Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Still working?

Working for sure - electrical utility, they have split the utilities operations dept into two teams, one week on duty one week off. Managements hoping only half of us get this crap i guess.

Retired, but still keeping myself active/ un-bored as a security guard at a financial data center. No way in hell they are going to cut my hours, probably going to cop some OT. That said, 80% of the rest of the people got their Stay At Home mandate.

Maryland is only allowing essential businesses (which still amazes me how many there are) to remain open. That said, we live near the beach in a service area economy. Things are way bad around here with huge layoffs everywhere.

I sell gasoline, beer and wine, and the occasional pack of smokes. Business still occurs but it’s tough going right now...Yes, all three are essential.

Retired but cook 2 days a-week for a senior center. No meals served in the center but delivered 6 days every week.

Wife still working normal hours, all good there. Im an independent distributor of medical supplies/implants- my elective based stuff has tanked, but have a few other lines that are keeping steady.

Construction industry here. Still going. Gonna start working from home now for 2 weeks starting Monday. Well... let's say I'll start Wednesday. Gonna go on a fishing trip for a few days lol. Finally found some open water and some walleyes!

Retired in the fall. Was going to let my pharmacist license lapse. Now scrambling to get CE credits to renew my license. Still do not plan to work. but, if this mess gets worse, I have a security blanket and could work relief.

Took a hit in the market and pulled out with losses. Still good till late 80's; I just needed a security blanket.

The only good thing about OR at this time, Governor listed businesses that needed to close, all others can stay open with some separation.

As I mentioned, I’m laid off indefinitely from my job in the city. I work for a design/build firm as the director of operations/lead carpenter.

My girlfriend (soon to be fiancé) and I are leaning pretty heavily on going balls to the wall and moving out of the city full time. We have a cabin that we can stay in until at least November. She can work remotely and go to the city a few times a month.

Now, I’m wondering if I’m crazy to try to find work as a carpenter in a rural town when I was making a very good salary in the city working for someone else’s company. I’ve been wanting to get out, but it’s awfully hard to leave the money behind.

As I mentioned, I’m laid off indefinitely from my job in the city. I work for a design/build firm as the director of operations/lead carpenter.

My girlfriend (soon to be fiancé) and I are leaning pretty heavily on going balls to the wall and moving out of the city full time. We have a cabin that we can stay in until at least November. She can work remotely and go to the city a few times a month.

Now, I’m wondering if I’m crazy to try to find work as a carpenter in a rural town when I was making a very good salary in the city working for someone else’s company. I’ve been wanting to get out, but it’s awfully hard to leave the money behind.
That’s a difficult decision for any person, a year and a half ago I left a large hospital for the opportunity to move to a more rural location and work for a local company. (I pushed hard for a westward move, but she wasn’t interested in being away from family) no regrets at all so far. I was able to use my much bigger salary to save a solid down payment on a house and moved completely debt free, so that also helped a lot! Not dealing with that city traffic alone has been almost worth it!

Update: Gov employer arranged us to work from a remote location, and go in 3 days instead of 5. The days we do go in we wear masks. It’s all fine and great as long as COVID stays out. If not, more changes coming...

this wraps up week....3? 4? I honestly don't know. I know my production has tanked with the good weather. I'm barely getting 24-30 hrs in, though I feel like I commit a solid 12 hrs per day 5-6 days a weeks trying to work, I then skim a little PTO to make up some of the difference, and some just learning to live with a smaller paycheck. My office is in the living room, about 7 feet from where the kids are setup for schooling. And I get about 5 minutes between requests or questions from the kids. That's just enough time to read through what you already wrote and not enough time to actually write anything. I don't know about others out there, but not only has my work production tanked, but my working around the house production has tanked. I used to get home from work and be free, now there is no freedom, it's all trying, often unsuccessfully, to get more work work done. Irrigation might arrive next week (you never actually know with our district) and I still have half a dozen projects that need to get wrapped up prior to that. Heck the garden isn't even tilled!

Still working. How we are "essential" I don't know. But I'd rather be working than stuck at home in the house. I'd go stir crazy.

Still working and feel very grateful. Went to the office yesterday for the first time in weeks for a mediation and it was weird and empty.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back