Sow with Cubs legal?

And keep in mind that lots of people are terrible at guessing bear weights. Not sure what your experience is. I worked at the Great Dismal Swamp Wildlife Refuge and they had a cub in the freezer as part of an investigation. You could hold the thing with one hand and the hunter swore he thought it was 100lbs when he shot it.

And keep in mind that lots of people are terrible at guessing bear weights. Not sure what your experience is. I worked at the Great Dismal Swamp Wildlife Refuge and they had a cub in the freezer as part of an investigation. You could hold the thing with one hand and the hunter swore he thought it was 100lbs when he shot it.
That was my next observation the average adult sow in VA goes maybe 150lbs. A 200-250lb sow would be a really big VA sow. I'm guessing those cubs won't go 100lbs. @jvanhoy

You really need to check with your state wildlife office as it differs with each state. In Wyoming, you can not harvest a sow with cubs and after so many sows are killed, the season is closed automatically for everyone in that bear hunt area. Wyoming also requires you to check every day before hunting bear to verify season is still open.

In regards to cubs, I do not know Wyoming law on that without looking it up but I would never shoot a cub anyways.

That was my next observation the average adult sow in VA goes maybe 150lbs. A 200-250lb sow would be a really big VA sow. I'm guessing those cubs won't go 100lbs. @jvanhoy
Yea I have no interest in shooting a borderline 100lb bear for sure. I’ll see what they reply on if there’s a difference in sows with Cubs or yearlings.

Yea I have no interest in shooting a borderline 100lb bear for sure. I’ll see what they reply on if there’s a difference in sows with Cubs or yearlings.
Interested in hearing what they say. I suppose it will mirror above which makes sense. A friend of mine shot his first bear several years ago. Thought he had shot a 150-200lb bear. It dressed at 87lbs and was a boar that momma had probably ran off that fall . They are so hard to judge especially in the East with the thick vegetation and sometimes quick shoot/don't shoot scenarios. They always have ground shrinkage for sure. Won't be long my friend going to pull some cards this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back