Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Southeast Montana, Late to the party 🎉

Mikecole

Greetings fellow Hunters!

I recently moved from Montana to Utah but have the advantage of trying to fill my general deer tags at the end of November with taking some time off from work for a 4 day hunt. Last year was my first year making it east in MT in search of some deer and we were lucky enough to fill all (4) tags that we had. We focused mainly towards Miles City. This year is a little different, (2) tags to fill and my goal is to help put my Fiance’s First deer on the ground. I have no doubt we will get an opportunity to do so but I really wanted to try and focus close to the WY border and possibly attempt at a Whitetail instead of a Mule Deer... but I’m not picky lol.

I’ve done a lot of research in regards to a few areas but I was wondering if someone could share their experiences in Sountheast Montana at the peak of the rut (south Broadas). Good and bad! Hike the ridges? Hunt the burns? Hills above creek drainages and agriculture? Anything from experience definitely helps. Planning on it being cold and we are not shy to put on some miles every day!

Thanks in advance guys!FB2CEFF5-3D4A-4350-B868-40717795CF71.jpeg61BC8649-D840-47FB-A3D2-61DFFA4551B8.jpeg6DBE02B4-45ED-448F-8C9A-178208549010.jpegB6A095B2-D032-4771-91B9-B861BA7C8708.jpeg

Use the search function up in the top right of this page and put in phrases like “Custer National Forest” and “Deer hunting southeast Montana,” get comfortable, and start reading. Probably the most discussed topic on this forum. Good luck man.

All I can say is get ready for some major taxidermy bills. Few hunters and superb age class make it a quality experience worth every penny of the tag fee.
Don’t shoot the first 180” deer you see

As
Much appreciated. That is the plan next year but definitely need to take advantage of my resident tags while I can!
stated in your original post, you recently moved to Utah. You do not meet the criteria to hunt as a Montana resident. You lost the right to a resident tag as soon as your primary residence changed states.

As

stated in your original post, you recently moved to Utah. You do not meet the criteria to hunt as a Montana resident. You lost the right to a resident tag as soon as your primary residence changed states.
Not the way I read the regulation...

Back