First Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Randy's guessing....just like anyone else. You will always hav e a better chance with special no matter what...who wants to pay 2x the regular amount? Not everyone...but it will for sure give you better odds at this time IMO.
Not true. I found some cases over the years where the special was not as good as the regular, not many, but it does not alway mean a better chance…

Randy's guessing....just like anyone else. You will always hav e a better chance with special no matter what...who wants to pay 2x the regular amount? Not everyone...but it will for sure give you better odds at this time IMO.
What do you suggest for a 65 year old guy with one point, hunting solo and almost no experience in Antelope hunting?Plus having a two full days drive just to get there.

What do you suggest for a 65 year old guy with one point, hunting solo and almost no experience in Antelope hunting?Plus having a two full days drive just to get there.
I hate to speculate for anyone, especially someone with just 1 point. I will say, don't let age be an issue, if you don't want to go solo try to find a partner, they have a group here for it. Look at the draw odds yourself or find a tool to do it for you, some are free and some cost money. I will also say with just 1 point I'm not sure going special vs not special will make much of a difference. Good luck !

Consider going with an outfitter, just because with only one point the units you'll be able to draw will be mostly private land.

Book with an outfitter. That is the only reliable way to hunt on private property in areas that you can draw with one point. The good outfitters often are fully booked early, and some of them are booked years in advance, so contact them soon.

Crazy thing about 8 years ago you could get a second leftover tag in addition too your regular tag in those units. Times have changed. It's possible to shoot 4 animals but your gonna see plenty of other hunters and you all will be driving by those public parcels all day looking for a goat to wander by. If your concerned about health issues, go hunt, you will get some not sure if you will get 4 though.

Marginal units you may need to hump it to fill a tag. You described a situation with someone in poor/failing health and wanting to make a trip sooner than later. For your situation I'd be calling around to book with an outfitter.

I’ve hunted in a few of those units and have had mixed results but always had lots of company and not much game. Most of the lopes we saw were on private ground. With lots of driving, glassing and putting miles on our boots we did turn up a few bucks on BLM too. I’m concur with some of the others, save your points and hunt a better unit or pay a trespass fee. Good luck.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back