Successful draw WY Area 68 Antelope!

CGeminski42

Burned 9 points and pulled an Area 68 WY pronghorn tag. Heading out with my college roommate. Camping near Alcova on the North Platte River so we can flyfish. Very excited!

If anyone has hunted 68 recently or fished the North Platte in early October l would love to hear any input or advice you are willing to share.

It's probably the most talked about area on this site. The search function should turn up a bunch of info. Good luck!

One of the best areas in the state. Some buddies of mine have shot some whoppers in 68 the past few years.

Good lope, fall browns are amazing. Just know depending on where you camp weather can be issue getting out, be smart and prepared

Hunted it last year. We camped on pathfinder it was nice and caught some walleyes off shore. No need to worry about finding goats. They are everywhere. We saw several mid 70s or better goats a day. It will be an enjoyable hunt, just wish I could go again but don't plan to build that many points again.

Burned 9 points and pulled an Area 68 WY pronghorn tag. Heading out with my college roommate. Camping near Alcova on the North Platte River so we can flyfish. Very excited!

If anyone has hunted 68 recently or fished the North Platte in early October l would love to hear any input or advice you are willing to share.
Good luck!

Congrats. I burned 11 along with my son's 4 for 66. I thought hard about us drawing separate units but in the end didn't feel right about it. It'll be a fun hunt.

Antelope can move locations from August through October depending upon water sources and snow later in the season. Last year was super dry and some areas were void of antelope by Sept while others had many. Be prepared to cover country to find the pockets of antelope if it's dry. If it gets wet the antelope can be spread over a larger area. If it snows the antelope may also dramatically move. Like every decent antelope unit in Wyo it may take a while to find a monster and passing up literally hundreds of bucks. If you are searching for B&C it is very helpful knowing how to field judge bucks.

Jnd1959, it's nice you'll be able to share an antelope hunt with your son this year! Good luck!

Antelope can move locations from August through October depending upon water sources and snow later in the season. Last year was super dry and some areas were void of antelope by Sept while others had many. Be prepared to cover country to find the pockets of antelope if it's dry. If it gets wet the antelope can be spread over a larger area. If it snows the antelope may also dramatically move. Like every decent antelope unit in Wyo it may take a while to find a monster and passing up literally hundreds of bucks. If you are searching for B&C it is very helpful knowing how to field judge bucks.

Jnd1959, it's nice you'll be able to share an antelope hunt with your son this year! Good luck!
Thanks. I hope he has fun. Kind of a senior year present. But if he shoots a better goat than me he's gonna have to hitch a ride home with someone :)

Is there any info or tips you have for unit 66 that could help me out? I'm going alone and would appreciate any pointers you might have.

Me and a friend of mine both have 10 points for Antelope is unit 66 worth 10 points ? Never been there but I see where guys speak highly of it.

Goats move from the higher elevations in the SE to the lower elevation north off of the escarpment. If going early, I'd hunt the SE above Beaver Divide. Later in the season I'd move north through the "pass".

I'd look at some other units if I had 10 points and was looking for a trophy animal. Although, 66 is likely to have the tags cut this next year and may take 10 to draw. It's hard to say with the tag cuts in other mid tier units. I'd wait until the tag numbers are published late spring. The last two years have seen some rough weather in the better units.

Big tip for those units… be comfortable shooting 400+ yards.
My son and I hunted 68 last year. I took my buck at 480 yds and he killed his at 670.
We tried getting closer, but the does wouldn't have it and the bucks were following them.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back