Suggestion for future episodes....

How about a California Colombian Blacktail hunt. Which I believe is open now

I think you should have an episode of hunting with your wife. Also was wondering how you get to hunt so much throughout the year, away from the family. Maybe a family hunting trip would be a good episode, or couple of episodes.

I have young children and try to get them watching hunting shows, take them on quad rides, etc. Tough to get a trip away 7hr drive, small kids out in the woods to hunt. Wife is not into the hunting thing, but never complains about eating bacon wrapped elk tenderloins.

Perhaps another idea for a show is showing people how to butcher their own meat once it's home and has been hanging a couple of days. To me, butchering/wrapping your own is where the true meaning of hunting really is. All that work to get an animal, and then process it into roasts/steaks/sausage is where the time in the hunt truly pays off.

And while your at it, maybe some wild game recipes / cooking.

Anyhow keep up the good work. Really appreciate your enthusiasm.

Bored enough I clicked on this to see what it is all about. I've never seen this show (or any hunting tv that would amount to more than channel surfing) so take it for what that makes it worth... but I can tell you that for DIY people just adding a new twist to an existing hunt/species would add a lot of viewer interest. Alternative pack stock might be something you should look at. Most DIY people are scared/intimidated by traditional pack stock of horses/mules, whether this is warranted is another subject.

But goats, dogs, donkeys/burros, llamas can all add tremendously to a hunters range and success, specifically after a kill is made. None of these seem to intimidate most people either in the logistics of acquiring or transporting, nor their use/care in the back country. They specifically appeal to kids, women, and guys over fifty if these are demos you wish to target.

As far as species/hunts, all you have to do is watch the trailers for the other shows before they take you to XYZ county for a thrilling turkey hunt! Those shots of sheep elk etc are what baits 'em in for the switch...

far more to it than being intimidated by stock. Lotta money involved to get set up to use stock! from possibly buying a different truck to be able to haul them, a trailer, biggest one property to own horses, saddles,pads,boxes reins etc its endless. oh and take care of them year round! feed bill vet bills all for the avg hunter to use them on 1 trip a year.

Is the Nevada hunt with Randy and his son posted someplace? I did a quick YouTube search this a.m and didn't come across it.

far more to it than being intimidated by stock. Lotta money involved to get set up to use stock! from possibly buying a different truck to be able to haul them, a trailer, biggest one property to own horses, saddles,pads,boxes reins etc its endless. oh and take care of them year round! feed bill vet bills all for the avg hunter to use them on 1 trip a year.

Agree entirely which is why so many people are fascinated by the possibilities of alternative pack stock. Show them some video, throw in some factual info and the wheels start spinning. I have 17 llamas on 2-1/2 acres, costs 1 big bale/year/animal, had my first vet bill in five years (it was $30) last month. Show them some video of 4 llamas in an 8' bed driving up to a trailhead and jumping out like dogs to carry your stuff into the back country, most people start to thinking it is something they can afford.

IMG_0317 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC01875 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

and the answer to only one trip a year is (besides make more trips) rent don't buy, the animals need to be in condition for the same reasons you should be in condition.

Is the Nevada hunt with Randy and his son posted someplace? I did a quick YouTube search this a.m and didn't come across it.

I was going to be all excited and say "yeah! of course it is." Then I looked at what was live on YouTube. It's not posted yet. Soon, hopefully.

I think you should have an episode of hunting with your wife. Also was wondering how you get to hunt so much throughout the year, away from the family. Maybe a family hunting trip would be a good episode, or couple of episodes.

I have young children and try to get them watching hunting shows, take them on quad rides, etc. Tough to get a trip away 7hr drive, small kids out in the woods to hunt. Wife is not into the hunting thing, but never complains about eating bacon wrapped elk tenderloins.

Perhaps another idea for a show is showing people how to butcher their own meat once it's home and has been hanging a couple of days. To me, butchering/wrapping your own is where the true meaning of hunting really is. All that work to get an animal, and then process it into roasts/steaks/sausage is where the time in the hunt truly pays off.

And while your at it, maybe some wild game recipes / cooking.

Anyhow keep up the good work. Really appreciate your enthusiasm.

I would love to see a female hunter on the show. As a woman, that would really mean a lot to me, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I would love to see a female hunter on the show. As a woman, that would really mean a lot to me, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

There was a female hunter as part of the Hunt Talk Bear Hunt in season 4 of Fresh Tracks (https://youtu.be/4RHqYQZ7ACo) but so far no episodes have really focused on a female. It is on our list to do if we can find the right person and right story.

How about a state by state budget hunt. A lot of Sportsmen and people who want to hunt are on a tight budget. You could do a Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming $300 total hunt. Your a resident of that state and we spot you a gun (if you don't have a gun howa is a fine budget rifle, cheap but not cheaply made) and a truck and the rest is in that budget. Fuel, groceries, tag, license, etc. Is it hard? Yep, but people do it all the time. I think we all remember nights in a $20 Wal-mart tent eating beanie weeny out of a can heated by fire with blankets to sleep in. However we were still excited to be out. Newcomers may not know by watching hunting shows because we use good gear how to hunt on a budget. You could split the same hunt and say this is your $200, $300, $400 options.

A predator hunt- Coyote, Wolf, Lion. Calling or spot and stalk. Also skinning and field care for the same species. Depending on how you want it mounted, rugged, or for sale you need to skin differently.

More trapping- It's a good way to make some extra cash, It's fun, can get you an in with a landowner if you save some cattle, and it helps game populations.

Field judging age of animals.

Care for a cape and head on a big game hunt- Fleshing, salting and so on. It's not always needed but good to know if you need to.

Muzzleloader hunts.

Handicap/Disabled accessible hunts- Hunters with a valid handicap sticker get access to more roads in Idaho and can hunt from the road. They are allowed a companion to help. Wilderness hunts are awesome. But with a wheelchair bound mother and aging companions I always try to think of things they can do if they want to go. One of my favorites was watching Ole deer hunt. It made me want to call my dad up and take him hunting.

Caribou, sheep, or goat in Alaska. Also the budget to do it. Like you did for bear. I REALLY enjoyed seeing it could be done on a modest budget.

Bear hunting over bait. How to properly set a bear bait.

Last edited:
Currently listening to episode 57 of the podcast. you & the guest are talking about hunting on the east coast.

I'm not "experienced" hunting the adirondacks but i'm right on the edge (5ish miles) of them so would be willing to help you navigate the logistics

The 'Dacks would be cool, I spent a lot of time chasing grouse and deer up there, lots of leg room up there when the weather starts to turn sour. One of the few places on the east coast anymore where a buck can grow old and die while never seeing a human.

Where are you located Tim?

Hunting up there Randy could swap his Sitka gear for some Malone woolies and an old .30-30 chasing a big ole NY bruiser with a fresh trackin snow lol. Lots of tradition in those hills!

Currently listening to episode 57 of the podcast. you & the guest are talking about hunting on the east coast.

I'm not "experienced" hunting the adirondacks but i'm right on the edge (5ish miles) of them so would be willing to help you navigate the logistics

The 'Dacks would be cool, I spent a lot of time chasing grouse and deer up there, lots of leg room up there when the weather starts to turn sour. One of the few places on the east coast anymore where a buck can grow old and die while never seeing a human.

Hunting up there Randy could swap his Sitka gear for some Malone woolies and an old .30-30 chasing a big ole NY bruiser with a fresh trackin snow lol. Lots of tradition in those hills!

I am with both of you and would love to see more eastern hunts. My family has a cabin in north central PA on public land. Sadly, Randy has addressed the eastern hunting topic before and due to partnerships based on a western DIY, public land hunting he won't be able to do it. Maybe it could be something we see on his YouTube channel?

I think Randy should do a show with a fat broken wounded combat veteran who won't be able to keep up with him that would probably end up shooting a spike :cool:

Randy, i don't think any of us expect you to always fill your tag.in fact i think you fill more than expected.

Randy, i don't think any of us expect you to always fill your tag.in fact i think you fill more than expected.

Thanks. Good feedback to hear.

This year, at least so far, has been one for the ages. Doubt we can continue the streak we are currently on, but we're gonna try.

I think Randy should do a show with a fat broken wounded combat veteran who won't be able to keep up with him that would probably end up shooting a spike :cool:

I hope this goes through, I've got a lucky Air Force beer koozie here in Cheyenne for ya too. I know the viewers would love to see you and Randy toast an ice cold busch light on national TV.

I grew up in south central PA (below State College/PSU)

Now i'm North of Utica NY in the black river valley right on the edge of the Tug Hill and Adirondacks. usually just drive out to old forge for movies, or I believe our horse trail system is in the adirondacks a bit but once you drive deeper into the park it's a different world than out here on the edges with farm lands and small patches of woods...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back