Sunrise and sunset direction and timing calculator

Paul in Idaho

In planning my archery antelope hunt, I wanted to know as close as possible to the exact direction of sunrise. This would help me decide which direction to stalk from, and where the deepest shadows would be.

I found this site, SunCalc.net. The linked address will show you the directions and times for Boise on Sept 1. Just put your own location and date into the fields at the top. You can overlay it on a satellite image too. You can drag the map pin to a landmark in your hunt area so you can see the angle across the terrain. The timeline across the top allows you to see the sun angle at any time during the day. Just drag the orange dot to the time you want to see.

http://suncalc.net/#/43.6187,-116.2146,12/2017.09.01/20:21

I hope this helps someone.

Paul

Last edited:
I'm sorry but when I need a computer program to tell me where the sun is rising and setting just shoot me.

That's getting just a little too complicated for me too, as hunting is supposed to be fun, not learning math, LOL!

Seems to me after the first morning you will know all on your own.
That being said nothing like making a stalk on an antelope with the low sun angle. It is an amazing experience to walk right up on one with the sun directly behind you, sunrise or sunset.

Yeah, I figured most wouldn't see it the way I do. I like math and planning little details in advance. In this case the angle helped me locate a specific curve in the creek where the higher bank will create shade with the sunrise directly at my back. It's very close to where I watched a nice buck come to water last season.

To each his own.

I'm with you Paul. A little more understanding of the wonders of science is good in my book, and it's also a great learning tool for explaining the earth and sun's relationships to kids and those of us who act like kids (the latter is a basket I often find myself in).

Try using the Google Earth Sunlight button. When you turn on terrain, you can see the entire sun shadow effect through the entire day, second by second. When you open it, click the wrench and you can set the date you are looking for. I've never used it for hunting but I could see how it might be beneficial.

Yeah, I figured most wouldn't see it the way I do. I like math and planning little details in advance. In this case the angle helped me locate a specific curve in the creek where the higher bank will create shade with the sunrise directly at my back. It's very close to where I watched a nice buck come to water last season.

To each his own.

Animals don't know or care about our math or computer programs. They can not be programmed to be where they are supposed to be.

You are right, "to each his own". I like my hunting to be as fun and uncomplicated as possible.

I have no issues with what you shared....thanks. I have been known to use "ok Google, what time does the sun rise tomorrow". I don't see much difference. thanks for sharing....I am sure there will be some that will be interested.

This is a cool app, Paul. I had a professor in college (Geography) who was a walking sun calculator. We could give him a time of year and a place in the world and he could tell you where the sun would rise and set. Thanks for this...
Scott Gill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back