Caribou Gear

#squirrelshape

DouglasR

Local works winding down for the year and I got some time off this week to go out and trounce around the old western hunting training grounds in search of squirrels and whitetail sign before the mtb club turns it into a dirt bike racetrack.
12/17, my first day out was a ruff day. My pace and my aim were off.
In 6.5 miles I missed 4 squirrels with a 20 gauge shotgun.
No small feat.
But it was still a good time.
Saw like 6 doe’s, 2 small bucks and 1 fat assed lumbering opossum that knew I was watching him but gave no f’s as he squeezed his fat ass between 2 big pieces of downed tree and up the hill.
After the thrill of getting to let the mossberg pump 4 times I decided to go wrap up everything I could at work for the year and set aside an entire day to get out early and get a few tree rats.
C61CAC83-7323-4A8F-909B-5034EC21BFD2.jpeg

I got up relatively early this morning and made it out to the woods approximately at first light.
It was an icy and foggy morning.
Kinda rad 🤷‍♂️
93EF4DD6-32E4-44AD-97BE-D0B192349311.jpeg56647AED-D9DA-4A9A-B456-0068DBA8C9C4.jpeg
Walked around the edge of the prairie until I saw a few squirrels running around in the woods, dove in and sat down on a fallen tree.
Messed up a couple stalks, sat until I started shivering, got up and started walking again.
Sun came out.
Nature was cool.
8737DF79-8EAD-40EF-87A8-1272CF31CAA7.jpeg83A97219-2E84-4205-A662-87000A0D774F.jpeg

Walked along the river bottom for a bit, found a couple spots that might be fun to sit for whitetails and climbed up onto the ridge.
Saw a couple squirrels, sat for a bit.
Had one tree’d and went back and forth with him for like 30 min.
I’d look at my phone to check ht, he’d show up on my side of the tree.
Grab the gun, he runs around to the other side. 🤦‍♂️

Decide to start walking again.
It happens...
A squirrel hunters dream...
5 fat fox’s in a slender, isolated tree with few escape routes.
7E38647B-4CF1-49C1-AA74-04F24E782441.jpeg

I took my position at the base of the tree and put my trustee diamondback 10x42’s to my eyes and spotted a bushy tail and exposed face.
Go time.
Put the bead on him, pulled the trigger, he fell, latched onto a limb and fell again to the ground.
I chased after him, he ran into a hollowed out log.
I kicked it, he ran out, I harvested him.
As I walked up to him another one poked its head up over the ravine. I go that one too.
94BCD8B5-9287-45D2-B231-BB3D61ED778C.jpeg

Took that sweet photo for the gram #stoneglacier loaded those 2 into a grocery sack and into my pack.
Before leaving, like any true man of the squirrel woods would do, I remembered there were 5 squirrel in that freaking tree and decided to give it a quick look before I took off and sure as heck there was a big bushy tail hanging right out in the open way up in the tree.
Aim, fire, it hits the ground and takes off running.
Little bit of a rodeo.
Gun went empty a couple times.
I was yelling at the squirrel.
“Hey! Hey! Stop!”
I harvested him.
Didn’t get a picture of #3 🤷‍♂️.

There you go posting skyline pics........

Squirrel hunting is so much fun. I hate to even talk about it, though.

Looks like a fantastic day, always nice to see a report from IL too. I might have to stop chasing these damn deer around and pick up the 17 HMR to do some real hunting soon. It's been a while. Too long, really.

Forgot my game sheers in the car so decided to clean them at home.
Next time I have to bring them with me so I can see if it’s easier to clean a squirrel before rigor mortis sets in.

Going in the crockpot in the morning to make the meat eater crescent rolls.
I should prob try to go #bowhunt a deer now, but that’s a lot of work.
4B553E8E-C4DB-40D3-98B9-9477A4AF2E5C.jpeg243D7EB5-5020-4C62-8445-49BB0001BCD3.jpeg

Forgive me for asking, because I’ve never had squirrel… But in the city they’re basically rodents. Are they better eating, living out in the wild?

Back