Sow with Cubs legal?

jvanhoy

Checked my camera today and had a bunch of bear pics. Here in VA you can’t kill a sow with Cubs. I’m thinking these are last years that are still with her and she would be legal. Pretty sure by October the Cubs would be border line 100lbs and legal. Not that I would shoot one of them but she is pretty big for a sow.
0D9F28D7-97BD-497E-AE9B-41E28558CD1D.png
Really hope this big boy shows up.
812F73C7-2C1B-417F-8988-801ACCA1AF1E.jpeg
Only one decent buck.
46BCF6DB-D849-4708-A944-7ECA6484A312.jpeg
So do you think it would be legal/ethical to take the Sow if those 2 bigger Cubs are still with her come season?

Black bears breed every other year. Of course they aren’t all on the same schedule 🤣.those Cubs appear to be last year’s which means she would have been in heat to in June and should be bread .that means she will have Cubs in February which means those Cubs are not going to den with her anymore.

While I agree they appear to be last years they may be staying with her till next spring? Not sure, I’ve seen two year olds come out of den sites. Not sure what the definition of a cub would be other than dependent on the sow. Grizz drive off their young, seen that several times this summer, then they come hang around the lodge. She may yet kick them to the curb.
good looking bear

Last edited:
So here is how it reads. I’m thinking it just means Sows with this years Cubs.
0F04E97C-5DB8-4134-B2EC-5A54E1776800.png

That's a darn good question that I've never thought about. I think most cubs stay with mamma two seasons. I had the same situation happen to me several seasons ago. Big bear came up the ridge and I was about to shoot. Saw another bear coming and then another. All three were probably legal. I passed or should I say hesitated to long to shoot.
I saw a real dandy hanging cams in June. Legit 400-500 lbs.

Edit: to add to that I just realized that code section is pretty vague it seems. I wouldn't feel comfy if still with mama (because of the code section) but those bears would no doubt survive without mamma at this point.

I may well be wrong but I read that statute as saying the cub must be at least 100 lbs live weight to shoot one. That sow has cubs at her side, whether they are last years or not they are still at her side.
I agree with p_ham, call the GW or local wildlife office to make sure.
Nice bear though .

If they are still with her I would leave her alone. You don't need a Sow that bad.
Yea I’ll send them a email. I definitely don’t need a sow that bad but they definitely need managed. Virginia’s bear population is getting out of hand. That farm is 110 acres and had pictures of at least 7 different bears. There’s other places here close that’s way worse.

Yea I’ll send them a email. I definitely don’t need a sow that bad but they definitely need managed. Virginia’s bear population is getting out of hand. That farm is 110 acres and had pictures of at least 7 different bears. There’s other places here close that’s way worse.
I couldn't agree more on that one. I'm to the point of if it's legal it's down when it comes to bears. Killing our fawn population.

Last edited:
I guess Virginia would be a lot different in managing bears that say Utah where I'm from.

I guess Virginia would be a lot different in managing bears that say Utah where I'm from.
Our bear population has absolutely exploded here in VA the last ten years or so. The State has been relaxing some of the regulations to take more but they are still behind in the game. I would love to see them open a spring season but it's doubtful or at least expand the fall season to include more days.

Contact your wildlife agency.
With those pics, call and email to the warden/biologist. Get an email response. I follow your line of thought and by the basic regs, those two spill over that weight, imo.

Completely CYA. It's a great question!

I recall 4+ years back at a HT spring bear hunt, I watched a draw and a nice black black meandered to the stream. I scoped and watched prepping for the shot though giving a bit of time, as it was available. The bear began taking frequent looks back where she came from... I knew. Pulled from the scope and saw a black furball tumbling down towards her. Put the gun down and pulled the phone and picked up some fun video.

Your local fwp guy may tell you the population in yur area warrents a little more agressive hunting practices if asked. Then you will have peace of mind!?

Your local fwp guy may tell you the population in yur area warrents a little more agressive hunting practices if asked. Then you will have peace of mind!?
No offense meant but you gotta know these VA wardens😂 They would write their momma a ticket if she caught a crappie 1/2" short and creeled. I'd be afraid to pull the trigger on this case honestly the more I think about it. And trying to guess if a bear is legal by the 100lb live weight 75lb dressed weight would be tough to do for me at any distance.

There's not a chance in hell I'm shooting a sow with cubs or a female with kittens that are 2 years old. Wait for that big yogi to come back.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back