Southeast Montana, Late to the party 🎉

Thanks fellas. It’s my understanding that if you are a current resident at the time of purchasing the tags then they are valid as resident tags. I am going to reach out to FWP just to be safe now that it has me questioning it even a little bit but I’ll keep you posted on what I find out. Better to be safe than sorry that’s for sure lol

If you are willing to hike you should have no problem filling your tag on bucks like you posted. Two and half year old three and four point are not hard of find if you put in a bit of effort. Four years old and more type bucks are getting tough to find. Expect lots of company south of Broadus.

If you are willing to hike you should have no problem filling your tag on bucks like you posted. Two and half year old three and four point are not hard of find if you put in a bit of effort. Four years old and more type bucks are getting tough to find. Expect lots of company south of Broadus.
Thanks for the input! This year will be more of a freezer filler for sure. That is definitely what I have heard in terms of bigger deer. Seems like they are adapting to the pressure and have found ways to hold up on private pretty well after talking to a couple locals out of the Broadas area. They did give me pretty good insight on a couple honey holes but they are about a 5 mile hike in and out. That is our first option but it makes for a long day if the weather doesn’t cooperate for us. Hoping for some luck and to put her first deer in the dirt if the opportunity is right 👍🏼

There is no such thing as a public land honey hole in SE Montana.
Not may places where you need to walk five miles. I was in one of those places today and it is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago.

There is no such thing as a public land honey hole in SE Montana.
Not may places where you need to walk five miles. I was in one of those places today and it is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago.
I guess it would depend on who you are talking to. There is a lot of public land that isnt accessible by roads.. not trying to argue but I’ve hunted in a lot of public land areas that you don’t run into anyone after you get 2 miles from the road.. and a honey hole is what you make it. To me, it’s no pressure from other hunters and the likelihood of seeing someone else is slim. Dosnt neccasarily have to be a “trophy” quality spot.

As

stated in your original post, you recently moved to Utah. You do not meet the criteria to hunt as a Montana resident. You lost the right to a resident tag as soon as your primary residence changed states.

This is not entirely correct. If he was a resident when he purchased his licenses and then moved, he can still hunt as a resident in MT. He just can’t begin establishing resident status in UT at the same time.

I guess it would depend on who you are talking to. There is a lot of public land that isnt accessible by roads.. not trying to argue but I’ve hunted in a lot of public land areas that you don’t run into anyone after you get 2 miles from the road.. and a honey hole is what you make it. To me, it’s no pressure from other hunters and the likelihood of seeing someone else is slim. Dosnt neccasarily have to be a “trophy” quality spot.

Art knows the Custer as well as anyone. Just take his word for it.

Mr. Radar the guru of SE........ better listen children class is in session.

And how many 2 year olds first year 4s did you see and how many 6 plus year olds bucks did you see.......

Back