Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Speed Kills

So far I’ve tried RL23, IMR 4350, H4831sc and N540. Worked up to a case full of RL23 and got to 3050fps with no pressure but terrible grouping. H4831sc was way too slow. Worked up IMR 4350 to 53.5gr and hit pressure with 3025fps and 1 MOA. For this hunting season I settled on N540, which is giving me the 2975fps and 1/2 MOA.

I did recently find some RL16, H4350 and N550. Might try that after hunting season.
I think you'll find that the H4350 and R16 will have real similar burn rates to the IMR 4350. Like @JLS suggested, I think Varget will end up being your huckleberry.

I think you'll find that the H4350 and R16 will have real similar burn rates to the IMR 4350. Like @JLS suggested, I think Varget will end up being your huckleberry.
Hmm, I was thinking Varget would be too fast but I’ve never used it before. Any ideas on how it compares to N540? I’m only using 48 grains of that and I hit pressure at 49. I was thinking that was a little too fast.

I found this video interesting. I was surprised they made the bullets from round stock.

I could sit there and watch that lathe make those bullets all day - it’s almost hypnotizing.

Hmm, I was thinking Varget would be too fast but I’ve never used it before. Any ideas on how it compares to N540? I’m only using 48 grains of that and I hit pressure at 49. I was thinking that was a little too fast.
Standard primer or magnum? I hit pressure pretty quick with my 6.5 CM with a CCI250. Better results with a 200.

Standard primer or magnum? I hit pressure pretty quick with my 6.5 CM with a CCI250. Better results with a 200.
Magnum, which I use for just about everything. Maybe I'll go back and check with 200s.

While I would like to have the extra velocity, if the ballistics work out well I might just stick with it the way it is.

It's kind of interesting that Wetherby's listed specs for Hammers seem pretty in line with conventional bullets and traditional load numbers. Sort of slightly contrary to direction provided by Hammer, that they can go faster for free........ just watch for pressure signs. My guess is that a lot of "super fast" loads that folks are running, are way way way over pressure?

Weatherby factory ammo might be loaded more conservatively to function safely in a number of different rifles🤷‍♂️

Any truth that Cooper is using Hammers in their accuracy testing?

It's kind of interesting that Wetherby's listed specs for Hammers seem pretty in line with conventional bullets and traditional load numbers. Sort of slightly contrary to direction provided by Hammer, that they can go faster for free........ just watch for pressure signs. My guess is that a lot of "super fast" loads that folks are running, are way way way over pressure?
I've never known anyone to run way way way over pressure. Brass, receivers, fingers and eye balls get expensive

I need to order more, just up in the air on which bullet I want. This would be for my dad’s ‘06 he passed down.

Thinking either a 137 HH with Varget or 6.5 Staball, or the 155 HH and Varget.

It’s a M70 Carbine Featherweight from the early 80’s. Weighs all of 6.5 pds with scope, and that’s with a wood stock. Kicks like a mule, but great to carry.

Anybody have any experience with a short barreled ‘06 and Hammers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back