State updates

FranklinME

OK maybe its because I'm day drinking for the first time in about 20 years ( downstairs fridge died last night ) Cant let the beer get warm but I'm watching the daily state updates for this area NJ, DE, and PA and I'm not convinced any of these sign language ladies/men on the split screen aren't just making stuff up. They all look like that guy from SA who had no idea. They all have the same updates but they all act differently? Like for example I just watched all thee states saying about opening the economy and all three sign language people were gesturing completely different, is that normal?

OK maybe its because I'm day drinking for the first time in about 20 years ( downstairs fridge died last night ) Cant let the beer get warm but I'm watching the daily state updates for this area NJ, DE, and PA and I'm not convinced any of these sign language ladies/men on the split screen aren't just making stuff up. They all look like that guy from SA who had no idea. They all have the same updates but they all act differently? Like for example I just watched all thee states saying about opening the economy and all three sign language people were gesturing completely different, is that normal?

In short, yes.

ASL is a very different language than English, and there is a lot of flexibility in how an interpreter builds the story.

Did you have them on side by side? A guy that is day drinking does not sound like a reliable indicator for if the ASL gestures are the same/different.
Pretty sure if I heard two different people say the same thing in language I am not familiar with it would take a lot of time and having it repeated to know if they were saying the same thing.

Did you have them on side by side? A guy that is day drinking does not sound like a reliable indicator for if the ASL gestures are the same/different.
Pretty sure if I heard two different people say the same thing in language I am not familiar with it would take a lot of time and having it repeated to know if they were saying the same thing.

All 3 interpreters could be standing on the stage together and would likely not translate in the same sequence, and could use different signs for the same story.

Ex. The governor could say "warehouse".
I would guess that ASL doesn't have a direct translation for warehouse, so one interpreter might sign something like "big building for saving groceries", and another interpreter might sign "giant work building for boxes".

My ASL is pretty weak, and I imagine a good interpreter would have a better translation, but there could be a lot of variability in it.

Went on a cruise once where there was a family of deaf cruisers. The cruise line provides 2 ASL people. Was lucky enough to share a table for dinner with one and we got to chatting.

Essentially it's not a translation word for word, but a translation of concepts, so they have to listen while their hands are actually a couple of seconds behind what they are hearing, all the while building the concepts out. She said they work in pairs because it's actually mentally exhausting to translate live speakers into sign. Was a very interesting dinner conversation

My sons football team played the deaf school for a couple of seasons. Very interesting to watch the deaf team communicate. They were prone to play past the whistle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back