Starbucks Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree on the retirement, pensions PLUS the ability to contribute to an IRA/401 would be best.

Lets just be honest, there are plenty of employees that say they "can't afford" to save for retirement. They find themselves in a cashflow situation of having to work until they die when retirement savings is an option. Defined Benefits/Pensions don't give the employee an option to participate. Sore, a smart employee will do better, but the average employee...well, probably isn't that will informed about retirement savings.

Just look at the mountains of articles with average retirement savings. Pretty obvious the average American Worker is woefully unprepared to retire. Many will never be able to, but they would if they had a pension.
How many of these pensions are unfunded liabilties that the US taxpayer is on the hook for?

My comment goes way beyond baristas and is pointed at the workforce as a whole. My experience is in industrial manufacturing, power generation, and pipeline. I’ve see countless people willing to eat a shit sandwich and not speak up/out over working conditions, benefits, and wages. A contract gives a person a voice and gives both sides clear cut rules to follow. I don’t understand why people are against that.

If they don't like the conditions, they can work elsewhere. Nothing and nobody is compelling them to keep eating that sandwich. It's a choice.

I always thought I was responsible for my own happiness. Not my employer or the government.

They will, and charge you $15 for a cup of coffee as all another goods and services go up in price by 30% and that $37 an hour you're paying the barista once again isn't enough to afford an apartment. I wish the world was as simple as the pipe dream you're living in.
How did you vote on prop 125?

Is the independent liquor store down the street charging you $100 for a bottle of yellowtail or $20 for a can of PRB?

Bookstores, pharmacies, liquor stores, coffee shops, hardware stores… etc.

Capitalism is efficient in a lot of ways but it also concentrated wealth in the hands of a few.

I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I’m not sure it makes one warm and fuzzy suggest that perhaps, once again, unfettered capitalism has gone a bit too far.

My comment goes way beyond baristas and is pointed at the workforce as a whole. My experience is in industrial manufacturing, power generation, and pipeline. I’ve see countless people willing to eat a shit sandwich and not speak up/out over working conditions, benefits, and wages. A contract gives a person a voice and gives both sides clear cut rules to follow. I don’t understand why people are against that.
I'm a member of the pipefitters union, my work environment is no different than it was at a non union shop. Labor laws and OSHA level the playing field with working conditions, the competitiveness of the field I'm in dictates that wherever I go I'll make good wages and have decent benefits. Union benefits are actually only so so, and the pension pan is a low payout ponzi scheme. Everyone should have everything you listed, it just doesn't take a union to get to that point anymore

If they don't like the conditions, they can work elsewhere. Nothing and nobody is compelling them to keep eating that sandwich. It's a choice.

I always thought I was responsible for my own happiness. Not my employer or the government.
then don’t join a union

How did you vote on prop 125?

Is the independent liquor store down the street charging you $100 for a bottle of yellowtail or $20 for a can of PRB?

Bookstores, pharmacies, liquor stores, coffee shops, hardware stores… etc.

Capitalism is efficient in a lot of ways but it also concentrated wealth in the hands of a few.

I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I’m not sure it makes one warm and fuzzy suggest that perhaps, once again, unfettered capitalism has gone a bit too far.
You don't think businesses will charge more for goods and services if they have to pay their employees more? How does that work?

You don't think businesses will charge more for goods and services if they have to pay their employees more? How does that work?
What if companies above a specific head count have to allocate shares to their employees?

50-100 (2%)
1000 (10%)
1000+ (20%)

Not sure what the selling/trading and vesting rules would be but there are examples of private and companies with similar structures that allow employees to participate in their companies success.

I don’t think minimum wage, actually is a solution to the problem for the exact reason you state.

Additionally might be time for some good ol TR trust busting.

Amazon is like 50x+ the size of Standard Oil when it was broken up…

It’s funny the reaction to unions. I’ve been a member of one for a quarter of a century. Some are great and some suck. Just like any segment of society, in any career field or walk of life.

I’ve seen unions do some great stuff for folks who were wrongfully terminated. I’ve seen shitheads get their jobs back because of managerial incompetence.

I’ve seen big raises come after prolonged fights. Seen arbitration, ULP lawsuits and so on.

I could care less if you love them or hate them. However, to lump them all together as bad is plain idiotic as hell.

I’ve paid a lot of money in over the years, and seeing two good friends made whole after they were railroaded makes it all worth it.

It’s funny the reaction to unions. I’ve been a member of one for a quarter of a century. Some are great and some suck. Just like any segment of society, in any career field or walk of life.

I’ve seen unions do some great stuff for folks who were wrongfully terminated. I’ve seen shitheads get their jobs back because of managerial incompetence.

I’ve seen big raises come after prolonged fights. Seen arbitration, ULP lawsuits and so on.

I could care less if you love them or hate them. However, to lump them all together as bad is plain idiotic as hell.

I’ve paid a lot of money in over the years, and seeing two good friends made whole after they were railroaded makes it all worth it.
My dad worked 30 years in the union, as stated, I am in the union currently. I'll never be anti union, I just don't see them as being necessary as they once were. I try to recruit new apprentices every chance I get, no where are you going to get the training you will get while going through a union apprenticeship, that they do very well.

I agree. Everyone has the choice to go work somewhere else but it’s not always that easy. We always like to think things are black and white but they very rarely are. You may have mentioned it earlier and I missed it but have you ever worked under a CBA?
I agree with JLS. Some unions are great, some are damn near worthless. I was fortunate enough to work in a good one.

No, but one hospital in the hospital system I worked at the nurses were union and had a CBA. It was a pain in the ass for the whole system. You couldn't flush a toilet without their permission and committee approval. It's no wonder they were a train wreck.
That doesn’t mean all CBAs are bad. It means they negotiated a shitty one. By both parties.

We have to use our CBA regularly because some managers can’t seem to follow it and don’t understand how to consistently and equitably levy discipline.

No, but one hospital in the hospital system I worked at the nurses were union and had a CBA. It was a pain in the ass for the whole system. You couldn't flush a toilet without their permission and committee approval. It's no wonder they were a train wreck.

I agree they can create some seemingly unnecessary rules. Everyone has ‘their job’ and you better not deviate from it or there will be hell to pay. Sometimes those rules are implemented for good reason though.

I’m not surprised you have worked under a contract though. I would say that at least 75% of the people I’ve talked to about how unions are worthless have never been a union member. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but sometimes you never know what you’re getting into until you experience it.

That doesn’t mean all CBAs are bad. It means they negotiated a shitty one. By both parties.

We have to use our CBA regularly because some managers can’t seem to follow it and don’t understand how to consistently and equitably levy discipline.
Isn’t it funny how things than literally be black and white and people still choose not to follow it? If I ran a company and had a manager constantly losing grievances, they’d be looking for a new job….

Early in my career I received a great piece of wisdom from a HR manager. He said “we have a union because we earned it “. I’ve long since moved on from that company but hold that wisdom close. I try real hard to treat folks fair, consistent and with respect. So far the folks I work with have not felt the need for union representation.

They will, and charge you $15 for a cup of coffee as all another goods and services go up in price by 30% and that $37 an hour you're paying the barista once again isn't enough to afford an apartment. I wish the world was as simple as the pipe dream you're living in.
Except for the simple fact the mom and pop shops hire cheap labor and break it off in their customers ass every chance they get with pricing.

If the mom and pop shops are so noble and working their own businesses, then why do they fight minimum wage increases?

Sounds like your world is a bigger pipe dream...but, by all means, carry on.

Not much of a BuckBucks drinker anymore as there are none in hundreds of miles and I make better.
But when I was getting treatments and needed a Venti Redeye or two early in the morning several times to get home I went to the drive thru @ odark and the shift would change to the daytime from opening one.
I noticed several of the decent looking women who worked there get into their cars to go home......their cars were full of their belongings
They had to keep the doors locked on those early shifts, due to the homeless.................
Doors on the shop locked up again after 5PM and drive thru service only after til 7am opening .

Bet those ladies went to their next job when they left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back