#squirrelshape

Hank Shaw had a recipe for Greek braised birds. I’m guessing squirrels would be an excellent substitute.

Forgive me for asking, because I’ve never had squirrel… But in the city they’re basically rodents. Are they better eating, living out in the wild?

Heck no. They taste just as good in the city. Get your air rifle zeroed!

Hint, keep your muzzle inside the window or door to minimize sound traveling.

Took that sweet photo for the gram #stoneglacier loaded those 2 into a grocery sack and into my pack.
Before leaving, like any true man of the squirrel woods would do, I remembered there were 5 squirrel in that freaking tree and decided to give it a quick look before I took off and sure as heck there was a big bushy tail hanging right out in the open way up in the tree.
Aim, fire, it hits the ground and takes off running.
Little bit of a rodeo.
Gun went empty a couple times.
I was yelling at the squirrel.
“Hey! Hey! Stop!”
I harvested him.
Didn’t get a picture of #3 🤷‍♂️.

Man, you were sitting on a gold mine! At this time of year, the bucks are chasing the does, and I don't mean deer. You had a female and 4 males in that tree. Your squirrel photo looks like you got one big boy and then either a small male or a female. Watch for the squirrel that is in the lead and being chased. Let her go. She will hide but the boys will either not hide or only hide for a few minutes before they are hot to get after the girl again. Shoot from the back to the front of the pack.

I did this one fine December day - with a .54 flintlock. Got'em all.

PS. What size shot are you using and how much penetration did you have on those that you cleaned? I'm a rifle guy, but it sound like you need heavier shot.

I use a 20 gauge with 6 shot before the leaves fall. After the leaves are gone, a 22. Salt water brine over night, batter with Cajun seasoning, and fried. My new favorite game bag for squirrels.

Sometimes I use my canvas-covered fly fishing creel. I get it wet to keep everything cool on warm days.

Definitely brine them. Grandma always soaked them overnight in buttermilk but who keeps buttermilk in there fridge these days?

Man, you were sitting on a gold mine! At this time of year, the bucks are chasing the does, and I don't mean deer. You had a female and 4 males in that tree. Your squirrel photo looks like you got one big boy and then either a small male or a female. Watch for the squirrel that is in the lead and being chased. Let her go. She will hide but the boys will either not hide or only hide for a few minutes before they are hot to get after the girl again. Shoot from the back to the front of the pack.

I did this one fine December day - with a .54 flintlock. Got'em all.

PS. What size shot are you using and how much penetration did you have on those that you cleaned? I'm a rifle guy, but it sound like you need heavier shot.
I’m using Kent upland fasteel #5’s.
The ones I missed were at 30ish yards so maybe that’s too far for the shotgun?
I’m using the full choke, my guns only got a 22” barrel so maybe that has some affect on the range 🤷‍♂️

I’m using Kent upland fasteel #5’s.
The ones I missed were at 30ish yards so maybe that’s too far for the shotgun?
I’m using the full choke, my guns only got a 22” barrel so maybe that has some affect on the range 🤷‍♂️
It is definitely the shotgun. I recommend a nice 20 gauge over-under. Sooner than later. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back