Yeti GOBOX Collection

Struggling to eat healthy while traveling

This won't help much with the prospective menu choices, but maybe consider doing a 3-day fast here and there. I have done 2 water-only fasts in the last 3 weeks for health purposes and dropped from 197 to 183, including losing some fat below my chin that hasn't seemed to budge (didn't even go away when I dropped to 175 after a 3 week elk trip in both CO and NM).

It's really important how you "re-feed" yourself after ending a fast, though. Lots of cruciferous vegetables will help build a better gut biome and will have you craving even more healthy choices. Lots of restaurants can help you out by steaming (or even serving raw) vegetables. You might have to order a few things a la carte rather than a typical order.

Good luck!

I have tried to fast several times. I always feel so drained when I fast. Maybe I am not sticking with it long enough. Usually by the first night I am lightheaded and have the shakes. I have had blood work and have no sign of diabetes. Maybe I am just a wus...

I go Whole 30 when I travel (except vacation).

It keeps me honest and avoids things like the bread basket, chip basket, or cheese pit.

As many have said, steakhouses are your friend. Get a sirloin with two veggies, a salad, and glass of water and you are doing great.

Mexican - fajitas, hold the rice, double the grilled veggies.

Asian - stir fry no rice

BBQ - meat, salad, greens, hold the bread.

If you can scout your restaurants before you go and decide what you are getting BEFORE you get there. It is easier to get the grilled salmon with baked potato and broccoli if you decided in advance than if you wait until you get there and the server tells you the special is all you can eat fried fish and $2 domestics.

If you eat alone, before you even get started tell your server no bread/peanuts/chips for the table, no drink menu, and no desert menu.

You got this!

Last edited:
I am on a mission to lose weight, gain muscle, and just get in the best shape I can. I am down to within 8 lbs of my i initial weight goal and stuck. I am really struggling with sticking with healthy food choices while traveling for work. I am bumping up against 80 nights in a hotel so far this year and the vast majority of the travel is in Louisiana, and we aren’t exactly known for our healthy restaurants. I do my best to choose the healthiest menu items, but many of those leave a lot to be desired.

What adds further complications is that our AP department that oversees expenses isn’t exactly on board at this point with me hitting the grocery stores in the towns I am staying in and expensing my meals as raw ingredients.

Any tips from someone who has dealt with similar challenges?
Stop looking at the scale. Means nothing.

If your on a treadmill then stop running and do more sprinting on and off.

Lower the reps and increase the weight if your lifting weights.

more water and pickup a jug of clean whey protein powder for traveling or in between meals and after workouts.

you may not be at the scale weight you want but that could also mean the muscle gain goal is going well...Chicken, rice and broccoli will do wonders.

A lot of those processed "healthy" frozen meals are packed with salt. Tread carefully when something says its "healthy"

I am on a mission to lose weight, gain muscle, and just get in the best shape I can. I am down to within 8 lbs of my i initial weight goal and stuck. I am really struggling with sticking with healthy food choices while traveling for work. I am bumping up against 80 nights in a hotel so far this year and the vast majority of the travel is in Louisiana, and we aren’t exactly known for our healthy restaurants. I do my best to choose the healthiest menu items, but many of those leave a lot to be desired.

What adds further complications is that our AP department that oversees expenses isn’t exactly on board at this point with me hitting the grocery stores in the towns I am staying in and expensing my meals as raw ingredients.

Any tips from someone who has dealt with similar challenges?
If you can buy from the grocery it is tough. I had a traveling job years ago. Sometimes out 20 nights a month. They need to provide a per day allowance and let you decide what and when you want to eat.

Healthy eating out isn't impossible but it is dang tough. In places you go or find yourself there may be very limited choices. But there is always a grocery store.
The only thing you can do is what some have mentioned and stick with ordering whole foods off the menu. Ala carte is your friend. Anything that is not whole food in a restaurant is going to be loaded with sodium and crap you dont want.
I eat at a local BBQ for lunch often. I order a meat ala carte and maybe some slaw or a salad for a side. Not perfect but better choice than bread, beans loaded with sugar or fries.

I have tried to fast several times. I always feel so drained when I fast. Maybe I am not sticking with it long enough. Usually by the first night I am lightheaded and have the shakes. I have had blood work and have no sign of diabetes. Maybe I am just a wus...
I'm not calling you a wus - at least not until you tell me how big you are and how far from AZ :cool: - but it's likely getting in your head more than a real physical issue. It's a good idea to focus on other tasks.

The energy/hunger and sometimes light-headedness generally come in waves. At times you will feel more energetic than normal, not less, even after the 48 hour mark but there are times when I have felt lightheaded for very short periods (maybe 15-30 minutes at top end). There are times when you feel ravenous and times you don't feel hungry at all. I've not experienced the shakes at all. Fasting may be easier on the road than at home because you might be able to isolate yourself away from food better. It's much harder to pull off if you have family eating around you and you can see and (worse) smell good food. If it seems like too much, you could do a bone broth fast so you're at least taking in some nutrients.

The idea behind both is that you're breaking down your current gut biome and rebuilding with quality bacteria that craves quality foods because you're re-feeding yourself with those quality foods rather than crap. It's tough. The Standard American Diet is, well, SAD.

If it was me and they will not reimburse for groceries i would either make meals ahead of time like i do currently for each week. I have friends in the same situation that travel a lot for work, the ones that fly alot still pack their meals with. option 2 is i would still buy groceries and hell with AP and just pay for it out of my own pocket. We are the only ones in control of our health and the decisions we make. No it is not as nice paying out of pocket for meals when others will get theirs reimbursed, but if this is something you really want to do its a small sacrifice for the greater good.

Get your calories at breakfast and lunch. Supper is not necessary. We used to get an app along with our alcohol instead.

If it was me and they will not reimburse for groceries i would either make meals ahead of time like i do currently for each week. I have friends in the same situation that travel a lot for work, the ones that fly alot still pack their meals with. option 2 is i would still buy groceries and hell with AP and just pay for it out of my own pocket. We are the only ones in control of our health and the decisions we make. No it is not as nice paying out of pocket for meals when others will get theirs reimbursed, but if this is something you really want to do its a small sacrifice for the greater good.
Buy from the grocery store and don't worry about being reimbursed. You'd pay that much if you weren't travelling anyway.

Pretty much how it will end up if I can't get them on board. I am done eating crap food because I am on the road.

Looking back at what I have expensed per month on average it is a pretty good chunk of change, but no worth having to eat and feel unhealthy.

Find a grove / routine - and then stick to it. Plan your next day out the night beforehand. I travel a TON and am routinely surrounded by decadent food, booze, whatever. Could easily be +100lbs in 2yrs if I didn’t have rules.

- I stay at nicer hotels w/ nice gyms, close to running trails that I “scout” on Strava
- I always pack workout gear
- Lay all your workout gear and visit the gym as soon as you check in
- I do my workout first thing in the morning, I’ve got less responsibility on the road so mind as well use that free time to get in better shape
- Have beef jerky, mixed nuts, apples in my carry on; especially if time zones; flight schedules go to hell
- Stay super hydrated all day
- Don’t get into the mindset of “treating yourself” on work trips; ever. You’re there to work; this ain’t a vacation from your goals

- Breakfast is same as home
- Lunch - Salad + Protein
- Dinner - Salad + Protein + Steamed veggie
- All you can drink unsweetened tea, seltzer water, black coffee, flat water

*me eating Freddy’s burger sitting in a hotel while traveling for work while reading this*
All kidding aside, if you HAVE to eat at a restaurant, Chipotle or subway is the way to go. Always go for the lean meats, as low carbs as possible and double meat and load up on the veggies. I lost a lot of weight a long time ago based on that diet. Gained it all back because I fell out of routine.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back