Special reqs for elk bow?

CJnGA

Last year, I dug out my dad's old Browning Mag Reflex bow (30+ years old, I'm guessing) and started hunting with it locally for whitetail.

I'm thinking that I would like to upgrade to something newer next year and would like to make sure I'm covered for my end-goal -- hunting elk and muleys with a bow. Do I need to look for anything specific when looking for an elk bow that might not be 'standard' on a bow primarily used for whitetail? I will need a long draw (31.5"), so my market availability is already somewhat limited, so might as well tack on any additional requirements while I'm at it.

Thanks,
CJ

In order to kill elk it has to be a Mathews. just kidding.

Honestly, any bow capable of killing whitetails will kill muleys and elk. Find one that you like the way it draws and shoots. It will be a completely different experience than your old browning. Find a pro shop and shoot several top tier brands. Then you can decide whether to buy new or take a good discount on a used bow.

Good luck!

PA requires 35lb draw weight for deer, 45 for elk.
I think there is broadhead size requirements too, but not sure what they are off the top of my head.

Depends on your state, so look at those regs. Beyond that there may be restrictions on your sight and other accessories that you'll need to research before hunting.

Most states have a poundage requirement for bows and a max percentage let off

If I remember right their were regs about expandable broadheads many states did not allow their use not sure if that still applies

Just check the regs for whatever state(s) you plan on hunting. The answers are there; poundage, Broadhead type/size, nock and/or sight electronics restrictions, etc… lots of great people and advice here but learn to get official answers from the state in question. LEOs tend not to take “ I heard it on the internet” well when writing a citation. Not being an a$$ here, just suggesting 😉

Just check the regs for whatever state(s) you plan on hunting. The answers are there; poundage, Broadhead type/size, nock and/or sight electronics restrictions, etc… lots of great people and advice here but learn to get official answers from the state in question. LEOs tend not to take “ I heard it on the internet” well when writing a citation. Not being an a$$ here, just suggesting 😉

Definitely agree on the legalities. I was asking here more for functionality of the bow - if there was some specific spec that was needed to be able to hunt/kill elk. I couldn't think of anything myself, but I'm also a newbie with bows, so wanted to check with the peanut gallery in case there was a "Oh btw, whitetail bows typically don't have this style of pulley, but you'll want it for elk because it does ______."

Thanks for the intel, folks. Hopefully I can stumble onto some end-of-season sales next spring and get myself set up.

Definitely agree on the legalities. I was asking here more for functionality of the bow - if there was some specific spec that was needed to be able to hunt/kill elk. I couldn't think of anything myself, but I'm also a newbie with bows, so wanted to check with the peanut gallery in case there was a "Oh btw, whitetail bows typically don't have this style of pulley, but you'll want it for elk because it does ______."

Thanks for the intel, folks. Hopefully I can stumble onto some end-of-season sales next spring and get myself set up.

Got ya! Just about anything that you will find out on today's market of mid-priced to (sky's the limit) bows will cover you from deer to elk functionality wise if you can draw/hold/shoot 50# plus. Take a look at the shops as well for consignment pieces. Our local shop gives everything on consignment a VERY thorough lookover before they will place it in their rack, their reputation depends on it as well. Sometime you can stumble into something already set up pretty sweet that someone either consigned or traded in. There are a lot of folks that ALWAYS have to have the net shiny object and get a new bow every couple of years. A thought anyway, good luck!

Any bow capable of a pass-through on deer will suitably kill an elk. The most important things listed above are the type of broadhead and the letoff% needed to remain legal in the eyes of the particular state. I had a fire drill last season trying to adjust my letoff% at the last minute after realizing I was too high for Colorado. Usually 80% is OK but 85% is too high some places.

simple simplicity... Fewer gadgets, if putting on a gadget fewer parts/pieces on said gadget. Anything that is attached can and will come un-attached, anything with 5 parts will break one part/week during a 5 week hunt. 6 part gadgets will break 2/week during a 3 week hunt etc.

Keep it lite weight and simple with as few moving parts as humanly possible while still allowing you to hit and elk size target at your maximum range, and you may want to adjust what you think that is back a bit also. Lots of nimrods out there with 120 yard pins these days.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back