Caribou Gear Tarp

State Trust lands regulations

Bhoesl

When hunting on state trust lands in MT, does anyone know the specifics of the rule regarding how far you must be from houses. In the regulations I found this:
“• Firearms may not be discharged within one-quarter mile of inhabited dwellings or outbuildings on state trust lands
without permission of the inhabitant.“

The way it says dwellings or buildings “on state trust lands” makes me think the law does not apply to houses on surrounding private property? (Assuming the shot is safe, etc)
Or does it mean no shooting within 1/4 mile of any building, period?

thanks

i don't even live in montana, so disregard me or whatever, but it makes me wonder if it's an ambiguity in the wording.

it's not the outbuilding or dwellings necessarily ON state trust lands, rather it's you ON state trust lands, would be my thought here

i personally would go the conservative route and if you are on state trust land and within one quarter mile of inhabited dwellings or outbuildings then i would not discharge a firearm, regardless of the land the buildings or dwelling reside on.

I don’t know the legal answer, but given that most state trust land parcels are only 1 square mile, it sure would make a small hunting area even smaller. I own two different 20 acres parcels in MT, each abutting 1 sq mi state land sections that don’t otherwise have public access. I’ve not had any neighbors complain about me hunting them, and other landowners hunt them as well. Interested to hear if others have more info on this.

My take on it was occupied dwellings on state land.
It’s not all that uncommon for there to be buildings on leased state land.

When hunting on state trust lands in MT, does anyone know the specifics of the rule regarding how far you must be from houses. In the regulations I found this:
“• Firearms may not be discharged within one-quarter mile of inhabited dwellings or outbuildings on state trust lands
without permission of the inhabitant.“

The way it says dwellings or buildings “on state trust lands” makes me think the law does not apply to houses on surrounding private property? (Assuming the shot is safe, etc)
Or does it mean no shooting within 1/4 mile of any building, period?

thanks
More info if needed.

YUP, 1/4 mile about 440 yards is the rule. Whether it is on stat land or off which happens a lot the house or building is right on the border but has to be 1/4 mile to shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back