Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

#squirrelshape

Man, you were sitting on a gold mine! At this time of year, the bucks are chasing the does, and I don't mean deer. You had a female and 4 males in that tree. Your squirrel photo looks like you got one big boy and then either a small male or a female. Watch for the squirrel that is in the lead and being chased. Let her go. She will hide but the boys will either not hide or only hide for a few minutes before they are hot to get after the girl again. Shoot from the back to the front of the pack.

I did this one fine December day - with a .54 flintlock. Got'em all.

PS. What size shot are you using and how much penetration did you have on those that you cleaned? I'm a rifle guy, but it sound like you need heavier shot.
I am doe hunting this morning and I just had a whole “herd” of greys run up a tree in front of me. As soon as it quits raining, I am returning with the Marlin to try this “back to the front” technique.

Grey squirrel is a fine, fine table fare. Tho, not better than a plump domestic rabbit, easily much better than a wild rabbit.

They are fine substitute in any of the classic French recipes for braised rabbit - lapin à la moutarde being my own favorite. A little bit a country and culture together in one pot!

In days long past, they were a fun hawking quarry of mine, as well. Much more interesting to watch than rabbit flights, with the hawk and squirrel playing hide and seek through treetops.

10983694_1578423865728611_332423297_n.jpg10832299_420161124806653_824617187_n.jpg

You mean like this?
Ya. Seen that, great footage. Fun to watch every day, I saw some great flying and scurrying - front row seat - with the hawk winning some and losing others.

I bought a slingshot at one point. Someone told me that I could get the squirrels out of their leaf nest or hole by shooting marbles into it. They were right, it worked. I did it once and only once, felt like a great big _______, then tossed the slingshot.

Ya. Seen that, great footage. Fun to watch every day, I saw some great flying and scurrying - front row seat - with the hawk winning some and losing others.

I bought a slingshot at one point. Someone told me that I could get the squirrels out of their leaf nest or hole by shooting marbles into it. They were right, it worked. I did it once and only once, felt like a great big _______, then tossed the slingshot.
It's illegal here to disturb their nests while hunting.

And what's all this crap about shotguns and rifles? If you're hard core enough to rep the Ram in the squirrel woods, you need a stick and string!
No way, those things are dangerous. I will be be buying a Taurus judge as my "squirrel protection carry option".

I'm way more impressed that it appears you came back to the truck with a full quiver of arrows.
I have only ever lost one arrow shooting at squirrels. Mostly because I refuse to try and shoot them out of trees unless they're at eye level or lower. I broke that rule once... and lost an arrow!

I shot a rabbit with an arrow recently that immediately ran into a hole under my shop to die with my $20 arrow in it. Dang I felt bad about that one.

Back