Sous Vide then smoke?

As I said, I never had any issues with texture. The skirt steak picture in #17 (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/first-sous-vide-meal.234542/) was cooked at 118F for 5 hours, and as you can see, there is no issue, and not dry. Frankly, I do not know how you can make it dry when it is vacuum sealed and in a water bath.

View attachment 233102
View attachment 233103
View attachment 233104
View attachment 233105

The well done was for the wife. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 233106

The key is to know your meat and how to cook them. I never overcook my meat, regardless of the means of cooking. Depending on the cut, I like mine, blue rare. Cheers!
Yep, all looks good. 5 hours on skirt isn't bad as it has enough connective tissue to keep it moist.

Its possible to dry meat out even in a wet, sealed environment because at some point you denature the proteins and they can't hold any moisture. This is especially prevalent in cuts with little connective tissue because rendered collagen is WAY more effective at holding moisture than muscle is.

Thus, backstrap isn't great for long cooks because it will develop an offputting texture. For traditional braising cuts (like shoulder) you can go 24-48 hours at 60+ C and not be too worried about texture because of all the collagen.

Yep, all looks good. 5 hours on skirt isn't bad as it has enough connective tissue to keep it moist.

Its possible to dry meat out even in a wet, sealed environment because at some point you denature the proteins and they can't hold any moisture. This is especially prevalent in cuts with little connective tissue because rendered collagen is WAY more effective at holding moisture than muscle is.

Thus, backstrap isn't great for long cooks because it will develop an offputting texture. For traditional braising cuts (like shoulder) you can go 24-48 hours at 60+ C and not be too worried about texture because of all the collagen.
As I said, know your meat and how to cook them correctly.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back