PEAX Equipment

South Dakota Antelope

Jimbo876

Due to the cancelation of a fishing trip to Mexico, a couple of friends and I are considering trying a bow hunt for antelope the first week of September or so. We are all midwest whitetail hunters and would like to try some spot and stalk. This is a very last minute idea, so I am looking for any info that anyone would be kind enough to provide... areas, tips, rules, etc... Thanks!

Jim

I hunted the north west cooner of the state last year some low numbers do to winter kill and I heard this year they had a nother rough winter.
I was in the south west corner of state earlier this spring saw quite a few down there but saw tons in Nebraska in the ogalala national grass lands and was able to creep within to 40 yds of several of them.
Good luck keep us informed

most of the antelope are south west. custer county and fall river county are my two favorites to try for pronghorn. plenty of public land. should be able to print or order maps at gfp.sd.gov, I personally haven't browsed the new website to look for the maps yet.

Well I just got off the phone with a guy at the Nebraska Game and Parks service and he has me leaning towards Nebraska. He said 09 was the highest archery sucsess rate ever along with the oldest year class of animals taken. Plus the tags are cheaper. He also said that the grasslands is the place to go.

If you do wish to hunt SD, the SW corner in Fall River County is good fun. Lots of goats, not many people, and lot's of public access. Not any monsters there on public land, but plenty of mature 12-14".

Spend the money and buy a buck decoy, they'll be rutting.

Yeah i would say that the northwest part of SD would be a tough hunt. The season in ND was cancled this year because of 2 bad winters and the hardest hit area was in southwest ND including the northwest part of SD. Just some info for you, hope it helps. I would say Nebraska would be an awesome hunt. Good luck.

I live in the northern Black Hills and hunt in Butte & Harding counties. I know the numbers are down the last 2 years, but there are still a lot of animals out there. I'm not sure what areas in the "northwest" everyone is referring to, but last year we saw plenty of nice bucks and things are looking promising this year as well. All on public land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back