameras just aren't that good at it off the shelf.

For handheld that is very impressive. I have the Canon SX30IS at work. Its a 35X zoom and has 720 HD vid. This camera allows you to zoom and it continually focuses during filming. I am really impressed with its video capability, but I am not a "film maker" like you guys.

I think the new version, SX40 IS has 1080 HD.

On another note, I've used the S5IS Canon for about 5 years now and have ABUSED the hell out of this camera and it is still doing great. It only has the 12X zoom, which was tops when I bought it.

After chewing on this for a while I just pulled the trigger and bought the camera. I'll let you know what I think of it after a while.
I found it for $364 from the link to Amazon. Hope it turns out to be what I want and that it gets here before next Sat.

I'm in the market for a new camera, this is what I'm looking for! Thanks for the review.

My old lumix has taken too much abuse, the picture quality has gone down hill for some reason. I'm really sad about the quality of the sheep pictures from this year. I think the processor or something is messed up.

I've been using this camera since September and found it to be very satisfactory. Here's a mountain goat @ 800 yards.

Attachments

• DSCN1355.jpg
    DSCN1355.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN1354.jpg
    DSCN1354.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 340
Owl is @ 40 yards, woodpecker @ 10 yards, chili @ 5 ft.

I just videoed a goat hunt yesterday where I used the 510 exlusively . I'll try to post a link when I get that video edited to let you see the quality.

Attachments

• DSCN0087.jpg
    DSCN0087.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN0122.jpg
    DSCN0122.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN0358.JPG
    DSCN0358.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN0228.jpg
    DSCN0228.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 333
I'm always curious about cameras for point and shoot purposes. I haven't had much luck either and there are a million options out there for someone looking for this type of camera. A quick search on CNET.com shows this camera, Nikon P510, doesn't rate as well as others, but that's not always the best way to measure these making it even more difficult to find one that fits your purposes. All in all good to see some real feedback on this camera and positive feedback to boot.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back