Southern California advice

Tim433

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've hunted deer...like 20 years or so. Dad and I went a few times up to D14 in the San Bernardino natl. forest and never found the deer during season. I've been doing a LOT of research online, browsing southern California hunting forums and can find little info in the hunt zones around here. I know D16(San Diego) always produces young bucks. I live in the D15 area and can pick up a D15 tag that is also good in D11 and D13. I'm more than sure I'll be sticking to 15 since I can get to hunt able public land in 20 minutes, but I was curious if anyone may have some advice they are willing to share on the other zones around here. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg
Just so happens I might know a guy or be a guy who happend to kill a fair share of bucks in the one five

image.jpg
And given how I left that communist state five years ago I might be one to just give out a honey hole or two. Any burns up there lately? Pm me and I will tell you where to start.

Last edited:
Wow, those are some excellent bucks.

I just moved to the communist state from a hunting wonderland-Montana. Furthering my education has certainly come at some cost to my hunting opportunities.

I spent the opening weekend of archery up in D14 but was only able to turn up one deer in two days I had thought looking for water would be the best plan but there must be some seeps that I am yet unaware of their location. I had hoped to hunt in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, which is why I bought the D14 tag. I did not hear about the Fish Lake fire closure until a week before the season, so all my digital scouting efforts went out the window. I was hoping to hunt high and remote but I have not found an alternative place yet.

As Quack mentioned, my new strategy is to focus on more recent burns where the grass has come in better. The terrain down here is quite different than what I am used to and I am facing a steep learning curve.

I hunted D14 as a kid with my Dad. A lot more "flats" compared to D15. I only use quotations because even the flat stuff we hunted there wasn't very flat, but it wasn't too steep either.

On a D15 note, I came across a rather large, I believe, doe a few weeks ago, but no bucks yet. Hoping I can find a good spot that's not too difficult to access and find a couple of shooters for Dad and I.

I used to live in Santa Barbara county. We were fortunate to do most of our deer and pig hunting on private land, as the public there is pretty rough, but I can point you in a few directions up that way in the Los Padres if you want.

There are plenty of deer in those zones, (or at least there were before the drought). The difficulty is hunting those zones. The habitat is loud and steep and tough to navigate. California plans their season dates to minimize success (Season dates avoid the rut) and thereby maximize hunter opportunity.

The answer is to build your points and hunt a zone that is more worthwhile and enjoyable to hunt. For me at least the hunt is less about killing an animal and more about getting me into the out doors. D15 isn't worth being in, at least not compared the incredible beauty of the Sierras and parts North.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back