Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spiral Fluting

Brian in Montana

Just a random question for you guys who maybe have more experience with fluted barrels. Straight fluting seems intuitive to me. If done correctly and consistently, it's all running the same direction the bullet travels and there you go. I've never owned a rifle with spiral fluting, nut it seems to me that it could cause the barrel to do some funny things when fired. Thinking of how the barrel would whip along that spiral strikes me as potentially problematic, especially as the barrel heats up. I don't know how that could be very consistent.

However, at the range I do see guess ringing gong a long way off with a fluted barrel, so there must be some way to deal with it. Im not an engineer.

There will always be debates about fluting affecting barrels. I’ve had straight and spiral fluted barrels and both have shot very well.
I personally tested a barrel on my 6.5SAUM. I worked up a load and shot approximately 60-80 rounds during break in. Pulled the barrel and sent it in to have it spiral fluted. Reinstalled and went to the range. Rifle was still hitting same POI and groups were the same if not smaller then.
Kampfeld custom is who I use for all fluting.

I think it looks cool, but I'm not buying a Steve Rinella special.

PAC-NOR makes a dual spiral which has both a left hand and right hand spiral. It makes a cool X pattern. They also do this as a service.

I'm thinking of having my .358 Norma done.

Have a 300WM with straight and a .17HMR with spiral ... weren’t necessarily looking for it when I bought either, just got decent deals on the calibers I wanted... and unfortunately the additional benefits didn’t come with either 😖

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back