Southern California hunting

Yogithebear

Hunting D16 deer, unfortunately did not get out at all during bow season and have only been out twice in general. Hunting national forest, did minimal scouting but saw a little sign. Saw deer (and turkey!) while going to/from where I’m hunting but on private land. No deer and no sign lately. I do have about three days free to get out before the close, though I’m kinda looking for quail at the same time. Anyone having any luck in socal?

Sorry, I saw this too late. I had tags for D16 too. I'd of gone with you, but our house move killed all efforts to go. I did a fair amount of desktop and ground scouting. Were you focusing on a particular part of the unit? I have many specific places marked of OnX, but did not get to but a few. I did not see any animals, but the places look promising.

I did manage to find quail in a few places but not in D16 area. Frazier park, and the Scodie mountains held some birds. PM me and maybe we can get a day of quail in. Do you have a dog? The first snow just happened, and I missed that sadly. It really pushes the quail to the border areas from the high country.

I'm located in N. Orange county.

Last edited:
I've got an A22, been hunting Palomar. The first half the season there were does everywhere (thankfully A22 is either sex!), but I couldn't quite get within recurve range. The couple of times I've went back since the break for D16, there isn't a deer to be seen. This is my first year hunting this area, but I'm thinking a key to success may be being the first one in there before the pressure kicks up! Good job finding turkeys in SD, especially if on public. I've been trying that a couple of years now, and the only birds I've seen on public were standing in the yard of a USFS fire station :rolleyes:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back