Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Stock rig will it survive the west

Midwestwhitetail

I have a new GMC 1500 with the 5.3 ecotec. It's a crew cab short box. I am working on plans for next years hunt in wyoming. My truck is all stock currently. It will most likely get some more aggressive tires before the trip. With stock height will it make it down some of the roads out in Wyoming?

2) what are the opinions of hauling my polaris ranger with me. Could it end up being worth the hassle to haul it out there from the midwest?
Thanks in advance

1. Yes. Be prepared for the possibility of mud like you've never seen though. Chains aren't a bad idea.

2. If you can access an area with a Ranger, there will already be tons of people there with their UTVs. I'd leave it at home.

1. Yes. Be prepared for the possibility of mud like you've never seen though. Chains aren't a bad idea.

2. If you can access an area with a Ranger, there will already be tons of people there with their UTVs. I'd leave it at home.
Awesome. I appreciate the info. That was my concern with the ranger but thought maybe if it was later in the season and the roads were hard to get to trail head it would help in that situation. I will definitely look into some chains when it gets closer. Idk how happy the wife will be with me taking the new truck to the mountains. Guess we will find out.

You'll be fine with a stock truck and better tires. As mentioned chains would be a nice addition as well as some tow straps/cables for emergencies

I don't have a good response about the UTV...I see guys driving those things everywhere (often where they're not supposed to be) and that is the most annoying thing ever. If it's licensed you may be able to drive that around on public roads (I don't know the laws about highway use in WY) and save wear and tear on your truck.

My truck is stock and has been to WY every year for a decade.
I take my ATV almost every year as well, it just depends on the hunt areas and and/or HMA area rules.

My hunting rig is a stock Ford F150 4dr. pickup with the short box. It works fine. Yes to a good set of chains and a couple of tow straps. A good come-along or two is not a bad idea to throw in the truck also. Get something simple like Rubbermaid Action Packer to put these extra items in to store in the bed of the pickup. Keeps them all together and clean and dry. Use a motorcycle tie down strap across the bed to hold it in place so it doesn't slide around.

My truck is stock and has been to WY every year for a decade.
I take my ATV almost every year as well, it just depends on the hunt areas and and/or HMA area rules.
That was my other concern. I will need to do more research before that time gets here. That way I can make sure it would even be worth taking the sidexside.

My hunting rig is a stock Ford F150 4dr. pickup with the short box. It works fine. Yes to a good set of chains and a couple of tow straps. A good come-along or two is not a bad idea to throw in the truck also. Get something simple like Rubbermaid Action Packer to put these extra items in to store in the bed of the pickup. Keeps them all together and clean and dry. Use a motorcycle tie down strap across the bed to hold it in place so it doesn't slide around.
I am kicking around the idea of a bed cover. Or have also thought of getting a camper shell to use just for hunting trips to give a little more room and some extra cover to get out of the elements with out trashing the cab.

Reactions: Guy
Your truck should be fine. Just be aware that after you take it out west, it likely will not be "new" after the trip. Depending on where you go and how adventurous you are, I would reccomend an extra gas can, a fully serviceable spare tire, a good jack, a set of tire chains, and a chainsaw. All the above have saved my butt in the past two years.

I am kicking around the idea of a bed cover. Or have also thought of getting a camper shell to use just for hunting trips to give a little more room and some extra cover to get out of the elements with out trashing the cab.

Skip the bed cover and go for the Camper shell if you are going to cover the bed. More room and options.

If you can tow without worrying then bring the SXS. It will save pinstrips on the pickup and give you options.

10 ply tires recommended on the truck. Recently graded gravel roads are famous for ruining tires with upturned sharp rocks.

Assume the truck is 4x4. You’ll be fine. Bring your Ranger and be respectful how you use it.
You'll see folks say not to bring it, but I think they’re just trying to keep the UTV/ATV traffic down. It will keep wear and tear off your truck and might allow you to get closer to a downed animal.

Assume the truck is 4x4. You’ll be fine. Bring your Ranger and be respectful how you use it.
You'll see folks say not to bring it, but I think they’re just trying to keep the UTV/ATV traffic down. It will keep wear and tear off your truck and might allow you to get closer to a downed animal.
I can understand that. I think alot of people just dont use their brains when it comes to being respectful even though it is public ground there are still ethics involved. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get more info about rules for UTV's in certain areas and on roads in Wyoming?

I just wanna say thanks to everyone pitching in their opinions and ideas. Being a new guy to the forum and new to hunting out west it is awesome to be able to bounce ideas off people that have been there done that. I can only imagine how different it is gonna be from sitting in a tree stand waiting for a whitetail to walk past. Thanks again.

As for the Ranger I'd say it depends where your going. One area we go to we like to have it just for the roads. A stock truck can handle them but it's a slow go and bumpy. The SXS gets along much quicker. Also can put 4 guys in one truck with a trailer for the trip and then split into groups of 2 and both travel out of camp if desired.

Back