First Wyoming Antelope Hunt

AlleghenyElk

I'm planning on taking my son, dad, and father-in-law on our first antelope hunt in Wyoming this coming fall. We only have 1 point but would like to try to draw this year because of my dad's health. Don't want to waste years building points and end up with him not being able to go. I'm looking at units 22, 23, 17, and 16. From what I can tell these units are able to be drawn with 1 point possibly. I understand access can be difficult in these types of units, but it seems like there may be enough access to let us get some boots on the ground and possibly see some antelope. Enjoying hunting camp with my son, dad and father-in-law is far more important than tags being filled but it would definitely be an added bonus to fill a tag or two. Like I said before, we've never hunted antelope before, so any advice or info is appreciated. Not looking for anyone's secret spot!! Thanks

I have tried hunting in a 1 point Antelope Unit, and found that it really wasn't a good experience overall. If you simply cannot wait a few years to stack some Antelope preference points, you should consider looking into trespass hunts in those units that you mentioned- the extra money spent will be well worth it, if you do your research and get a decent ranch to hunt.

Good luck but i think you should look in a different direction, keep building lope points. Your 1 point will limit opportunity greater than you can imagine unless you find a trepass hunt. Why not do a cow elk or deer hunt, significantly better opportunity and likely enjoyment. FYI expect possible even further reductions in avaliable antelope tags this spring making any unit harder to draw.

Last edited:
As others have said 3 tags in a 1 point unit is a recipe for frustration. A trespass hunt could be the ticket but will up your cost. Is your son under 18? If so and I were in your shoes I'd be looking to get him a youth tag in New Mexico or Colorado. Youth get first choice during Colorado's secondary draw it's a amazing opportunity for a parent trying to get their kid a decent tag. I'm sure you and your father in law would enjoy helping your son be successful as much as hunting yourselves.

With the special price hike going into effect in 2024 that's not a guarantee. Or at least that's what uncle Randy said.
Randy's guessing....just like anyone else. You will always hav e a better chance with special no matter what...who wants to pay 2x the regular amount? Not everyone...but it will for sure give you better odds at this time IMO.

Pre-Covid any of those units were very doable, but the dynamic has changed considerably.
If you MUST go next season, then by all means put your names in the hat. People get lucky every year. Like stated above, one point will make three tags unlikely. Worse is if you get drawn you almost need a parking reservation to find a place to park as those units have seen large crowds the past few years.
We live inside one of the areas you mentioned and hunt the others (for other species or private).

Unfortunately for you guys, the Special may be the way to go, but who knows what those tags hold with recent developments.

As a resident we have to put in for the antelope draw just like a NR. Unfortunately, residents cannot build points so we are back at square one when we do not draw our area of choice.

My advice is to study as much as you can on the G&F website and put in. You may get lucky! If not, you will learn more about the system each year and eventually will get drawn. It may not be in the time period you were hoping for, but that is a curse we all face now.

Another option is to pool your $$$ and go guided on a private ranch. Again, not the best option but it may be necessary to accomplish your goal.

I've hunted some there. If you go end of season it will be better. Some have doe tags that go after buch ends, that can work as well. First week, good luck

I've hunted a couple of those on public land. One was an easy hunt that lasted a couple hours, another was a brutal 20 mile slog. I think the latter was more typical of the hunt you will get if you're trying to get 3 or 4 buck antelope in a week. I have ideas, pm me if you want to discuss.

Well there’s only death and taxes but those units look pretty close to a sure thing in the special and probably regular draws with one point.

The units you are looking at took a “halfish” point to draw last year in the regular. I’ve hunted three units that would have taken “2ish” points to draw. I’ve not hunted the units you mentioned, but based on my experience, those could be awful frustrating units. I wouldn’t pay the special price for them. The “hunt” quality will likely be pretty low. However, there’s no reason you can’t have an awesome hunting camp and enjoy time spent with family. You could probably fill a tag or two. But as others have said, if you are looking for a quality “hunting” experience I’d consider other options. Good luck.

Last edited:
None of those hunt areas will provide a fun hunt for someone in mediocre health. That country isn't flat, the animals are pushed miles into the interior, and you're going to walk your ass off while seeing numerous other hunters.

The only reason those areas have gone from leftover to a point draw is NR desperation.

You might contact the biologist or GW and inquire about trespass fee ranches in those areas.
Sounds like 4 tags , not 3, and that is a tall order in some of those areas.

Cow elk might be better as stated.
pm sent

Having spent time in three of those units, here are my thoughts:
1. If you are planning a DIY, public land hunt, it will require significant effort for access and success.
2. Finding private land, with a trespass fee will run you $300-1000, but it will also make your hunt very worthwhile. Finding these opportunities will be just as difficult as the first option.
3. If you can wait two more years, build up a few points you will likely find two things: better antelope numbers (God willing) and a higher quality hunt. It will be in a unit other than those you listed.
4. If you truly care more about the hunting camaraderie than the tag filling, and you don't care about bucks and are willing to shoot does, you can have a great hunt in those units and get a few tags for the price of one buck.

I'm in WY every fall for antelope, and I wouldn't miss it for nearly anything, but If you haven't been yet and and this is a one and done experience, I would invest a bit more into it.

You could apply for doe tags in a unit with good access as a group, and have a better hunt. No points in the doe tag draw

Trespass hunts on good ranches are extremely rare anymore, if they exist at all. Most of the good ranches are leased by outfitters, or the owners only let people that they know hunt there.

Drawing doe tags is tough. A few years ago doe tags were easy and hunters often took multiple does, but that is simply not the case today. Drawing an Any Antelope tag (commonly referred to as a buck tag) and filling the tag with a doe sometimes is the best solution.

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely need to talk with the other guys and see if they would prefer to wait another year or 2 or maybe try for doe tags or a different route all together. Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back