Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Success!

Calif. Hunter

I finally got a couple of loads with the 100 gr TSX to work in my .257 Wthby Vanguard. I tried all the "standard" powders but could not get the accuracy I wanted...or even close to that level. RL-22, IMR-7828, IMR or H-4831, etc. Finally, H-1000 at max levels came together. Work up to this load, of course - but 75.5 gr of H-1000 with Federal GM Match Mag primers in Weatherby brass grouped in between 1/2 and 5/8 inch consistently. Now I have to chrono the load to see what velocity it is giving.

Ramshot Magnum came close to those groups, but not quite and I cannot find a single store that carries it locally.

Now I can go out and shoot the rifle at distance and see how it does.

It should be between 3500 and 3600 FPS. Sighted in a couple inches high at 100 yards makes it about dead-on at 300. It makes range estimation less of a stress factor. ;)

I leave for New Mexico on Thursday, Oct. 30. Mule deer season opens on the 1st. I hope I get to hunt this year - My Mom passed away last Nov 1, so I had to head home without hunting. My buddies all got decent bucks last year.

I may still use the Tikka in .300 Win mag. It is light and shoots the 150 Hornady Interbond into itty-bitty groups. It's not quite as fast, but should shoot flat enough for the shots I would take.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back