Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Stock rig will it survive the west

My first western hunt in wyoming my dad and I took his brand new dodge pickup and the side by side. Both Worked great. Both are all stock. Just don't be an idiot an you will be fine. 10 ply tires are helpful on some of those dirt roads I will say. The side by side we had was a massimo 500 that has extra large mud tires on it so it has a couple extra inches of ground clearance. Whats nice about those is the low range, so that you can climb up the steep stuff without revving the snot out of the engine and making a ton of noise. IMO if your rig doesn't have low range I wouldn't even bring it, your going to be to darn loud going up those hills.

I've beat the shit out of mine. 298k miles on it. It has upgraded shocks and an aftermarket front bumper that drastically improved front clearance. Other than that it's bone stock.

There are some roads your truck will not go down but a side by side will .
Check out the motor vehicle use map, MVUM, for the national forest area you'll be in for restrictions and open roads.
Trails for atvs are on the map mentioned above .

Had the exact same question this year taking my stock F150 to CO, decided to leave ATVs at home. Start with MVUM to see what's legal... but it wont tell you what's smart. I called local FS ranger and bio, asked about specific rds and trailheads I was interested in, and got lucky w weather.

In the end, made it up and back down every rd marked 4WD in truck, but much of it was white knuckle. Plenty new backcountry pinstripes and wear and truck suspension. ATV or SxS would have been much faster traveling the rougher "4WD" rds & probably less stressful but sure was nice traveling light on interstate.

If chains aren't sold near you then can buy some at Oreillys close to hunt location and return them unopened for refund on way home.

If you can put real skid plates on your truck, it could help save a big hit. I have been thankful on a couple trips to have it. But wow, do they pack mud and leaves too. I have had Goodyear DuraTracs on my truck for last two trips out there and they did great on the highway and on the trail, including embedded rocks, washboard, mudholes and off camber. No flats yet but I bring two spares. Air down on the washboard. Pack a full possibles bag of tools, and things like insulated wire and wire connectors, wheel studs, zip ties, hose pieces and clamps, and materials to change out brakes and other simple repairs. Stupid things go wrong on these trips that don't seem to happen in 25,000 miles of normal driving.

If you don't have "Backroad Pinstriping" you ain't huntin!Oh and you may suffer severe
groin pain when your wife see's "Her" new truck when you return home with the "pinstriping"Ha!,Ha! 🔥
That's no joke. The new pin-striping on the side of the new pick-up is the first thing my wife noticed after my son and I got back from bird hunting. :mad:

I saw a hilarious thing the other day. Brand new Gladiator Rubicon, lifted on 37s.......parked waaaaaay out in the back of the parking lot, across 3 spaces because, you know, don't want to get scratches or dings on your Gladiator!! :ROFLMAO:

There are a ton of Wrangler Rubicons where I am at. Most decked out for off roading. Into the garage mostly. It has replaced the minivan for soccer mom's in my area. Funny. mtmuley

There are so many lifted trucks and decked our jeeps around me. The closest they ever come to being off road is when whoever is driving is paying to much attention to their phone and drives over the curb. I have also noticed an increase in land rovers and range rovers. Doesnt seem like they would be needed in west central MO.

All great feedback so far. My experience has been, a stock truck will do just fine. We've all had ours up in the bighorns for a number of years with no issues. Some roads you just know aren't meant for a full size pickup.

From my own experience if you do decide to upgrade to 10 ply, that will automatically make you more brave and significantly increase your chances at any of the issues mentioned previously.

And, prepare to have dust in that new truck, forever.

I think from the opinions I have heard I better leave the new one at home until it is not so new. Which means I will take the feed truck which is probably better equipped since its spends more time off road than on road. It's already got 10 ply tires. It's a dually so idk if that is a plus or minus but it will work. There has been some awesome input on this thread. I appreciate everyone who is willing to share experiences to guys like me that hope to build some of these experiences and be able to contribute more to this site.

I think from the opinions I have heard I better leave the new one at home until it is not so new. Which means I will take the feed truck which is probably better equipped since its spends more time off road than on road. It's already got 10 ply tires. It's a dually so idk if that is a plus or minus but it will work. There has been some awesome input on this thread. I appreciate everyone who is willing to share experiences to guys like me that hope to build some of these experiences and be able to contribute more to this site.
I don't know if the dually would fit down some of the roads here, I'd just throw some 10 plys on the new one and go for it. I crawl my Ram 2500 down some pretty rough roads and it does fine.

Attachments

• 58958587255--BD267E9A-25A4-419C-A4D1-C3445B9FD238.JPG
    58958587255--BD267E9A-25A4-419C-A4D1-C3445B9FD238.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
I hadn't thought about the roads being so narrow. I am gonna have to make sure to investigate which roads I am most likely to take so I know. That is why I am leaning towards taking the UTV.

Back