Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

South America

Europe

I could put this in the wings and feathers part of the forum or other big game animal's part of the forum or here I guess

Some have asked about Dove hunting, some about big game hunting and some about the Amazon River trip's I will touch on all three in one post.

I LOVED South America AND Central America. We visited several times. We found it to be less expensive (to hunt and visit ) than Africa, Europe and New Zealand/Australia ( hunting costs as well as lodging and travel )

You do need to do some research and make sure your not hunting a high fence hunt on a small farm. However if it is even a 5000 acre ranch, it can be a fair chase hunt, but you can find ranches to hunt much, much larger ( 30000,40000, 50000 acres )

The Lodges are very nice, comfortable and some are in settings that are just beautiful. Not necessarily better than Europe, but better than Africa. But the lodge "grounds" are much larger and well kept.

The Dove hunting is spectacular. Anyone who loves bird hunting has got to hunt Doves in Argentina at least once. You do not need to take your shotgun, as they have loaners, but you can. You can easily shoot 1000 a day, more.

Also before I forget, the fishing is also very good and they have some different fish, like the Peacock Bass and Golden Dorado

Big Game. Red Stag, Ibex, Blackbuck, Muflon, Axis and Fallow Deer, are the ones we enjoyed hunting but they have many more species that one can hunt

Dove hunting is spectacular and so much fun.

Their water buffalo are not good hunts IMHO, remember this is NOT like hunting Cape Buffalo in Africa. You might still be able to hunt Puma but dont think you can bring any part of the animal back to the U.S.

A couple animals that you can't hunt, but are interesting to see are their Spectacled Bear and Marsh Deer. Love the coloring of those animals

If you enjoy horse back riding they have those types of hunts as well. and they are spectacular--the scenery is just beautiful.

Did I mention Dove hunting.

And even if you dont hunt, South America offers so much. The Amazon river trips were magnificent. If you love viewing animals, plants, birds, fish, reptiles, the Amazon River trip is amazing. It is important to view the Amazon from a boat to truly "see" the Amazon at its finest, but if time permits try to go to Tree House Lodge on the Amazon in Peru. But take your boat trip in Brazil. While in Peru try to see Macho Picchu, it is worth the price of admission, so to speak.

And of course Copacabana Beach in Rio provides a certain amount of viewing pleasure. LOL

Hunting wife. Besides the Amazon River, if time permits try to go to the Galapagos ( Ecuador ) you will love the plants and animals. Very unique wildlife, that can only be found on those islands . On the Amazon, take the best tour ship you can afford, for the best viewing experience and for the best tours into the rainforest by the cruise line guides. Plus the new boats have air conditioned cabins and you will thank me for this suggestion. Ir is amazing when you land and get off the plane, you literally can not breath, it is so humid. You will need a shower before you get to the bus outside the terminal -----BUT, you will love the trip up the Amazon river and I think you would also enjoy the Galapagos Islands.

Did I mention the Dove hunting in Argentina ?

Peacock bass fishing has been on the top of my Bucket list for 30 years! Hope I get it done some day!

Patagonia is spectacular. My wife and I did a two month backpacking/fishing trip through both Chilean and Argentinian Patagonia about 10 years ago. Multiple times we were welcomed into people’s homes, fed, and given a place to stay. Some of the nicest people we’ve ever met. The fly fishing was fairly incredible too...

I agree. I have had the privilege of being able to travel to several locations in South America including Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Guyana, Suriname, and Venezuela. I have been able to see Machu Picchu, Angel Falls, and get mugged and robbed in Rio de Janeiro. My wife and I are very seriously considering retiring in Argentina. My favorite country was Venezuela, but that was before the place became a dumpster fire politically. I have never been treated with more hospitality as I was with the people of Venezuela.

I’ve visited Costa Rica and Belize. Belize was ok, but Costa Rica was incredible. Especially being a biology nerd, the wildlife was incredible. No hunting allowed, but we did catch Peacock Bass and another little cichlid that I’m not sure the name of. But visiting the little villages and farms was amazing. We spent a lot of time talking to the locals about the plants they were growing and how to prepare them. Incredibly warm and kind people. Some of the best foods I’ve ever eaten! Plus the birding...120+ species on that trip, the vast majority being lifers for me. Will go back there someday.

We’ve toyed with doing a bird hunt in Argentina...either doves or waterfowl. Some of their duck species are very intriguing. Maybe some of the deer too. Would love to just see the Amazon before it’s completely altered, the Pantanal, Patagonia, Machu Picchu...so many places on the bucket list!

I'm down in the Pantanal as I type. The wildlife is quite incredible. Haven't done any processing of photos yet so no pics to add but have seen some pretty amazing critters the past five days. A courting pair of jaguars at about 15 yards today. Up to the Amazon next week for peacock bass fishing and more wildlife viewing.

muskeez. I also hope you get that one scratched off your list

rtraverdavis. I bet that was fun, great memories

Greyman, sorry about the robbery. That does happen in Rio. I forgot the number of robberies, mainly pick pocket robberies that they say happens during Carnival but it was very high. However I do like Rio. We have a friend who retired in Argentina, bought a ranch, some cows and they loved it. It is sad what happen to Venezuela,

Hunting Wife. We almost bought a home in Costa Rica in the 80's, it is a beautiful country. And if you enjoyed the variety of birds in Costa Rico, you have to plan an Amazon river trip. You will love it. Birds, plants, a variety of other wildlife, it would be a wonderful vacation for you and hunting husband. And one certainly can enjoy Argentina without hunting, especially if one likes the wildlife and plants as you do. I hope you and your husband are able to get there soon.

Kaitum What great timing for this thread. Continue to enjoy your trip. Seeing those Jaguars had to be an exciting encounter for you. You will enjoy the Peacock Bass fishing, have fun!

Ever since I saw them on River monsters I've wanted to catch an arapaima. I think that's the spelling. Seems like a cross between a sturgeon and a musky.

I'd love to see a jaguar and a spectacled bear as well.

Are all hunts on ranches? And also, is there a way to were through and find a reputable outfit?

my mother and father loved Argentina and talk about their hunt there often. I have not been but hope to do so someday

April, how is the dove hunting there ? :love:

I'm down in the Pantanal as I type. The wildlife is quite incredible. Haven't done any processing of photos yet so no pics to add but have seen some pretty amazing critters the past five days. A courting pair of jaguars at about 15 yards today. Up to the Amazon next week for peacock bass fishing and more wildlife viewing.

Would love to see pics sometime if you’re willing to share.

I have always wanted to hunt someplace warm :)

All you guys and gals who have done or are doing these types of outings, I am envious!

I would think your shoulder might be a tad sore after 1000 rounds in one day, but it sounds like fun.

I had to look up some of the animals and fish mentioned, some very interesting fish, loved the bear.

So, how's the dove hunting?
Seriously though, I have been looking at a hunt there but most are pretty expensive. I prefer a no frills or Unguided type hunt.

I've been reading and looking at videos of dorado fishing in Bolivia. Stunning stuff. Holy Smokes! Never been to Bolivia, but that would do it.

Interesting thread considering my wife and I compared thoughts about Chiloé Island. Looks like a relaxing vacation.
Had a chance to visit any islands within your adventures of South America? I read your Galapagos islands portion. Sounds interesting though would like a bit of the cozy stay setting, the not so resort-ish vacation that maintains some semblance of couples r&r.

Not for the hunt aspects. Strictly for the relaxation. Fishing, scuba - though I've heard some areas are the Great White's turf...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back