MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sub 32deg elk field dressing

undercover

Do any of you HuntTalk members have any insight on working up an elk in sub freezing weather? I am curious as to how much time you have before the animal starts to freeze before all 4 quarters and other muscles groups are difficult to cut with a knife. Any tips or tricks? High probability that I will be solo and low probability I will have a partner. I was thinking packing a wind block of some sort, but then again the ground would be froze for spikes, I could possibly tie off with paracord if the terrain permits. Love cold weather, hands and feet usually handle the temps well. I was also thinking about using a set or 5 of the 1.99 jersey gloves over the gutting gloves available at gas stations or dollar generals. Thanks in advance

Brian

A couple years ago I killed a cow elk at the end of legal light. The temperature was around 0˚F soon after sunset. The meat was still warm when I finished quartering it, working by myself. I stashed the meat I wasn't packing out that night up off the ground in a mahogany shrub. When I got back to the site late the next morning, I found the quarter that was resting in a branch fork had formed around the branch while it was still warm, then froze. It took some work to pry it loose. Around 18 hours had passed since the shot. The meat was all stiff, but not frozen hard.

I agree with JLS, you'll have plenty of time to process it. There's a lot of heat in that much mass.

I shot my bull last year during 4th season in Colorado. About knee deep snow and temperatures were getting just below zero in the town near where I shot the bull, though town was 2500 feet lower in elevation. All told it was beyond cold. I was solo and it took me a couple days to get him out. The meat was stiff but never froze to the point of being unable to field process it. You should have plenty of time to work on an elk unless it's significantly below zero throughout the entire day.

Unless it is really windy, I find I don't get cold hands from field dressing/taking apart large animals as their warmth is still present if found in a reasonable time after death. It is a lot of work to break them down, so I find myself losing layers as I continue to process into smaller parts.

I do use protective gloves (blood borne pathogens/allergies to fur) but they are surgical barriers, not thermal protection.

I concur with everyone else’s experience. If you are going to leave a field dressed elk overnight in sub zero temps make sure you quarter it or break it down to whatever sizes you can pack out when you come back.

In 2016 I shot a cow in Jan... temp was 10 degrees with a decent wind. Didn't have any problems because of the temp... actually it terms of meat care it was ideal. In my experience thin gloves are the way to go as the best way to keep your hands warm is to have them inside/touching the animal.

thanks all for the replies, this was really one of a few "UNKNOWNS" for me. I have harvested two caribou in northern Quebec back in early 2000's where the temp was -15, however we were able to pull the caribou out with snowmobiles 11km. Just a normal old school field dress and we were on our way back to camp with a heated processing shed. Any more comments, tips, or tricks for extreme cold weather I would really appreciate it. I'm a new member however a long time stalker. Learned a TON from the seasoned elk professionals and also utilized a few PM's to first timers the past season or two like myself who were in the same boat as me now. Great forum, thanks again

Brian

We killed three elk in Hell's Canyon several years ago, skinned and quartered and stacked by the trail. Brought horses back the next day and loaded up the quarters which were basically frozen solid. Had to bring them in the tent next to the stove to thaw them enough to bone out. Rarely have my fingers been that cold before or after.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back