Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spring Bears With Hounds Proposed

I think I have run across Bowhunter65 west of Kalispell in Browns Meadow two years ago and he/son are good guys. Hopefully this bill will open up either a pursuit/chase or harvest season in select districts.
Thank you and I remember our conversation really well, that was the day all the wolves hit the road. That pack is huge.

Attachments

• C0954DB3-C765-468B-82CA-38BDA06193FD.jpeg
    C0954DB3-C765-468B-82CA-38BDA06193FD.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 6
Running the season through July 31st seems excessive. Maybe the heat will prevent a lot of people from running their dogs that late in the season, but if not I can see a lot of conflict. There's a lot of people in the mountains in the summer.

To us as houndsmen here is what it is all about, the hound, this was the best hound I had in my lifetime Trigger lived 16 1/2 years, like a brother to me.
That is awesome, Good looking bluetick. Yes, that was the spot with all the wolf tracks, pretty crazy. Here is my Leopard Hound Henry that was gone in his prime at almost 5 years old. I got so attached to him, and he loved to hunt and really wanted to please. I will read the proposal and will do some calling to the Representatives this week. Thanks for the leg work on this. Preston

Attachments

• 347874BC-DDF7-4881-BBAF-F78CE74C6D2E.jpeg
    347874BC-DDF7-4881-BBAF-F78CE74C6D2E.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 2
It’s an interesting discussion, but unless hound hunting is illegal within the current grizzly distribution I’m still a hard no on this. Not to mention the potential for hounds screwing up hunting for spot and stalk hunters.

Again, I would absolutely support Idaho keeping their hound season and baiting if it was questioned, but I don’t want to see it in Montana.

You have never hunted with hounds so before you make a statement like this maybe just may you should do some homework, because you are so far off base you are getting picked off, you just don’t know what you are talking about, fact.
I see. So hounds that run down cats and bears don't get injured? Perhaps you need to read the posts on here from those who do it. I guess you skipped the one about the houndsman preaching how his dogs know before loading up that the poop they just had may be their last. He obviously wasn't referring to a possible motor vehicle accident on the way. The thrill of conflict or potential conflict is what drives this sport. Not hard to see why that is problematic for the future of hunting in general.

Last edited:
It’s an interesting discussion, but unless hound hunting is illegal within the current grizzly distribution I’m still a hard no on this. Not to mention the potential for hounds screwing up hunting for spot and stalk hunters.

Again, I would absolutely support Idaho keeping their hound season and baiting if it was questioned, but I don’t want to see it in Montana.
A bunch of howling dogs tearing through the woods when everything wild is trying to get a new crop of birds and animals on their feet/wings can only have a detrimental effect. I mean, is it too much to ask to let nature alone for a couple of months out of the year? It sickens me to hear this arguement boiling down to our enjoyment or dogs enjoyment. Stewardship be damned. Go chase lions in the dead of winter if you must. Not much else will be bothered. I still think it's borderline unethical but really the only way they can be harvested so there's a good excuse.

Wrong!!!!
Right...because outfitters that run hounds won't be charging people to hunt bears with hounds if this bill passes.

Can't BS your way around that fact.

I really don't care that much one way or the other...may as well ruin bear hunting, everything else in Montana is already there.

Sad what has happened to Montana...

Last edited:
Hey OntarioHunter you never did answer my question. About if you had ever hunted bear or cat behind hounds

To us as houndsmen here is what it is all about, the hound, this was the best hound I had in my lifetime Trigger lived 16 1/2 years, like a brother to me.
Before reading your comments I was totally against the idea of a spring hound hunt, now you got me wondering if I'm wrong. I'm selfish I love spring hunting by myself

I see. So hounds that run down cats and bears don't get injured? Perhaps you need to read the posts on here from those who do it. I guess you skipped the one about the houndsman preaching how his dogs know before loading up that the poop they just had may be their last. He obviously wasn't referring to a possible motor vehicle accident on the way. The thrill of conflict or potential conflict is what drives this sport. Not hard to see why that is problematic for the future of hunting in general.
Have you ever been hunting with hounds, people from the Humane society sound like you and obviously you like to hunt. So why give somebody a hard time the chooses to hunt big game with Hounds we are a stron management tool when it comes to those animals.

They are anti-everything when it comes to all hunting and trapping.I see you talk about bird dogs what’s the chances of one of them getting hurt, probably not much of a chance but they’re not bred to do what I hound is bred to do hunt, trail and tree. So if you don’t like it don’t do it but don’t give everybody a hard time that does like it . Never know somebody might not like your bird hunting with dogs.
So personally I don’t care what you think all I am is A 55-year-old third generation houndsmen that likes to run my dogs and have fun with my family and friends, Why deny a person of that.

Have you ever been hunting with hounds, people from the Humane society sound like you and obviously you like to hunt. So why give somebody a hard time the chooses to hunt big game with Hounds we are a stron management tool when it comes to those animals.

They are anti-everything when it comes to all hunting and trapping.I see you talk about bird dogs what’s the chances of one of them getting hurt probably been out much but they’re not bred to do what I found us hunt trail and tree. So if you don’t like it don’t do it but don’t give everybody shit that does like it . Never know somebody might not like your bird hunting with dogs.
So personally I don’t care what you think all I am is A 55-year-old third generation houndsmen but likes to run my dogs and have fun with my family and friends, I deny a person of that.
Well said!!! I do not like the anti-hunting feelings I feel coming from Ontariohunter, on a fair chase way of hunting. And something that is already hard to get non-hunters to understand. But truth be told I know non-hunters that are more polite and understanding than OntarioHunter is. By the way Ontario Hunter you still havnt answered my plain straight forward question.

Right...because outfitters that run hounds won't be charging people to hunt bears with hounds if this bill passes.

Can't BS your way around that fact.

I really don't care that much one way or the other...may as well ruin bear hunting, everything else in Montana is already there.

Sad what has happened to
Even with letting 99 percent of said bears and lions go? Your words, not mine. mtmuley
The guys I hunt with harvest very little, so I didn’t stutter when I said 99%, treed and freed in the houndsmens world, can you can that about spot & stalk, which I enjoy also setting up my spotting scope with my 16-year-old son. So look it, obvious you don’t like this idea but it’s also obvious that there are guys that are Houndsman also really really good deer and elk owners. Read the bill, if you don’t like that is your god given right. All the data to get this started was from good science through predator management with Idaho. Look at the chart where they used hounds and spot & stalk only. We want to mirror that. But I can guys like yourself don’t want more opportunities I guess, you like having the whole pie and I will be Damned if I going to share attitude. While I am with the attitude why pit hunters against hunts and like change a little bit every once and while. Nothing against you personally, my opinion as a whole looking at the hunting communities as a whole.

The guys I hunt with harvest very little, so I didn’t stutter when I said 99%, treed and freed in the houndsmens world, can you can that about spot & stalk, which I enjoy also setting up my spotting scope with my 16-year-old son. So look it, obvious you don’t like this idea but it’s also obvious that there are guys that are Houndsman also really really good deer and elk owners. Read the bill, if you don’t like that is your god given right. All the data to get this started was from good science through predator management with Idaho. Look at the chart where they used hounds and spot & stalk only. We want to mirror that. But I can guys like yourself don’t want more opportunities I guess, you like having the whole pie and I will be Damned if I going to share attitude. While I am with the attitude why pit hunters against hunts and like change a little bit every once and while. Nothing against you personally, my opinion as a whole looking at the hunting communities as a whole.
You claimed being a strong management tool, yet freeing 99 percent of game. Help me understand that. mtmuley

I don't live there, and don't care really one way or another on this. That's for Montanans to decided. That said, I wouldn't go hanging your hat on the "treed and freed" argument. It CAN be advantageous, but I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to run bears ad nauseum without harvesting and ending your hunt. That just doesn't sit right.

You claimed being a strong management tool, yet freeing 99 percent of game. Help me understand that. mtmuley
Strong management doesn’t include shooting everything that you tree or your shooting everything spotting & stalking. So you are the one that It’s fixating on a number that’s 99% who gives a shit, I’m telling you the guys i hunt with harvest a very little number of animals that we tree. Pick a number, this will be a tool under the Montana FWP commission and then The logistics of the hunt will be set. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Strong management doesn’t include shooting everything that you tree or your spot & stalk so you are the one that It’s fixating on a number that’s 99% who gives a shit I’m telling you the guys a hunt with harvest a very little number of animals that we tree. Pick a number, this will be a tool under the Montana FWP commission and then The logistics of the hunt will be set. Have a good day.
Hit a nerve I guess. You have a nice day also. I'm against it. mtmuley

Strong management doesn’t include shooting everything that you tree or your spot & stalk so you are the one that It’s fixating on a number that’s 99% who gives a shit I’m telling you the guys a hunt with harvest a very little number of animals that we tree. Pick a number, this will be a tool under the Montana FWP commission and then The logistics of the hunt will be set. Have a good day.
I think you're missing something here. I know I'm not the only one that really considers it "management" to tree 100 bears and only shoot one of them. I think hound hunting is a great tool. I'm not comfortable with guys running 99 bears before they shoot one.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back