Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sunday Pic of the Day

My dad hasn’t pulled a calf since he started using a Hereford bull to cross breed. That smaller head makes the difference.
I'm the opposite, in my experience herefords have the biggest block headed calves I've ever seen, but we run some pretty big framed cows, and brangus have pretty long slender heads so it helps

My dad hasn’t pulled a calf since he started using a Hereford bull to cross breed. That smaller head makes the difference.
Among my youthful chore list was helping my father raise some beef cattle for family consumption. The day-old calves were all acquired at nominal costs ranging from, if I recall correctly, $2 to $6 each. The reason they were so cheap: they were all male first offspring from dairy cattle, primarily Holsteins, that had been bred as heifers to smaller breed bulls to get milk production started with easier births and fewer losses of the young mothers. Three of the five we raised were half Hereford, one was an Angus cross and one was even part Brahma.

I had heard that some dairy operators would simply kill those first calves--this was in the late 1950's--rather than bother with them; and some would give them away free. I never ask Dad why he paid if free calves were available; but I suspect it had to do with availability at the time that he had the property ready with fencing and calf shed. Somewhere online, I encountered comment that dairymen will give calves away or kill them even today. Do you know if that is a fact?

Shines, I worked at one of the biggest dairies in my part of Montana in my youth. In 1981 when I started there we sold bull calf Holsteins for about 30 bucks. mtmuley

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back