Story of ID F&G......

supersider34

Here is something that will make all hunters sick..
This is posted here because it is mule deer related.
Start it off with this. You spend money to win a raffle for a super tag and spend money to travel out to Idaho to hunt after winning a mule deer tag. Only to take a huge buck of a lifetime and have a envious little pr@#$ call you in for poaching and get a Federal Officer show up at your house to confiscate the horns and have 8 F&G cops show up at your Taxidermist to take the hide that you where planning on having a full body mount done. ALL on anonymous phone call.
That 218 big buck I posted last month this happened to that buck and hunter. What does this say about Idaho Fish & Game? Just a phone call. Some little piece of sh@# that sits in a little hole and was mad his little peon of a buck was no match for this true monster of a buck. Got to pout because there are true hunters out there that scout and will put there good friend on monster bucks instead of whining because they cant get off there 4 wheelers or out of there trucks to find the big ones of there dreams.
The other thing that gets me is this. They went into my friends place of business which is his livelyhood and makes a new customer sit in there truck till they have gone. The F&G officers did this. Made my friend lose business or potential business from rumors that will fly. The total disrespect from F&G and total unprofessional courtesy they did not show towards him. All over a phone call. I hear rumors fly on almost every big buck but there is no evidence just a phone call. It makes me worried to keep trying for big ones. Because if F&G can attack this then what happens if they go to someone that doesnt have the means to fight back. Meaning money. I feel the CAP program is good but to wait or not to act on a call or to have no other evidence than just saying whatever. There has to be a medium here and not someone that is envious or jealous of a buck. When will it stop when someone who hunt hard or just happens to be in the right place at the right time gets called in. F&G wants to make money off these tags and wants to make more but to go after a hunter that has spent alot of money for the SUPER TAG and spends money to come here and the money he spent while here. I would be a little nervous of coming to Idaho to hunt trophy animals.
But this irks every sense in me. I for one would bust someones jaws if they came out and told me they called any of these guys in. I would vouch for my friends Dad 100%. He has more knowledge than most people I know of mule deer in the units he goes into. But to make up stories is BS.
Sorry to go on but the F&G has showed me again very unprofessional and disrespectful towards what there job should be.

SS34:

Was his business and home served with a search warrant? If so, there may be more than just an anonymous phone call, as the law requires more than that for the issuance of such a warrant. As for not allowing him to conduct business during the search, that's not uncommon for ANY law enforcement agency to follow if serving a search warrant. It is a definate inconvienence, but many times necessary to conduct the search quickly and thoroughly.

Hope everything works out for the best and the truth is found.

Ithaca
it took place on 11-24. I was told by a mutual friend and talk with my friend who owns the Taxidermist shop. As for you saying ranting about. I can vouch for everyone of the guys and will. I have heard of every big buck in this area about different rumors of how bucks where taken. All illegal. I say if you dont see it then shut the hell up about it. Be happy for getting a chance to see it.
Bohntr:
That funny you say law requires. Well they also took a kids buck from last year from his shop and the kid got it back this year with no evidence at the time of confiscating it. Just a phone call made in. Only difference is these guys are getting attorneys to fight it from some people also backing them from Boise. Happened to them also and had to get attorneys to fight it and clear themselves. When they went out last time to get the horns and cape off this other buck there was 1 old man and a new guy. This time they went out with 5 trucks and 8 officers. Do they think it would be another Claude Dallas incident? Come on. I have had officers here when asking questions get rude and in my face for asking questions relating to hunting bears. Actual get mad at me and trying to down grade me for the questions. So I can relate to this problem. They have a job and I believe some mean well but to get disrepectful or not be courtesy is wrong. This goes to show that you can call in on anyone and end up with heart ache and discontent.
All I am saying in this post is this. Why do people without anything to do but get jealous of another hunters success have to be a sniveling punk. Step up and confront the person in person. Not whine and stick a person in the back. What kind of person does this? How many times have you heard people talk about someone elses success. I do hear it all the time and if they dont have proof I tell them to shut the heck up. Maybe its just me that does this or a chosen few. If more people step up to friends and story tellers then it would stop. Just how I am.

SS34:

I hear the gist of what you're saying, bud. If at the conclusion of the investigation it is determined that some hunter's jealously is the sole driving force for making the complaint then repercussions should apply. I sure hope everything works out for the better.

SuperSider,

You are omitting a pretty important detail. Why did somebody call CAP and what was the alleged illegal activity? The F&G had to have "probable cause", as they don't just go around because somebody is "jealous".

We have had people call in on us for Goose Hunting, and if you have all your "ducks in a row", you just have a plesant conversation with the Officer, and he wishes you a good afternoon.

The hunter that had his horns taken back at his home back east is not worried at the outcome of the buck. He knows he had all his ducks in a row. So handed them over without cause. Knows every thing was on the up and up. All i say is this and this made me mad. I for one am tired of hearing the stories of big bucks being taken illegally. From idiots that wont hunt them or get knowledge of area's.
We will wait and see the outcome. This is me on this as like I said I know the guy that found the buck and have faith and know that is on the up and up. I know the knowledge he has in the area he hunted. I just will not condemn someone over accusations instead of a phone call. But in the end we will find out. There are guys on here that know the other person that was there at the time of harvest.
But like I said this thing is BS. I dont know how many times i have sat back at the archery shop or at Sportmans and over heard or had conversations of how some of the big bucks that where taken. It is a pathetic situation when you hear them coming from the 5th or 10th person it was told to. How come most people just dont sit back and enjoy the fact they got to see or handle a huge rack off of any bull or buck. Some just dont know when to keep there mouth shut. Like I said before I have stepped in on conversations and asked if they where there or if they saw it with there own eyes and every time I have I got the same response. Well no I wasn't. Then I just say " Before you open your mouth about anything then know what you are talking about" Believe me I have done it a few times as I am outspoken. I am not here to make brownie points with no one. I came on this earth alone and will go out alone.

S-Sider,

But what did they tell him the reason they took the horns for? I can't believe they told him that everybody was "jealous" and the F&G just wanted to pick on him and take his horns.

There has to be a reason, was it on private land? After dark, something along those lines. It just doesn't quite "square" to say they took them because of jealousy....

Nothing is done here by the Game&Fish on hear say...no matter what is told by someone.

They must catch the person in the ACT!

It doesn't matter if 1000 people called and said I was spot lighting, poaching or trespassing...if they do not catch me in the ACT there is nothing they can do but watch me and try to catch me in the ACT.

My brother ran into a F&G officer while hunting today and he asked about it and the F&G cop told him it was shot in unit 45 during a muzzleloader hunt they have found the exact spot where the pics where taken and the gut pile there they will run DNA on pile and on the horns confiscated. Well reg's show a 45 hunt rifle and Muzzleloader hunt in all of unit 45. The unit is not split up. I thought super tag is for any open hunt. This buck was taken on 10-27. So what other story can come out?
Rumors rumors rumors.

They told him that it was poached. Thats why they confiscated the hide and horns.
When my brother talked to the F&G officer this is the same thing he told him but was taken in a unit where a super tag is valid and both ML and rifle hunt was going on in the WHOLE UNIT. They did not specify to my friend when they went threw his Taxi shop what the real reason was. His Dad is the one that found the buck and helped the hunter (His friend) get the buck. If the officer told them it was poached and got a call in on the CAP. But they did not specify to them except it was poached. Now my brother acting stupid of any knowledge just said he heard a rumor about the buck and the officer coming right out and stating to my brother that it was taken in unit 45 which has both rifle and ML open and the whole unit is open for both.
I am going to wait till this pans out legally. My friend and Gary the hunter said not to worry because it was all legal.

S_Sider,

Doesn't it seem odd that they would just say "poached" as that is not much of an allegation. Was it taken in a unit without a season open? Or was it taken by illegal method? Those would be the type of allegations that the F&G would pursue.

If it was a simple issue about it being killed in 45, and was a Super Tag valid. It looks like the officer would look in the regs and see if: A.) a hunt was open in that unit and at that time; and B.) was a Super Tag good for that hunt.

For an officer to look at pictures, drive the truck up the road, and get out and hike to the gut pile, get samples and submit them for DNA testing is a lot of work/$$$. Then for him to get warrants and arrange/coordinate a seizure sure seems like there is a bit more to the story than is answered by flipping thru the pages of the Regs.

Something sounds "fishy" about this, keep us posted, and if you can tell us more than "poached" it would make the story more interesting.

Flipper

You kept saying they need to catch you in the ACT. Are you nuts! :D They do not need to catch you in the act. If they can put you at the crime scene and the evidence points to you then your in trouble. 95% of poaching cases are convicted in this manner. A phone call, an investigation, a warrant, more investigation, a criminal charge, a trial, a convection, and a sentence. Say goodbye to your hunting rights! If they catch you in the ACT, it just shortens up the whole process. :rolleyes: Maybe in your neck of the woods thats how things work, but here in Idaho a phone call can get the ball rolling. However, most phone calls are over looked unless their is some hard evidence to go with it.

Keep us posted supersider. We are all ears.

NUTS??? :p Hahahahaaha...probably :D

But yes, that is how it works in "my neck of the woods."

Guess we southerns are lucky that a jealous or mad hunter can't cause the kinds of problems that they can in Idaho.

Scenario: If I were hunting in Idaho, and I got to my hunting spot and there were a group of guys there, I could get all pissy about it and call the F&G and "make up some story" and the F&G would investigate these people and issue warrants? Now that is NUTS!!

Here is a scenario for you guys. If there was so much evidence going against anyone for this then why did nothing show up in the newspaper like in other area's around the state? If it was so great of a crime why did it take 8 F&G officers to confinscate the hide from a Taxidermist shop? I looked for it in the local papers and found nothing of the story. Since they try so hard to promote the CAP program.
One thing is, is I am looking at this as innocent till proven guilty. Not guilty till you prove your innocent. Wait till it happens to you. One thing to remember is this if they took the hide do you think that hide is going to be any good after a year not being tanned? They will not tan it. Gary was having a full body mount done of this buck. They knew where the hide was. The horns will last but not the hide. They could of took DNA off the hide and waited till tests where run. I know there are people out there that get capes but to have to buy a full hide to do a full body mount is BS. Do you think F&G will replace it? Will they give him another tag to hunt again for the loss of the hide? Nope.

The reason why you probably don't see it in the paper is because what you said....innocent until proven guilty. I don't think they have charged the guy with anything yet, all they did was obtain a warrant to seize property that was possibly involved in a crime........If the DNA tests come back positive....then you are probably going to see in the paper where he is being charged with poaching and going to court. Theres way more to this story I can see then any of us know about. Apparently there tip was pretty solid if they have located the site of kill, gutpile etc. Either someone watched them shoot this buck or that person was watching it very closely and monitoring it. This did'nt come from some jealous hunter making a phone call, apparently it came from a legitimate complaint for F&G to have gathered enough evidence and info to seize the hide and head. Sounds to me like F&G is just doing there job...

Supersider

Don't you think Shane should have sent the hide to the tannery about two weeks ago. Why did he still have the hide? It doesn't take 4 weeks to dry out a hide to prepare for shipping! Know body is jumping on the band wagon with the F&G, we just want their side of the story also. All that we are saying is that there is more to this then just a jealous person who made a phone call. I personal have been in the shoes where jealous people make phone calls about me every year and my place has yet to be raided. So there is more to the story, at least from the F&G side of things. You don't get the feds involve by calling them saying "we have a jealous person who says that deer wasn't taken legally" And the feds go raid the house! they usually have all their eggs in a row.

Can someone help me? I was wondering if this falls under the "motor vehicle restrictions" regulations????? I see in the regs that both the rifle and muzzleloader hunts have that restriction..... Did they use an ATV or truck wrong?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back