Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Still learning - 4 days in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness

RidgeRoamingRichard

I had the distinct privaledge of spending last Thursday through Sunday in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness area. We hiked into a series of covered ridgelines and set up camp tucked back on top of the tallest, about 5600 ft. 0514201449a_HDR.jpg
The first day was mostly spent getting in (we were much fatter than previously believed) and getting camp set up and our bear line slung. We glassed out a nearby valley that evening and made friends with the locals.0514201751_HDR.jpg0514202019.jpg
The next day, we decided to head downhill, into the thermals and hunt some of the valley further down. We ended up crossing the no hunting boundary and decided to fish for awhile. They were jumping all around us and we were wishing we were fly fishermen. The hike down was about 2000ft in three miles. The hike up mustve been 5 times that! I was butt-naked under my rain gear!0515201147_HDR.jpg0515201322_HDR.jpg
The next day was my favorite. After waking up too late (didn't set my alarm), we climbed to the peak and spent a glorious, sunny day looking for bears and spotting elk. That day will be with me long after the memories of my trophies fade.0516200940.jpg0516201351.jpg0516201454a.jpg0514201952b_HDR.jpg
The last day, we got up early and glassed around camp. I spotted 17 elk and 7 deer before breakfast! Got to watch two calves snuggle from about 50 yards, one of my favorite experiences in the woods yet. We then had a tremendous breakfast, booked it down the hill with our way-too-much gear in tow, and capped our trip with a beer abd burger at the York bar, even though the bartender was pretty sure we were 13. 0517201100.jpg0517201103.jpg
You'll notice a distinct lack of bears in these pictures. We didn't find any, but that didn't diminish the trip for me and I hope it didn't for Bill. I can't wait to get back out there to take my rifle on another walk. Thanks for checking out the thread! Keep hunting!

We found sone bear scat, but no scrapes. Didn't hear/see any predator sign really. All the elk we walked up on seemed pretty relaxed. That being said, I'm positive they were there, these two noobs just weren't spotting them.

your post brought back memories, I have the same set of pics from a spring bear hunt i did 35 years ago in there. I go agree don't give up they are there.

I think once you locate a bear in the area you will have a good spot to return to hear after year.
I hope to cover just about every square foot of that area! Finding a bear would be nice, but not necessary to keep me coming back!
My first thought when I saw your campsite was of forest fires. That area is gorgeous, but strikes me as a giant tinder box in late summer. This time of year, not so much I guess.
Definitely! Even this time of year, we only built fires behind wind breaks and burried each one with wet soil. Mostly used the jet boil.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back