Caribou Gear Tarp

Spiral Fluting

There will always be debates about fluting affecting barrels. I’ve had straight and spiral fluted barrels and both have shot very well.
I personally tested a barrel on my 6.5SAUM. I worked up a load and shot approximately 60-80 rounds during break in. Pulled the barrel and sent it in to have it spiral fluted. Reinstalled and went to the range. Rifle was still hitting same POI and groups were the same if not smaller then.
Kampfeld custom is who I use for all fluting.
I recall from the distant past [before the barrel makers offered Remington contours] that some smiths would not work on a barrel after it had been stress relieved. They believed [and maybe still do] that any working on it changed the barrel by adding new stress.

I was wanting a certain magnum sporter barrel, but didn't care for the way it was at the breech end so I wanted it turned to approximate the Remington contour. I just had someone else do it before I sent it off.

Here is an interesting site.

http://twistedbarrel.com/

2 of my rifles have straight and 1 bolt has spiral. That little bit of spiral is what it takes for the “Move”.
And with that, scores of wives just collectively groaned at what they were going to be subjected to for 2021...

I recall from the distant past [before the barrel makers offered Remington contours] that some smiths would not work on a barrel after it had been stress relieved. They believed [and maybe still do] that any working on it changed the barrel by adding new stress.

I was wanting a certain magnum sporter barrel, but didn't care for the way it was at the breech end so I wanted it turned to approximate the Remington contour. I just had someone else do it before I sent it off.

Here is an interesting site.

http://twistedbarrel.com/
I’ve read/heard that debate about recontouring barrels also.
Just curious. How did your recontoured barrel shoot?

Just a random question for you guys who maybe have more experience with fluted barrels. Straight fluting seems intuitive to me. If done correctly and consistently, it's all running the same direction the bullet travels and there you go. I've never owned a rifle with spiral fluting, nut it seems to me that it could cause the barrel to do some funny things when fired. Thinking of how the barrel would whip along that spiral strikes me as potentially problematic, especially as the barrel heats up. I don't know how that could be very consistent.

However, at the range I do see guess ringing gong a long way off with a fluted barrel, so there must be some way to deal with it. Im not an engineer.
Not sure if anyone actually answered your question though the 2 inch comment comes close :p Not answering from a gunsmith or gun expert perspective but from a mathematical perspective spiraled fluting will increase the amount of area that is fluted which will further increase the area of exposed metal, which in turn theoretically would increase the cooling ability of the barrel.

Good thread that has made me laugh. I do suppose the tighter the fluting the more inches are added, but again I figure there is a point of diminishing returns. Just saying.

My two cents that comes second hand from the folks building my new gun: no affect on cold bore accuracy, just might affect it if at the range and running very hot. Someone mentioned fluting as being mostly cosmetic, which cannot be farther from the truth. You save quite a bit of weight with fluting, and as raider rich mentions above spiral fluting saves far more than with straight. I prefer the aesthetics of straight fluting but went with spiral on my recent build for the weight savings.

mostly cosmetic, which cannot be farther from the truth. You save quite a bit of weight with fluting
This completely depends on the original barrel contour, length of barrel and depth of flute. Most 24” sporter contours the weight savings is minuscule. To save quite a bit of weight is a over statement in all but the most aggressive fluting.

I had a 26” Bartlien #3 fluted and it saved about a ounce and half. Mostly cosmetic is truer than quite a bit of weight.

This completely depends on the original barrel contour, length of barrel and depth of flute. Most 24” sporter contours the weight savings is minuscule. To save quite a bit of weight is a over statement in all but the most aggressive fluting.

I had a 26” Bartlien #3 fluted and it saved about a ounce and half. Mostly cosmetic is truer than quite a bit of weight.
Just curious who fluted it? I had my 26” #4 Brux straight fluted on my last build and weighted it before and after. Lost 7.8oz

Just curious who fluted it? I had my 26” #4 Brux straight fluted on my last build and weighted it before and after. Lost 7.8oz
The guys at bugholes did it as part of the order. We calculated the weight of all the parts from what’s posted. The gun came in almost 2 ounces less than what we had planned. The only thing we couldn’t calculate was the fluting and the skim bedding. It could of been more than 1 1/2 ounces if the bedding was lighter than I gave it credit for.

Either way the difference is minuscule on a 8lb rifle.

I’m sure it depends on the degree of fluting and a lot of other factors as mentioned. The folks doing mine didn’t give me an exact weight difference but said it was substantial and I have no reason not to believe them. It’s at least enough savings to have the final rifle weight under 6 lbs

Operate 2 Lilja straight fluted platforms. Some info....

Would the best spiral fluting be to thread the whole barrel from muzzle to breech? What is the minimum required/desired thickness of a barrel wall at its thinnest point?

Got my first spiral fluted rifle this year. Was smacking the 14" gong at 700 yards with a 6 inch group last week with factory ammo. I am happy

I’m a straight flute dude but would make an exception for your Seekins. Badazz.

Straight fluting here on a 257 AccuMark. Heaviest rifle I own now and I’d hate to pack it around without the fluting.
She does shoot good with the #3 barrel.

Back