strange sheep question

wheels

just wondering thoughts im disabled chair bound still would like chance to maybe sheep hunt and i know i could never do a ram tag justice but thinking about applying for ewe tags in MT at some point just thinking how accessible is the atreas they are in thanks

I think that it wouldn't be impossible if it was done in The Breaks.

Wheels,,,, There are plenty of sheep hunts available that would allow you an opportunity to harvest a sheep, ram, ewe or either sex. With a bit of research, you will find that there are many sheep hunts that are close to 100% harvest rate year after year. I would start your research with those high harvest rate units and then look at the road access. Then talk to the local Biologist about your limited mobility and he/she will give you an honest probability on your success if drawn.

The vision of sheep hunting, for most hunters, is backpacking into the high country to find sheep in some god awful steep rocky basin. Yes, there are plenty of those sheep hunts available! But in reality, there are plenty of sheep hunts where the sheep can be seen standing on the road! The later of these usually have the toughest odds of drawing due to many folks actually seeing sheep as they drive through these areas.

Do your research and you will find multiple sheep hunts that would allow you a good chance at being successful with your limited mobility, Ram, Ewe or Either Sex!
Good Luck to you.

Mtnhunter1

I think that it wouldn't be impossible if it was done in The Breaks.

My experience has been different. I've bumped in to sheep in each of the three breaks units, and they were all in hellholes that there's no way you'd get a chair to.

In my opinion you'd have a much easier time in Western Montana. Both the units that offered ewe tags last year in Region 2 would be doable from logging/fs roads. Not as sure on the region 1 and 3 tags, I just dont know those units as well.

Unfortunately ewe tags have gotten pretty hard to draw outside of the breaks.

It's not impossible to kill a ewe or sheep in the breaks from a wheel chair. I don't know him personally but a friend of a friend had a buddy that was full blown wheel chair bound. Not sure of why, but that doesn't matter. He was bound and determined to kill a bull with his bow by himself. So what did he do...... he scouted, practiced, the whole summer. Found some game trails in the willows he could get to with his chair. The season came..... he did sensay most of us do. Plan a week, and go. Every morning he wheeled himself to his "spots"..... sat at them all day. Had some chances but they were not right or too far or whatever. On the 4th day sure as shit he whacked a 6pt bull. His buddies came in and packed him out and I think he strapped the rack on his back of his chair and wheeled him out.

Point is it's possible. Ive seen more ewes in grain fields in the breaks then the hills. With some research and planning it can be done. Good luck to you and let me know if you need any help I'd be happy to do some research for ya.

guess i should have stated it like this would be in vehivcle for most part but would use chair to get extra yardage if needed but thaks for all the good info

Haven't looked at the odds but you might be able to gain some vehicle access even in 302 for a ewe tag. My uncle popped a ram right above the road there when he had a tag. Said the where usually sheep around the highway even, especially later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back