Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Successful 2012 DIY WY Antelope Video

mr_steve

We finally got our 2012 Antelope hunt video put together. It was our first time hunting antelope and our first time hunting in WY. And only our second hunting video. This was an awesome experience and I would recommend it to anyone. A ton of public land and lots of animals. It takes about 3 years of points to get a decent unit where you can get a 15"+ buck but in the meantime you can have fun hunting the lesser units. We went the first week of the season which I definitely think helped get a first look at the herds and tagged out in one day. I would definitely not pay for a guide ever on this type of hunt. But maybe we just had beginner's luck? You can apply in a group so all your friend's get the same tag and unit. We picked the east side because of travel distance. I would say a group of 3-4 could have a good successful 3 day hunt if you are not too picky. A tag is around $280 which is sort of expensive compared to hunting in state but one of the cheaper out of state big game tags, and your chances of eating tag soup are low.

Let me know what you think of the video!! (suggestions, comments, etc.) Getting better and havin' a blast trying new things. Sure does make it more challenging draggin' a camera around and trying to capture the hunt. For this hunt we bought a cheap tripod and that was the WRONG move, but now we stepped it up. Learned the hard way I guess. We have a mule deer video coming too so subscribe to our youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/701Outdoors?feature=mhee

Link to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MopBEQnWkE

228835_4812788923412_1288509353_n.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoyed your video, thanks for posting it. I tried filming my two sons on their first antelope hunt last year, I tried hand holding the camera too much and I agree with you about getting a good mount and tripod and then using them as much as possible. What do you think of that triangular barrel, good or just marketing hype? Congratulations on the antelope!

Yeah I mean it cuts down a little weight but I would say the benefits are minimal. Did you go hunting in WY as well? It takes some time to improve on filming. We only go on a few major hunts every year so practice is limited.

I enjoyed your video, thanks for posting it. I tried filming my two sons on their first antelope hunt last year, I tried hand holding the camera too much and I agree with you about getting a good mount and tripod and then using them as much as possible. What do you think of that triangular barrel, good or just marketing hype? Congratulations on the antelope!

Great job for your 2nd filming run! More zoom on the kill shot of course would be great, but that probably means a bigger more expensive camera. Also, in your print you wrote that you were going on a "stock",... (it's techncally a "stalk",... at least in our neck of the woods :) ). Very cool how you showed the decoy and talked about the land and borders. Also glad to see you chose not to shoot when it looked like maybe some kind of vehicle in the background? Looks like a fun hunt. Well done!

Back